Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Letter signed by A.S.Gunnell - looking to return to family member

Blog Entries
    does it look like the letter of a 66 year old woman ?
    where/who was it sent to?
    Last edited by Mike Fisher; 14-04-11 at 16:04.

I haven't seen it yet Mike, I have only had it read out to me. Hubby saw it though and he says it looked more like a young handwriting and very neat.
    It was sent to a William !! and I assume to the house in Acton where it was found. My friend can't remember the actual address that she found it in but says that it was near Wormwood scrubs. She only lived their very briefly when she was newly married.

I have to go now until this evening. Thank you for all your help, I shall have to ponder if there is anything else I can try.
    Chrissie

Blog Entries
    Here is her entry in the probate index
    Gunnell Anne Sarah effects under £5,000 11Aug 1875
    The will and two codicils of Anne Sarah Gunnell late of 23 Chester St, Kennington Rd, Lambeth in the county of Surrey, spinster who died 22 Jul 1875 at 145 Kennington Rd was proved at the principal registry by Samuel Burgess Gunnell of 8 St Johns Rd, Brixton in the said county Gentleman the nephew Charles Collambell of 15 Lambeth Terrace surgeon and Alfred Whitby Wilkinson of 8 Victoria Rd Clapham Common Gent the executors

Blog Entries
    Also in the London Gazette 24 Aug 1875 asking for any claims on the estate

Blog Entries
    There are 4 trees on Ancestry for Samuel Burgess Gunnell , so the family is about

Oh thank you Mike, that's really helpful. I will see if I can contact the people on Ancestry.
    Hubby is going to collect the letter for me tonight, so that I can see it for myself. Can't wait to see what I think.
    Chrissie

Well, I have now got the letter. I don't believe that it can be the same A S Gunnell. That one is too old. For one thing, this one talks about them both saving hard to get a home together in the future.
    I'm not absolutely convinced (though hubby and friend are) that the signature is A S Gunnell. There is a longer space between the A and the S Gunnell.

I think the only way this could be solved is if I can find a Gunnel living at Latimer House Chiswick in 1861 or 1871. Does anyone know how to look for addresses on those census please?

I'm intrigued myself now. I want to know whether Miss Gunnell ever got to marry her William They are both obviously very much in love.
    Chrissie

Oh lucky you having such a mystery - being from Scotland I don't know the area involved but I wish I could help as it is all so romantic.
    herky
    Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

How about this one in the 1861 census -
    Ann S Gunnell bc 1840, in Brentford Middlesex, census place Ealing??

Good age to be writing love letters - in 1866 she would have been about 26.
    herky
    Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

This is a really interesting mystery! Ann S Gunnell was in Brentford in 1851 and 1861 (Front Street and North Road respectively). Brentford is very near to acton and chiswick. Then in Mar 1867 there is a marriage between
    Ann Sarah Gunnell and William Ham in Kensington Vol1a Page63
    What do you think?? I'd say it's a definite possibility (:
    Darannon