need help with Scotland place names

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need help with Scotland place names

I have downloaded some images from Scotlands People - christening records, and I can not make out the place names. Can anyone help? BTW, these are all in Argyll.

Last edited by Lynda; 27-04-11, 04:47.

Lynda

Do these records not give the name of a church?

OC

Comment

Kilmahumaig must be a possibility for one of them?

Comment

John and Marys look like it finishes with *wick*.....and the others look like they finish with *mont*.........not much help am I?

Comment

The above births are on the IGI....and the place of birth is Kilmartin Argyll Scotland

Comment

epennant? and culchuwick?

Comment

There's an apparently good search on GENUKI here http://www.genuki.org.uk/cgi-bin/gaz but it doesn't find any part of those words at all.

One looks like Experiment - could it be the name of a farm?
              The other looks like Culchinuck - possibly a farm name again??

Anne

Comment

they would be very small settlements i think anne. farms are likely.

Comment

Have looked at a 1:50,000 map of the Kilmartin area and nothing like those names appears at that scale. You might need to ask the local Archive or Library for advice.

Anne

Comment

I'd also go with farm names. It's surprising how long farm names survive in very rural areas. I've located several of my 19th century birthplaces in Northumberland by a combination of Streetmap and local online resources. If any of these people or relatives left a will, the (free) index on SP quite often goes into considerable detail.
                    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                      Lynda

Do these records not give the name of a church?

OC
                      Sorry everyone, the time difference ... just got up.

Anyway, at the top of each page is 'anno domini 1829' eg. The heading generated by the website is basically the same in each case: date and name followed by '[O.P.R. Births 521/00 0020 0074 KILMARTIN]'. The string of numbers varys slightly; 521 is the parish number, i.e., Kilmartin.

This is obviously information I should have included in my first post ... I'm such a dummy.

Comment

Originally posted by highland ranger View Post
                        Kilmahumaig must be a possibility for one of them?
                        I have two others that are Kilmahumaig, and they are in North Knapdale parish.

Comment

Thanks to everyone who took the time to think about this and post a reply.

I had searched quite extensively for place names in Scotland, and found some pretty good sites - maybe even the one mentioned by Anne - but found nothing even approximating the names on the certs.

And Uncle John mentioned wills - a good suggestion, but all of these people emigrated to Canada, so no luck there.

Thanks again.

Lynda

Comment

Perhaps bear in mind that placenames starting KIL are usually an anglicised form of the gaelic CIL and similar. Plenty of room for confusion! Might be worth getting in touch with:

Comment

Originally posted by highland ranger View Post
                              Perhaps bear in mind that placenames starting KIL are usually an anglicised form of the gaelic CIL and similar. Plenty of room for confusion! Might be worth getting in touch with:

http://www.knapdalepeople.com/KnapDataBaseIntro.html
                              Thanks Ranger, I'll give that a try. I also contacted the Kilmartin Museum; the lady there couldn't help, but sent me to the Argyll and Bute Council Archives - they want about 30 pounds for the first 45 minutes, way out of my league.

Tried it and think maybe I found something: I looked at the Parochial Board Records, it is a list of paupers with dates and situations or something; names of places are part of it too, and I found one called Experiment Farm in North Knapdale Parish. So, a question - if a person lived on this farm in NK, is it possible/likely that children would be christened in Kilmartin Parish?

For the other name on my certs, could it possibly be Cuilcruich? also in North Knapdale.
                              Last edited by Lynda; 29-04-11, 02:39.

Comment

Well, its not really that far away, although not the closest church. If they had family connections with Kilmartin they may well have gone there.

Anne

Comment

Just read on another forum that there are gravestones in Kilmartin that indicate people died 'in Experiment'. Also heard about this: "Deserted Settlements of Kilmartin Parish" by Allan Begg, which I will follow up on one day soon. Been busy with income tax, due today, and also watched some of the wedding today but I didn't get up at 3 a.m.! Just watched the recaps later in the morning.

Comment

Originally posted by Anne in Carlisle View Post
                                    Well, its not really that far away, although not the closest church. If they had family connections with Kilmartin they may well have gone there.

Anne
                                    Oops, didn't see your post, Anne ... I don't know whether or not my ggg's had connections in Kilmartin. They got married and their first child was christened in Kilmahumaig, and then the rest of the children were christened in Kilmartin parish. According to the register, they were both living in Kilmahumaig at the time they got married. At least it says 'Donald of Kilmahumaig', so I assume that means he lived there. She was a 'servant to Dugald McLachlan in Kilmahumaig', so really, could have come from elsewhere.

I just made this connection within the last week, and have been busy recording what I could of their life in Canada. This hopefully accounts for my ignorance on the subject!

Lynda

Comment

Just on the off chance that someone posts something and wonders why I don't answer in a reasonable amount of time - my computer is sick, doctor coming Tuesday am, hope to be back online that afternoon.

Lynda

Comment

Hi Lynda, Culchinuick looks good to me after living in the Highlands for the last 20 years, can't help with Experiment though.

Comment

Working...
                                        X