MASON, George/ SATCHELL, Mary Ann - Stepney, England

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MASON, George/ SATCHELL, Mary Ann - Stepney, England

Can any of our members please help me in finding the parents of my George MASON b: c1784 chr: St Dunstan, Stepney ... some of his siblings were:
    William b: 1782 chr: St Dunstan Stepney who m: Mary PALMER1803 St Dunstan & his 2 sisters Elizabeth 1787 & Sarah Ann 1785.

Would love to learn of George's wife's (Mary Ann Satchell) parents also please. May have been Richard Satchell but not at all sure.

Any help on the above would be greatly appreciated.

Thankyou,
    Dimcl NZ

I wonder if this would be a better question for the Q&A section?

There is a christening of George Mason, s/o George and Catherine Mason on Mar 1785 at ST MARY WHITECHAPEL,STEPNEY,LONDON,ENGLAND
    familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.2/9CN3-4T7/p1

Comment

Your thread is more suited to our Research Qs & As forum, so am moving it over!
      Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Dimcl View Post
        Can any of our members please help me in finding the parents of my George MASON b: c1784 chr: St Dunstan, Stepney ... some of his siblings were:
        William b: 1782 chr: St Dunstan Stepney who m: Mary PALMER1803 St Dunstan & his 2 sisters Elizabeth 1787 & Sarah Ann 1785.
        Where did you find the information that they were christened at St. Dunstan Stepney?

The Parishregister.com website - click here - have transcribed the registers for St. Dunstan Stepney, and a free search of the 1770 - 1798 registers for St. Dunstan, using the surname MASON, has produced the following entries:

Alfred Richardson Mason, Andrew Turnbull Mason, Henry Christian Mason, James Mason, James Henry Mason, John Mason, Joseph Mason, Mary Mason, Matthew Mason, Octavius Staples Mason, Richard Mason, Sarah Mary Mason, Sarah Woolmore Mason, Thomas Mason, William Mason, William Mason
        Elaine

Comment

Thankyou again for your help & lookup for my George Mason's family.

regards,
          Di NZ

Comment

Thankyou for moving my query to Q&A's Elaine - still finding out the ropes on this site.
            A fellow researcher in England gave me the details of George Mason being christened at St. Dunstan, Stepney.

Greatly appreciate your giving me the link to the Parish records and also looking up his children's names - a big breakthru for our family as we have until recently known about George Mason b: 1810 (sailor on revenue cutter - Vansittart") who settled in Okain's Bay, NZ
            .Would it be advisable to do a separate post for his wife Mary Ann SATCHELL family please?

regards,
            Di

Comment

Di, re the St Dunstans Stepney baptism. It seems a bit odd that he is not showing up in the results list of the registers transcribed by ParishRegister.com website.
              Do you know where your contact found the information?
              Elaine

Comment

I wonder if this is the family

George Mason - Baptism 23 Sep 1781 St Dunstan in The West, London
                William Mason - Baptism 15 Dec 1782 St Dunstan in The West, London
                Sarah Ann Mason - Baptism 21 Aug 1785 St Dunstan in The West, London
                Elizabeth Mason - Baptism 16 Dec 1787 St Dunstan in The West, London

parents are Robert Mason and Elizabeth Mason

source: LMA parish records on Ancestry
                Elaine

Comment

Looking at the actual images:
                  George born 3rd September - address Ram Ally
                  William born 18 November - address Ram Alley
                  Sarah born 28th July - address Ram Alley
                  Elizabeth born 20th November - address Ram Alley
                  Elaine

Comment

Do you know anything about Mary Ann Satchell - approx. year of birth.
                    Where did Mary and George marry?
                    Elaine

Comment

This is about the only possibility I can come up with.

Mary Ann Satchwell (born 10 February)
                      Baptism Date: 5 Mar 1775 St Faith Under St Paul
                      Parents: Thomas and Sarah Satchwell.

St. Faith under St. Paul is in the City of London - as is St Dunstan in The West where the Mason baptisms took place.
                      Elaine

Comment

Just to confirm the marriage of William Mason and Mary Palmer was St. Dunstans Stepney

William Mason / Mary Palmer
                        Marriage : 02 Nov 1803 St Dunstan and All Saints, Stepney, Middlesex.

source: LMA parish registers on Ancestry
                        Elaine

Comment

.. and the marriage for George

George Mason / Mary Ann Satchell
                          Marriage - 29 Jul 1806, St Dunstan and All Saints, Stepney, Middlesex.

source: LMA parish registers on Ancestry

You probably already have these!!
                          Elaine

Comment

Elaine thank you once again for your lookups and time helping me.
                            The following I have printed & pasted from my Mason forum at proboards.com

George MASON Snr

Born: 03 Sept 1781 in Ram Ally, Middlesex, England
                            Baptised: 23 Sept in St. Dunstan in The West, London, England
                            Died: Abt. 1828 in Stephney,Middlesex, England
                            Buried: 12 Mar 1828 at St James, Pentonville
                            Occupation: Landscape Painter Abt. 1810 aged 29yrs in Middlesex, England
                            Father: MASON
                            Mother: Elizabeth Unknown

Married: 29 July 1806 at St. Dunstan & All Saints Stepney (Stepney became part of the newly created London borough of Tower Hamlets in 1965)
                            Spouse: Mary Ann SATCHELL
                            Born: 28 April 1784 in Marylebone, London, England
                            Baptised: 06 Feb 1785 in St. Marylebone, Middlesex, England
                            Died: Mar 1867 aged 79yrs in Middlesex, England
                            Father: SATCHELL
                            Mother:

Notes:

Witnesses to George & Mary Ann's marriage were:
                            Frederick MASON & Daniel PRICE

George was living in Tower Hamlets, was a member of the Parish, but had come from another parish earlier on.

Mary Ann's residence in 1861 aged 73yrs was Islington St. Mary, Middlesex, England

Only known child of George & Mary MASON (at this stage)

George MASON b: 1810 bapt: 12 Mar 1810, Middlesex, England d: 1889 in Okain's Bay, Banks Peninsula NZ.

I will enquire from my contact in England where she obtained the records she kindly shared with me. She has her tree on Ancestral but I don't have a paid sub. in order to view it.

Your help is greatly appreciated. Thankyou,
                            Di NZ
                            Last edited by Dimcl; 06-09-11, 00:59.

Comment

I think my query is solved Di. You originally said the Mason family was baptissed in St. Dunstan Stepney, which was causing the problem because I couldn't find them there.
                              I found them in St. Dunstan in the West - a totally different church and location - and this matches the information given by your contact.
                              So to add to your infomration you now have the parents names - Robert Mason & Elizabeth Mason.

The info I have give you about Mary Ann Satch(w)ell in post #11 is presumably incorrect as it doesn't match the info you have already got (post #14)'
                              I'll check to see if I can find anything else.
                              Elaine

Comment

Thank you Elaine..it is wonderful to have someone with your expertise helping me & confirming through records what is correct or incorrect. Sorry to mislead you with incorrect church & place showing up my lack of knowledge of those areas....always learning which is great.

Thankyou for continuing to search more details re Mary Ann Satchell & family - I feel very fortunate.
                                warm regards,
                                Di NZ

Comment

Not an expert Di, just happy to try to help. I see you are from New Zealand so it's hardly surprising that you don't recognise or know the London place names!

The information you have given for Mary Ann Satchell in post #14 comes from the IGI (International Genealogical Index) on Family Search - and tallies with what is there. The only snippet of information I can add is that her parents were Richard Satchell and Mary.
                                  Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.
                                  Elaine

Comment

Elaine...again a big thankyou & also for your understanding about my lack of knowledge of London etc. which I very much hope to remedy their summer of 2012.

One thing I found strange with Mary Satchell details on IGI was that she died 20 Dec 1785, so either someone has made a mistake on there or otherwise it might be another Mary Satchell. as mine apparently died March 1867 aged 79yrs.

Thankyou so much for all your wonderful help Elaine.

Warm regards,
                                    Di ChCh NZ

Comment

Yes, I see what you mean. My fault for not checking it properly but as you say the death date does not tally.
                                      It says the IGI entry is an "extracted birth or christening record" which means it has been transcribed from the parish registers.
                                      In my experience, I have found very few "extracted burial records".

Being from the Marylebone district(London), the registers don't seem to be available via Ancestry who have a number of extracts from the LMA records (London Metropolitan Archives) - which is where I found your St. Dunstan records. I think Marylebone records would be held at the Westminster Archives, which unfortunately are not available online.
                                      Elaine

Comment

if it has a burial date on the extracted christening record it is then an actual record. if the record is submitted then you need to double check the registers. well you need to double check the register anyway, but extracted records are more likely to be accurate.

Comment

Working...
                                        X