Spitalfields Life - A Room to Let in Old Aldgate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spitalfields Life - A Room to Let in Old Aldgate

Just in case you haven't spotted this link already...

There are some beautiful C19th photos of London, here.

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

What a wonderful website for any family historian with an interest there, it has just about everything and the wonderful pictures too
    I could get lost in there for days just out of interest.

Edna

Comment

thanks for that Christine

Comment

Such a lot going on there, thankyou for spotting it!

Comment

Lovely photos. So sad to see St. Giles Cripplegate looking majestic there, where nowadays its completely invisible unless you go into the Barbican and its dwarfed by the surrounding flats.
          ~ with love from Little Nell~
          Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Thanks for that...fascinating....in my favourites now

Linda

Comment

Thanks for pointing this out. I've just had another 'walk around' Bunhill Fields where my 4 x great grandfather Rev Thomas Harper was buried in 1832. No head stone evident but I have the co -ordinates of his grave position so was able on a physical visit to stand near his grave with the help of Tom who has drawn a handmade plan of the cemetery.
              Margaret

Comment

Thanks a lot, Christine. Don't think my East Enders (or not the ones I've found so far) come under Spitalfields, but I still find the site fascinating

Comment

Nice site Christine..this is of Petticoat Lane in 1903, no sound, but great footage

Comment

Photos and the videos were brilliant on the youtube not only the Petticoat Lane but the suffragettes were on there and a few other historical events well worth watching

Christine

Comment

I have posted it on my BBC Family Trees board and made some people really happy and they are finding it a really worthwhile site too

Thanks again

Edna

Comment

Sometime I must tell our USA friends just how thrilled everyone here is to have found the link they sent me!

Christine
                        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I do love this site, thanks for the link
                          Sue x

Looking for Hanmores in Kent, Blakers in Essex and Kent, Pickards in East London and Raisons in Somerset.

Comment

Great photographs... what an insight on how London used to look. Thanks for the link!
                            Jenny

Comment

New members may be interested in looking for this sort of thing in our Reference Library where this link and others can be found.

If you come across others which we haven't already got, they can be added to the Comments Boxes at the foot of each page and one of the team will add it for you.
                              Caroline
                              Caroline's Family History Pages
                              Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Working...
                              X