No announcement yet.

need help with Scotland place names

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

These are the 2 properties on the Kilmartin 1841 census that are either side of the two properties in your images. Note the spelling of Aulchnuck instead of Culchnuck. I’ve no idea which is correct but it might help you indentify where the properties once were if you can find the neighbouring ones on an old map.

Piece: SCT1841/521 Place: Kilmartin -Argyllshire Enumeration District: 4
    Civil Parish: Kilmartin Ecclesiastical Parish, Village or Island: -
    Folio: 4 Page: 10
    Address: Tyness Crofts

Folio: 4 Page: 12
    Address: Experiment Farm (9 households at this address)

Folio: 4 Page: 13
    Address: Kilchoun

Folio: 4 Page: 17
    Address: Tyntrath Farm

Folio: 4 Page: 17
    Address: Aulchnuck

Piece: SCT1841/521 Place: Kilmartin -Argyllshire Enumeration District: 5
    Folio: 5 Page: 1
    Address: East Ardfuir

If Donald Fisher is still alive in 1841 but his wife Anne is dead, this is a likely entry for him on the census, still in Kilmartin district.
    Piece: SCT1841/521 Place: Kilmartin -Argyllshire Enumeration District: 5
    Folio: 5 Page: 5
    Address: Brenphort

You can see the full entries on www.freecen.org.uk
    Try the National Library of Scotland website for an excellent source of old maps viewable online. http://maps.nls.uk/

Comment

Thanks Pilgrim.

GallowayLass - thanks, I'll follow up on that map site. Interesting that there is an Experiment Farm in Kilmartin too, that is probably where they were when Donald, James, and Catharine where christened. Donald is still alive in 1841, but he's living in Canada. They emigrated sometime after 1829 when their second last child was born, and before 1836 when their last was born here in Canada.

Sorry to be so slow in replying - computer's all better now, and then I had to deal with Canada Revenue and do some database synchronization. Today is Mother's Day here in Canada, so now am off to my daughter's where they are preparing a celebratory meal. Love having a nice dinner and not having to do any of the cooking!

Thanks again everyone.
      Lynda

Comment

Originally posted by Pilgrim View Post
        Hi Lynda, Culchinuick looks good to me after living in the Highlands for the last 20 years, can't help with Experiment though.
        Hi Pilgrim, I found Experiment Farm and Kilmahumaig on a couple of maps at that map site GallowayLass gave - National Library of Scotland. But could not find Culchinuick - do you have any idea where it might have been?

Comment

rn at Cu
          Originally posted by Lynda View Post
          Hi Pilgrim, I found Experiment Farm and Kilmahumaig on a couple of maps at that map site GallowayLass gave - National Library of Scotland. But could not find Culchinuick - do you have any idea where it might have been?
          I have an earlier document relating to a relative 'Ann McIntyre' who was born at Culchnuick I used to live near it and the closest sounding name was Killinchonoch farm at OS ref 839962 between Kilmichael and Kilmartin.

Comment

Welcome to Family Tree Forum theferg,

If you click on Lynda's user name it will give you the option to send a Private message, but she has not been active recently and if she still has the same active e mail address then she will receive your message, if not then come and join the forum and help with Scottish research

Edna

Comment

I have just been given some information its actually Culcruich and its a farm on the Duntroon Estate my relative was a cottar with 1/8 of the farm

Comment

This is good site for scotty family history the lasses on there are better than out believe me

borobabs passed away March 2018

Comment

Working...
                X