Thomas Hall Census & info help.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thomas Hall Census & info help.

Thomas Hall c1866 Stepney married Julia Elizabeth Bailey.

I have the family on the 1901 & 1911 Census, but dont know where he or the family are in any other Census'.

According to his daughter Elizabeth Hannah b.1894 birth cert, Thomas was a wool merchant's carman. I have lots of info on his wife Julia Elizabeth (a carpet sewer).

Could some one please help me find more info on Thomas Hall b.c1866. Stepney. I believe his religion was Catholic.

Thank you for any help you can give.

Tralena

HI
    is this him
    Class: RG11; Piece: 499; Folio: 59; Page: 49; GSU roll: 1341111.

Laura

Comment

tralena, what are the details of the marriage?

Comment

Thank you for your replies and time.

I cant be to sure if this is the correct family in the 1881 Census. I've been trying to search for the marriage between Thomas Hall and Julia Elizabeth nee Bailey formerly Saunders, in the hope of confirming Thomas Hall's father, but I've not had any success.

Do you know of any other way of finding out if this is the right family

Regards Tralena

Comment

Julia Elizabeth Baileys first husband Henry Charles Saunders died in 1889. Julia Elizabeth and Thomas Hall had their first child (as far as I'm aware) on 28 April 1893 and named her Emma Ann Hall. I've search for a marriage between 1889 and 1895 but didn't come up with anything... could this be because they got married in a Catholic Church?

On the 1911 Census, Julia Elizabeth Hall states she's been married for 28 years.... this would mean their wedding took place in 1883 (before the death of her first husband in 1889). Thomas Hall left the marriage details blank .
          Last edited by Tralena; 08-06-11, 13:06. Reason: more info from 1911 Census

Comment

The husband on the 1911 was not required to give marriage details - only the wife.

Marrying in a Catholic church should still mean a registration in the local marriage register but it has been known for registrations not to make it to the index which was compiled from local returns to GRO.
            It's possible they didn't marry of course but just pretended they were.
            Margaret

Comment

As my Nan Elizabeth Hannah Victory nee Hall had strict Victorian views and was a practising Catholic, I would have thought her parents would have had the same views and would feel it a 'sin' to live together without being married.... but this is only a guess

Would I need to visit the GRO and go through their records or would I be better off trying the local marriage register office even though I dont have any dates or know which area/borough they married in.

Any advice you can give me would be much appreciated.

Tralena

Comment

Do you think it would be worth tracing the family from the 1881 Census Laura the Explorer found to see if there are any clues, cos I think its a strong possibility it is the right one.

Comment

Tralenas

Forget about Victorian morals - they said one thing, did another. It seems very likely they never married - perhaps Thomas was already married?

You cannot visit the GRO and go through their records. All you are allowed to look at is the marriage INDEXES and as they are on line, there's no point.

The local RO will allow you to trawl the marriage records at a price - something like £30 an hour and has to be done in the presence of the Registrar. Some local offices don't allow this even.

OC

Comment

Thank you for your input OC. Seems I've really hit a brick wall. I'm so disappointed, I just dont know where to go from here. Do you have any ideas what I can do. Do you think its worth following up the 1881 census mentioned by Laura the Explorer

Tralena

Comment

Well, I can't access what Laura has found, but if you don't follow it up you'll never know whether it's them or not!

OC

Comment

This is what Laura found:

1881 Census Living at 17 Eastwood Street, Bromley. St.Leonards. Middlesex London

Head: Benj. Hall b.c1827 Bow. Occupation: Dock Lab
                        Wife: Bridget Hall b.c1837 Ireland. Occupation: Matchbox Maker
                        son: James Hall b.c1867 Bethnal Green. Occupation: Match Factory
                        son: Thomas Hall b.c1868. Scholar
                        Dau: Sarah Hall b.c1873. Scholar

I've been trying to follow the marriage between Benj. (Benjamin) Hall and Bridget but I've not come across it. Nor can I find any Baptisms for the siblings, but I do think its a possibility they are the correct family. As I've not found another birth for Thomas Hall b.c 1866/8 Stepney in the 1881 Census. I have access to Ancestry I just don't know where to go from here.

I would be so grateful if someone could help point me in the right direction.

Thank you for any advice you can give

Tralena

Comment

Hi
                          the only other thing I can think of is he has a first name but droped it later in life mine did it all the time very annoying.
                          The othe thing is I found a thomas born in stepeny in the army in the 1981 census will have another look see if I can find it again

Laura

Comment

Hi
                            ok found this 1871 census
                            RG10; Piece: 564; Folio: 122; Page: 34; GSU roll: 823316.
                            Mile end and stepney from what I remerber are next to or where the same area (not sure but something like that)
                            1881 same family
                            Class: RG11; Piece: 466; Folio: 121; Page: 29; GSU roll: 1341102

I cant seem to find the other one at the moment will have another look when I can sorry

Laura

Comment

Sorry I've not back to you before now, I wasn't able to access my laptop. Thank you for finding the info above. I'll pop off and check it out then get back to you asap.

Thank you again for your time and trouble, you have all been so helpful.

Tralena

Comment

Working...
                              X