Family tree maker gedcom help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Family tree maker gedcom help

I wondered if any of you use FTM? i've used it forever but have never used anyone elses gedcom in conjunction with it...

How do i add the details a lady has sent me via gedcom, direct to my tree please? also i have a lot of the same people with the same details that are on the gedcom, will it mean i have duplicate names in my tree?
    Thanks in anticipation

There are two ways of doing it.
    • Import the GEDCOM file into FTM, using a different file name than any other files you already have on your computer. You then merge the new FTM data file with your own file. When you do the merge it will look for duplicate individuals and ask if you want to merge them. It may not pick up on all of them so you may need to go through it again and do some manually. It may pick up on some potential matches which are in fact "non-matches", so may merge people incorrectly. Important: before doing any merging of files make sure you have a backup of your own tree, just in case something goes wrong.

• Import the GEDCOM file into FTM, using a different file name than any other files you already have on your computer. Add new individuals to your own tree manually!

Personally, unless there are only a few common individuals then I would go for option 2. I have seen the results of merged trees which contain many common individuals and it usually ends up messy!

Another thing to think about - before entering any new data into your own tree the information should be verified, which is why I would always recommend the second option. Verify the information and only if it is correct then add to your tree.
    Elaine

Comment

thank you ever so much Elaine.. I'll be very careful.. and i always check and double check everything xx

Comment

Working...
      X