Hi from me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by clematised View Post
    http://www.tewkesburyfairsociety.co.uk/about.html This may be of interest and not checked the other links shown in this link but worth a look up

This link refers to it giving earlier dates when it visited Liverpool in 2008 for the Capitol of Culture year http://www.albertdock.com/index.php?page_id=1515

Hope this also helps

Edna
    That's really interesting - a large number of my ancestors come from Tewkesbury and I had not so far got around to filling in the social history for my tree so this is a great start for me My niece lives nearby and I shall certainly be looking to visit her when the Mop Fair is on so I can experience something of my ancestors lives.
    Margaret
    PS wouldn't it be great if Jonsbird1 could actually have a ride on the roundabout once owned by Albert

Comment

WOW you people don't half know your way round these sites. Thank you sooo much. I don't know where to begin.

Well I do, by telling you it took me over a year to find that Roundabout...Gallopers registered as Albert being the first owner in 1902 I think it said. I have just last week found another reference to the Greenway fair connection. http://www.netcomuk.co.uk/~kccsteb/fayre%20history.html its a long drawn out piece, but towards the bottom there is information about Greenaways steam roundabout. My Grandmother Sarah Rose Louise Nottage was the only daughter of Rose Emily [married to George Nottage] So I know the Greenway became Greenaway over time and they had lived a while at Stebbing.

I don't subscribe to any Ancestry sites at the mo as I had to give up my research for a while but intend renewing my subscription as soon as I have had my holiday in a couple of weeks. Meanwhile I idly put Albert's name into Google and come up with this site with a fairground section.

I am 73 years old and so wish I had asked my late mother so many questions before she had a stroke and eventually passed away. However I do have some memories of my own [being an oldie;)] from tales I was told as a little girl. of Granny Sarah used to dance on a hand made platform with other fairground children as a way of making money. Also seeing a small dismantles fairground roundabout behind the bus Granny used as living accomodation for a few years and bought up 5 children from her second marriage [ William Dow] I know nothing about him other than as my Mother told me he was a drunkard and kept Granny very short of money. Mother was an only child when her father died.

Now I must go back over this information and answer any questions you lovely people have been kind enough to look up for me.

Thank you so much again x

Comment

Originally posted by margaretmarch View Post
        'Curiouser and Curiouser'! they have stayed put around the east end for years and then suddenly start to move about!

I did consider the possibility we are looking at the wrong family but I don't think so. There are only 2 Albert Greenway b1845/46 and the other one is in Staffordshire all the while.

Margaret
        That made me smile that they had gone.

I have my grandmothers birth certificate so know she was born in Loughton Essex. That is right on the borders of London. Some of the old London boroughs are now part of the Essex so that can be deceiving.

Thankyou for your help. x

Comment

Originally posted by Caroline View Post
          You might find this page useful from our Reference Library:

http://www.familytreeforum.com/conte...men-Travellers
          Don't know why but I am denied access to the above link. Its telling me I may not have enough privileges? Anyone know why?

Comment

Originally posted by margaretmarch View Post
            Here they are in 1911

GREENWAY, Albert Head Married M 65 1846 Traveller With Runabouts And Savings
            GREENWAY, Sarah Wife Married F 64 1847 7 children born, 6 still living
            NOTTAGE, Sarah Granddaughter F 13 1898
            RG14PN9720 RG78PN514B RD188 SD10 ED46 SN318

Registration District: West Ham Sub District: Walthamstow Enumeration District: 46 Parish: Walthamstow

Address:
            Caravan Higham Hill Road County: Essex
            I wonder if that should read With Roundabouts and Savings Margaret. The Sarah Grandaughter will be my Grandmother I am thinking. I don't know what happened to her once her Mother passed away. There was also a brother so what happened to him is another mystery for another day. Thankyou x

Comment

Yes, I am sure you are right and the transcription is not - the image has a line struck through that word making it hard to read. The line is simply the enumerators counting/check off mark.

I've sent you a PM so check in the 'notifications' at the top of the page.

I also cannot access the link that has been given for this site and assume it has been accessed by a moderator and copied from there rather than by one of us 'mortals' LOL

Perhaps one of the moderators could rectify and give the correct link.

Margaret

Comment

Hopefully the link should work now -

For some reason we had the page listed as being "unpublished" which meant that members could not access it!
                Apologies.
                Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
                  Hopefully the link should work now -

For some reason we had the page listed as being "unpublished" which meant that members could not access it!
                  Apologies.
                  oops.. that might have been me, SORRY.. *slaps wrist*
                  Julie
                  They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

I have replied to your PM Margaret.

I've also just woken up..My husband was up at 5.15 to be taken to Silverstone with our son and Grandson. Consequently I got up and went mad with the cleaning before popping to my sisters for a lovely lunch. Got home and zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I'll wake up proper in a while and get back on here. x

Comment

I've replied to your email - both addresses as my brain was not 'in gear' when I did the first reply.
                      Margaret

Comment

Originally posted by Jonsbird1 View Post
                        So I know the Greenway became Greenaway over time and they had lived a while at Stebbing.

I don't subscribe to any Ancestry sites at the mo as I had to give up my research for a while but intend renewing my subscription as soon as I have had my holiday in a couple of weeks. Meanwhile I idly put Albert's name into Google and come up with this site with a fairground section.
                        Hi Jonsbird

I notice that you are in Essex (as am I). I don't know if you are aware but Essex Libraries gives access to several sites if you have a library membership.

Some are only available in the library, like Ancestry but you may wish to use that if you don't want to take out a sub. Others are available at home - you just have to put you library number in. One I use a lot is the British Library 19th Century Newspapers. I've just searched on there putting "Albert Greenway" (include the inverted commas) and the Entire document option and a few hits came up that you might find interesting.

The first one is on 17th October 1888 where an Albert Greenway of Reeves Place Hackney testified that his daughter, Matilda, married a Joseph Charles Jeffries but that it was a bigamous marriage because he was already married to someone else. I don't know if this is your family.

On April 15th 1899 there is an article under the heading "Dunmow" about Thaxted Fair where Albert Greenway of Higham Hill Walthamstow, steam circus proprieter, pleaded guilty to "placing a steam roundabout upon the Highway at Thaxted".

Then on November 7th 1899 an Albert Greenway, steam circus proprieter, was in court for allowing an unmuzzled ferocious dog to be at large at Melford. The article goes into more detail but there is a bit in there about his wife who "created much amusement" by asking permission to allow the dog to walk around the court to prove that it wasn't dangerous (this was denied).

If this is the same Albert it shows that he was a steam circus proprieter in 1899.
                        Jackie

Comment

Gosh am I glad I found this site.

Jackie I do have a Library membership so must certainly look into using that option. I am pretty certain these are the same Greenway family. I actually have a very old photo of Matilda with a small child. I knew none of the things you have written about but am overjoyed to read them. Right up until my Grandmothers death in 1968 the family were connected to Dunmow and many surrounding villages.

I've not see the steam circus propieter written before, only with a fairground connection. One of the same no doubt.

Thank you. x

Comment

I've sent you some more information by email to add to your collection.
                            Margaret

Comment

Excellent. Your a gem

Comment

Jackie I have logged onto the Library this evening and found it very interesting reading.

I also found a small article on my Grandfather from 1900 who had been fined 3/- & 7/- costs for swearing.

Seems my ancestors were not that well behaved

Comment

Originally posted by Jonsbird1 View Post
                                  Jackie I have logged onto the Library this evening and found it very interesting reading.

I also found a small article on my Grandfather from 1900 who had been fined 3/- & 7/- costs for swearing.

Seems my ancestors were not that well behaved
                                  Glad you're finding it useful. Its a fantastic resource - worth having a browse at what other publications are on there. Most counties have something like this but what they offer varies. Essex is one of the few that has the Guardian and Observer archives, again I have found things on there especially with my northern ancestors.

As for your ancestors not being well behaved - I would imagine that very few of us have no 'scandal' in the family. I've got a fair few villains amongst mine ;)
                                  Jackie

Comment

http://www.foxearth.org.uk/1907SuffolkFreePress.html May 8th 1907 an inquest on an employee

Edna

Comment

Thank you Edna. What a good find. I am amazed and so grateful to all who have taken time to search these informative articles.

:-))))))))))))))

Comment

Hi I’m a Greenway and noticed your interest in the Greenway family! What’s your connection?
                                        Albert Greenway is my great grandfather

Comment

Hi Arthur, Jonsbird hasn't been on for some time. Can I suggest that you send them a Private Message and if their E-mail address is up to date they will get a message from us advising them that you are trying to contact them. If you click on their name you will see the Private Message option.
                                          Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Working...
                                          X