• Show
Clear All

• Looking for photo's

the best guide I have got to so far is of my Grt Grt Grt grandad:
    Name: Joseph Keyse
    Born: 1790 Newent Gloustershire
    Military Service: 1813 - 1824 39th Foot Regiment
    Death: Abt 1838

I think this is a good amount of details but have no idea where to look for photo's I know I must seem thick but any idea's ?

Jane, if he died in 1838 I think it pretty unlikley there would be any photos of him at all. 1838 is about the earliest any photograph of people was taken and they were very experimental then.

Anne

Comment

thanks Anne yes I can see what you mean. I am a total beginner with this so you will have to bare with me. really kind of you to advise me. I will tick that one off as just a name and dates for now and work one closer reletives. Many thanks ,

Comment

Hello Jane,

I know you were after a photo of your 3xgt grandad, but maybe you can get a picture of the type of uniform he would've worn, (I know its not the same, but, it would give you, and future generations an idea of the sort of uniform he wore)
        Julie
        They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

If you click on this link below and scroll down to 'in the army again' paragraph you will see a picture of officers that were in the 39th

http://members.pcug.org.au/~pdownes/keenan/index.htm

this is a better one :smilee:

http://freepages.history.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~garter1/represen39th.htm
          Last edited by Darksecretz; 18-07-11, 20:14.
          Julie

Comment

Ohhh thats super I just showed my children and they were so excited! I so haven't a clue. My fella has asked me to start looking for his family tree now too I can see a full time hobby coming on!!!

Comment

LOL!! Jane,

I know what you mean, it IS addictive especially when you get that all important lead... things tend to snowball!.. I am pleased that the picture gives you an idea of the type of uniform that he would've worn.

hope you get into it and thoroughly enjoy it, like I do.. :smilee:
              Julie

Comment

Originally posted by Jane Keyse View Post
                Ohhh thats super I just showed my children and they were so excited! I so haven't a clue. My fella has asked me to start looking for his family tree now too I can see a full time hobby coming on!!!
                It was only a matter of time......now you're hooked ;)

Jacky
                Jacky

Comment

I find it so confusing tho but yes i think i am hooked. I am so glad this site is active. I have tried to find things out before but no one ever posted back and believe me I need lots of help!
                  I am a student nurse so time can get limited but i think when i have the time i will be researching morning noon and night!

Comment

I find it so confusing tho but yes i think i am hooked. I am so glad this site is active. I have tried to find things out before but no one ever posted back and believe me I need lots of help!
                    I am a student nurse so time can get limited but i think when i have the time i will be researching morning noon and night!
                    Well, Jane, we are very much an active forum, and if ever you have a question ask away!! there is no such thing as a silly question (except the one NOT asked!!) I am sure that there are folks out there that are just aching to help with any query you might have, and as you probably have seen if you ask something then hang around for a while, as replies can come thick and fast. Have a good look around the forum and just join in, you will soon be out there with the rest of us, having a laugh and getting help.
                    Julie

Comment

thanks so much what a friendly forum...
                      I have tried about 4 times to register with ancestry.co.uk but the payment page isn't working so i guess i am on hold for a while.

I am itching to get started now as you can tell its 11.30pm and i am still looking haha!

Comment

Jane, if you are seriously considering registering with Ancestry can I suggest that you hold off! There are deals to be had so no reason to pay the full price that Ancestry is quoting.
                        If you need more info then let us know and we will find the best deal of the day! ;)
                        Elaine

Comment

Well just an update, I registered with ancestry.co.uk (before reading your post Elain x x x ) I was on it till 2.30 am last night hahahaha. I found some wonderful definate links and i am thrilled to bits even hubby is doing his own tree also. I am so gutted as he has managed to find "paintings" of his ancesters. I haven't found any photo's or pictures yet. But I have lots of documents showing for me to look through so I am very excited about those! I am definately hooked. What the hell with the house work!

Comment

Well just an update, I registered with ancestry.co.uk (before reading your post Elain x x x ) I was on it till 2.30 am last night hahahaha. I found some wonderful definate links and i am thrilled to bits even hubby is doing his own tree also. I am so gutted as he has managed to find "paintings" of his ancesters. I haven't found any photo's or pictures yet. But I have lots of documents showing for me to look through so I am very excited about those! I am definately hooked. What the hell with the house work!
                            That's good that you've got the bug jane - ooooh but that last word is not something we generally talk about on here :D
                            Dorothy G

searching Gillett (Preston/Sheffield). Campbell and Hepburn in Glasgow

There's no such thing as a Free Lunch

Comment

Working...
                            X