Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Further to my ballonist relative

Balloonist even!!!!

I have found several more bits on google books but they all have the surname of the chap down as Goulston, so the question is "is he really one of mine"....

the aeronaut, James Goulston, known to the public as Signor Lunardini, lost his life. It appears that he attempted a descent in a heavy gale, the balloon received a sudden check in its flight from the grapnels, the car was overturned, ...

Does the 1851 census have a James Goulson or Goulston listed anywhere please and if so can someone post the details?

Thanks
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
    My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
    My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Glen, am I right in thinking that in one of the newspaper articles about him, that it mentioned the balloon had been made at his own factory, somewhere in London? If so have you checked trade directories?
    Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
      Glen, am I right in thinking that in one of the newspaper articles about him, that it mentioned the balloon had been made at his own factory, somewhere in London? If so have you checked trade directories?
      If it did Elaine I never knew about it, it just seems that with my lot being chemists, engineers, surgeons and, at times, money and time to indulge themselves he would fit right in. Seems they liked to travel abroad too with visits to Europe for example and the re are refs to ballooning escapades on the continent too.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

? 1851 census

James Goulston c1796 Surrey
        Elizabeth Goulston c 1815 Surrey
        Arthur Goulston c 1829 Surrey
        Anna Goulston c1832 Surrey
        Myra Goulston c 1833 Surrey, England Daughter
        Sarah Leach abt 1821 Hampshire - Servant

address: Kent Road, 13 Marlboro Terrace, Camberwell

The occupation for James is Manufacturer ..?.. Cloth.
        I have seen a reference to him (on Google) as an oil cloth maker - but the missing word on the census is not Oil.
        Elaine

Comment

He is mentioned on this page Glen - about two thirds of the way down. But I am sure I also saw a reference to him manufacturing his own balloon when I was looking through the newspaper articles, if I remember rightly it was on one that mentioned his son - ? an inquest report or something similar. Kent Road also rings a bell .. but not sure where from!

http://www.mae.uk.com/Manchester in the 1850's.PDF
          Elaine

Comment

Ha, as you mentioned Kent Road I found this via TNA

Will of James Goulston Floor Cloth Manufacturer Marlboro Terrace Old Kent Road , Surrey . Will of James Goulston Floor Cloth Manufacturer Marlboro Terrace Old Kent Road , Surrey
            Date: 1852

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

FATAL BALLOON ASCENT FROM BELLE-VUE GARDENS .
              The Lancaster Gazette, and General Advertiser for Lancashire, Westmorland, Yorkshire, &c. (Lancaster, England), Saturday, June 12, 1852; pg. 6; Issue

.2011-07-17_133006.jpg

Sorry - not a good image - hopefully you can just about read it (if you click on it!)
              Matches the 1851 census which I found

Edit: ... and the will that you found!
              Elaine

Comment

Thanks Elaine, at least it's the same chap in the PDF and the online probate document, looks like a download on the way in a day or two, not certain it would prove the link but a nice bit of info to have for the future.

Looking at the '51 you found, Myra Goulston c 1833 Surrey, England Daughter -

Marriages Dec 1859
                Cook Jane Camberwell 1d 742
                Goulston Myra Camberwell 1d 742
                Vincent James Camberwell 1d 742
                Wood Thomas William Camberwell 1d 742

None of the names/surnames, to my knowledge, appear in my tree so far.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Myra married Thomas William Wood. MC on LMA records on Ancestry, mistranscribed as Myra Goulton.
                  Father - James Goulson - occ. ..?.. Cloth Manufacturer.

I think the word I can't make out on the MC occupation is the same as the one on the census.

xx.jpg
                  Elaine

Comment

Looks a lot like "Hon Cloth" but with the benefit of other sources I'd say it's "floor cloth"

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Looks like the bapt of James....

Name: James Goulston
                      Baptism/Christening Date: 27 Sep 1795
                      Baptism/Christening Place: St. George the Martyr's, Southwark, Surrey, England
                      Birth Date: 26 Aug 1795

Father's Name: Joseph Goulston
                      Mother's Name: Elizabeth Goulston

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Hi,

I have just found your query - I suggest you look at this link.
                        universidad, university, Rey Juan Carlos, Madrid, Spain, España, académica, investigaciones, acreditación, docencia, desarrollo, posgrados, maestrías, grado, posgrado, maestría, diplomado, diplomados, humanidades, educación, licenciatura, ciencias, sociales, valores, Europa, Europe, sistemas, filosofía y letras, spanish, español, empresas, administración, systems, facultad, computers, computadores, ordenadores, lingüística, información, ciencias, lengua, castellana, postgrados, ciudad, distrito capital, webmaster, historia, arte, arts, ciencias sociales, literatura, lenguas modernas, educación, software, hardware, carreras, estudiantes, licenciaturas, audiovisuales, biblioteca, virtual, consejo superior, cine, académico, mp3, pdf, ciencia, pics, fotos, amigos, becas, bibliotecas, futuro

It has a lot about Goulston. It includes some Family History - In paragraph 5 Conclusion. It states that both Father and son Goulston used the pseudonym 'Guiseppe Lunardine', on the same day!
                        Hope this helps.
                        JAB

Comment

Working...
                        X