Upgrading to Windows 7 and having problems with FTM 2006

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrading to Windows 7 and having problems with FTM 2006

From the look of it it seems as though I need to upgrade! Any tips please as to which version I should go for (and perhaps where I might find the lowest price!)

Do you have a Windows7 32 bit machine, or 64 bit machine?
    To find out click on the Start button, right click Computer and then click Properties.
    Elaine

Comment

Hello Elaine!
      My machine is running Windows7 32bit

Comment

In that case FTM 2006 will still work but you need to install an update patch.
        Go to the following link
        Family Tree Maker 2005, 2006 & 16 Update for Windows Vista & Windows 7
        and follow the instructions under the heading STEPS FOR RESOLUTION

It's very easy to do - the only difference is that in the 3rd screen shot you can see (Select Installation Folder) you will need to change it to
        C:\Program Files\Family Tree Maker 2006
        You should be able to do this by clicking the Browse button next to that box and selecting the right folder (Family Tree Maker 2006)

After you have installed the patch you must right click on the FTM2006 icon on the desktop and select Run as Administrator - it shows you how to do this in the link I have given you.

If you did want to upgrade then the best bet would be to get Family Tree Maker 2011 but I must warn you the layout is very different to the version you are using, so if you don't like change then stick with what you have got.

Best buy for FTM2011 at the moment seems to be on Amazon for the Platinum edition which comes with a 6 months free subscription to Ancestry Premium package.
        The cost of the Platinum edition is currently £29.99 - but the free 6 month sub for Ancestry is worth £52 - so worth buying just for the Ancestry sub!

Let me know if you need any more help.
        Elaine

Comment

Thanks very much. I have already tried the update, but when testing the export of .pdf fie I ran into trouble. In spite of my resistance to change it seems sensible to go for the new version - especially as I don't have a current Ancestry subscription!

Comment

Problems with exporting pdf files from FTM are often to do with printer problems - sounds daft but true! They are not always easy to resolve!

If you don't have an ancestry sub at the moment then it would seem sensible to go for the package I have given you a link for. When it arrives just install it on to your computer and it should find the previous data files from FTM 2006. If you have any problems them come back and I'll try to help.
            Elaine

Comment

Its ordered! I have been loading software steadily on my new all-in-one with built in everything for the past couple of days. Having updated files for my elderly, but much loved printer and solved minor problems with email and Skype, I'm on a high at the moment.
              Thanks again for the tip about FTM 2011 and Ancestry.

Comment

Its great when it all works well.
                I have been doing a complete reinstall of my laptop .... following a hard disc failure! :(
                Elaine

Comment

I have the same problem as Shirley Silver Surfer from 2011 however my computer is 64 bit. Can you help please

Comment

Working...
                  X