How on earth do i decide which one is him? 1891 census

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How on earth do i decide which one is him? 1891 census

I have CUTHBERT RUTHERFORD born c1874 in Byers Green, County Durham. I am trying to find him on the 1891 census via ancestry but have come across about 3 of the same name and dob.
    i am completly confused and one of the census really is illegible..

I'm trying all options to try to find his parents as when i typed his name into the lds site 2 possibilities appeared..
    i have him in 1901 as a coal miner

Do you know if he married -if so do you have his marriage certificate which would show the name of his father.
    Elaine

Comment

this is another quandry.. i have their marriage off Freebmd so no certificate as yet

Comment

What is the wife's name?
        Elaine

Comment

I can only see 2 born Byers Green in 1891........both are Coalminers...1 is 20 { born c1871} and is already married to Margaret, the other born 1874 is living with parents George and Elizabeth and many siblings.

You must have information to get you back to Cuthebert born c1874.......who are his children....? may be able to find him in 1911 to distinguish the difference between the 2...please give us what info you have.

Nicky
          Last edited by nickyinsunnysussex; 15-05-11, 22:32.

Comment

There are also two in 1881 census, one born 1873, the other 1874

one was registered in 1873 as Cuthbert Rutherford Appleton
            which fits with the one living with Abner and Mary A Rutherford, and three older children surnamed Appleton.
            Abner and Mary Ann Appleton did not marry until 1877.

The other was registered in Jun 1874. He appears with George and Elizabeth in 1881 and 1891.

I think you will definitely need a marriage certificate to get his fathers name.

Di
            Diane
            Sydney Australia
            Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

elaine.. wife is Jane Ann cooper wed june 1894 south shields

Comment

Nicky..i have CUTHBERT on 1901 and 1911 and his children too but as he got married after the 1891 census they wont be with him as they were not born or he wed. All i need is Cuthbert on 1891 as i need his parents and siblings as i asked in my original question x

Comment

thanks Diane.. i saw those on 1881 too but with a years difference thought it could be any of these.. although one of CUTHBERT's sons middle name is APPLETON so could be that family maybe?

Comment

If such an unusual middle name matches it sounds very much as if it's the same family.
                    Margaret

Comment

it is Margaret.. i've had a good look and sorted out some other titbits i had and its most definatly him... thank you everyone for your help xxx

Comment

There is a tree for Cuthbert on Ancestry, showing his wife as Jane and parents as Abner Woodhall Rutherford and Mary Ann Appleton.

It might be worth contacting the tree owner to see what evidence they have to support this.
                        Elaine

Comment

On Ancestry, the 1891 census has Cuthbert Rutherford listed/transcribed as Cuthbert Appleton, and someone has put in a correction/amendment to include Cuthbert Rutherford, as well as the other two already mentioned. I don't have a sub so I cannot tell you more. Someone is obviously working on this family.

Di
                          Diane
                          Sydney Australia

Comment

If you click on the 1891 census that Dicole is referring to you will see the following information
                            Rutherford rather than Appleton.
                            Cuthbert is the son of Mary Appleton (born Mudd, married Appleton, widowed then married Abner Rutherford) and Abner Rutherford. Abner disappears for some reason (not death - he turns up later in the 1911 census!) and Cuthbert remains with his step mother, taking her previous marriage name.
                            A link to the submitter is there so worth contacting.
                            Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
                              If you click on the 1891 census that Dicole is referring to you will see the following information
                              A link to the submitter is there so worth contacting.

I think Cuthbert was born to Mary Appleton and Abner Rutherford before their marriage. He would not have been registered with the Rutherford middle name if there was no connection to Abner, nor the Appleton surname if Mary was his step mother.
                              Diane
                              Sydney Australia

Comment

Working...
                              X