X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well done Scuda.

Comment

Originally posted by scuda View Post
      Louise has emailed me to say she has now registered here and is waiting for her confirmation email in order to post. Definitely the right family.

scuda
      Brilliant work Scuda!!

Comment

Thanks Jane and Margaret - you're making me blush!

scuda
        Pitman / Pittman in North Glos (Didbrook, Prestbury, Longhope, Tewkesbury, Stow, Cirencester, etc), London & Australia

Comment

Can someone help Louise please. She has emailed to say she can log on but can't post.

scuda
          Pitman / Pittman in North Glos (Didbrook, Prestbury, Longhope, Tewkesbury, Stow, Cirencester, etc), London & Australia

Comment

This is my husband's family!
            William Richard Gosling - born 2 Mar 1856, Guildford, Ripley, Surrey, England; Died 4 Jun 1920, Nelson, British Columbia, Canada
            Parents: John Gosling & Elizabeth Thomas - John's father was John and Elizabeth's father was Richard.
            John & Elizabeth married 13 May 1845, Saint Mary, Lambeth, Surrey - John Gosling Jr., full age, bachelor, draper, residence at time of marriage - Dover, Kent; father John Gosling occupation draper.
            Elizabeth Thomas, full age, spinster, residence at time of marriage Lansdowne Terrace, father Richard Thomas, glazier. witnesses: John Thomas & Louisa Gosling.
            Children: Mary, Emma, Caroline, Elizabeth, John, Ellen, William Richard.
            William Richard Gosling came to Canada and settled in Williamsburg, Ontario - he worked as a butcher - for which he had trained in England.
            He married 21 Nov 1877 Martha Casselman. They later moved to Saskatchewan and obtained homestead land. Their childre: Elizabeth, Rhoda, John, Mary, Nora & James. Martha died 6 May 1906 and is buried in Moosejaw, Sask. Of these children, Mary married Asa Willsie in 1905 - one of their 15 children was Mary, who married Charles Smart; one of their 6 children is James, who is my husband.
            William moved to Victoria B.C. and married Annie Elizabeth Rendall - they had one child, George Gosling.
            I do have marriage certificates, death registrations and a small family snapshot of William, Martha & their children.
            The Bible would be a very welcome addition to our book shelf. My husband, Jim is presently battling lung cancer - he is doing well and the prognosis is "potentially curable" - he hasn't been able to go fishing and TV is boring. Getting a nudge back into family history is a good thing! I do the research but he loves to "read all about it!"
            Louise Everest
            PS I kept my name when Jim & I got together - so we are Jim Smart & Louise Everest - just in case you're wondering!

Comment

Ah, problem solved, I see Louise is here - welcome to FTF

scuda

Comment

Sunflower, welcome to FTF and maybe you'll stay a while and we can help with any of your brick walls!

You might like to send GrandpaT a private message(PM) to tell him you are here - do this by clicking on his name at the beginning of this thread, he is in Canada too so it shouldn't cost too much to get the bible shipped to you.

PMs are passed trough on emails so it might prompt GrandpaT to come and see what you have said.
                Margaret

Comment

If this posted the first time and it is up again...sorry about that, I'm still struggling with treads/postings, etc. I'll catch on eventually (I hope)

Wow! You folks are GREAT! Thanks from me and I'm sure from Sunflower as now we both have a connection for the Bible. Sunflower, where are you in Canada? I'm here in Victoria and we are planning a trip back to Moose Jaw (my and Linda's home town by the way) in July of 2012 for a Cottingham family reunion in Saskatoon. I could take pictures of your Martha's grave if you wish. My brother in law in Moose Jaw does a lot of work with the graves registration section at the city hall and could look up additional information if you so wish. He's the one that got me started in this Genealogy thing...I still have not decided if it was a blessing or a curse! If you have need of searching here in Victoria, please tell me. I'm really excited about finding you as I absolutely refused to just throw this book away and destroy someone's chance of a historical connection. Please contact me by this thread or by personal e-mail. I am looking forward to working with you on this. This Bible weighs about 20 pounds so I guess the only practical way of shipping it would be by Greyhound bus.
                  Again....thanks everyone!
                  Now back to my Townsend/Cottingham/Tewksbury digging .
                  If anyone does need research here in BC please let me know.

Comment

PhotoFamily...Thanks for your help. As you can see your advice worked! Sorry I can't send you the Bible even though you wish you could have it...it is going to Sunflower.
                    Maybe next time .
                    Have a great day.

Comment

A good result Grandpa T and well done to scuda a job well done!!!

Edna

Comment

Sunflower: I evidently have something turned on that will not allow your PM through on my regular e-mail address. Please contact me at email address removed

Thanks...sorry about that.email
                        Last edited by Elaine ..Spain; 30-08-11, 00:35. Reason: email address removed

Comment

Thanks to everyone - Grandpa T has been contacted! Thanks Grandpa T for hanging on to that book - I will share copies of the family pages with a great number of cousins!
                          I will be around - and hopefully can help solve "brick walls" as well.
                          Families I am researching: Roll, Trotter, Everest, Holford, Hill and many others, in England. Hunder, Dibble, Gleason, in the USA and all of these in Canada - from sea to sea. I have done some research in Saskatchewan and may be able to help a bit.
                          I have been researching for 25 years and have made a lot of trips to Salt Lake City to read films and fiche - the internet is much easier, but SLC is a great place to go!
                          Sunflower

Comment

Sorry Grandpa T but I have had to remove your email address from the previous post. It is not something we recommend on an open forum. If you click on Sunflower's name, to the left of any of her posts, you will find an option to send her a private message. Click on that and send your email address to her that way.
                            When you send such a private message Sunflower will receive notification of it via her email address. When responding to private messages you must log into the forum.

Once you have exchanged email addresses then you can communicate with each other away from Family Tree Forum, should you wish!
                            Elaine

Comment

Sunflower I just now spoke to my brother in law in Moose Jaw and looked at the available cemetery records. Martha is not shown but he told me she may be in the old Moose Jaw Cemetery for which there is no internet record as yet. He will look up the records the next time he goes in and let me know what he finds. They may have had a family plot of a number of graves. He said he would also look up the Homestead records to see if he can get any information on it's location, size, etc. Hope this helps.
                              Don't forget to e-mail me. I'd love to chat.

Comment

Originally posted by Grandpa T View Post
                                PhotoFamily...Thanks for your help. As you can see your advice worked! Sorry I can't send you the Bible even though you wish you could have it...it is going to Sunflower.
                                Maybe next time .
                                Have a great day.
                                Well, I wish it were mine - for the MITCHELLS! What a great blessing you've provided to sunflower;D

Comment

Once again, thanks to all of you who researched, commented and cheered us on. The Gosling Family Bible (over 140 years old) is soon to be on the way to it's rightful owners. I spoke to my son who told me that it had been found in a home purchased by his ex father in law for a rental and his ex wife latched onto it to use the pages for Scrapbooking. Thank goodness we recovered it and it's family significance will now be enjoyed by John and Elizabeth's descendants. Mission Impossible has been accomplished again thanks to you all.
                                  Now, on to my own search for Cottinghams, Tewksburys and Townsends in England. I have a very good history of the family in the US and Canada but nothing in England prior to 1630. Guess I'll have to start a new tread. If this one was any example, I should be off and running shortly. See you on a thread again some time.

Comment

Pre 1630 research is extremely unlikely to be straightforward, but I'm sure the members here will do what they can to help.

Christine
                                    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

The Saga of the Gosling Family Bible has ended one chapter and begun another.
                                      The Bible arrived 27 Sep 2011 - it is a huge book - and considering it's great age (159 years) and many travels (England to Canada and in a number of residences across the country), is in remarkable condition.
                                      The family information contained within has confirmed my research as correct and has led me back to yet another generation of Ancestors! how exciting is that?!
                                      There are a number of things interleaved in the book - one a bookmark which is a handstitched card with blue ribbon attached and the initials EG (Could be Elizabeth or Ellen Gosling). Another item is a funeral card for Richard Thomas, Elizabeth's father. The family (or someone) pressed flowers between the pages - I have found stems - the petals are gone.
                                      Thank you Grandpa T for searching for us and sending this treasure on - it will be preserved and shared.
                                      Thanks to all who helped Grandpa T track us down.

Sunflower

Comment

oh Sunflower how lovely!! may I ask if you could take a photograph and show us?
                                        Julie
                                        They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Working...
                                        X