• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You're welcome Vic.

sunny

Comment

Hi Rosy,

I've been thinking more about John Rendle/Rennell. I agree it seems a reasonable assumption that he may have been born, and married, in another parish. Also, the fact that there was no John nor Sarah amongst his children baptised in Manaton suggests the possibility that he started his family elsewhere.

IGI has a John Rendle/Sarah Bennett marriage in Lustleigh on 8 Sep 1761, and baptism of daughters Sarah(1765) and Elizabeth(1767). Both location and time frame fits quite neatly into my hypothesis. I know my John later moved from Manaton to Widecombe, and William subsequently lived in Dean Prior and Stokenham so the family has a history of re-location.

Is it possible that you could check the Lustleigh register for any more children of this couple? If none overlap the baptism of William in Manaton in Oct 1773, perhaps you could look to see if there are any matching deaths for the children in Manaton after this date.

I realise that this is all highly speculative and whatever you discover is unlikely to be totally conclusive, so I do not expect you to give a very high priority. Also, if for any reason it is not convenient to take on this request, please let me know.

Vic
      Last edited by brentor boy; 07-04-11, 19:23.

Comment

Hi Vic Will look at Lustleigh,Staverton and Chudleigh as there seems to be a lot of Rennells and other spellings in those areas. I will see what I can find.

sunny

Comment

Vic I have been to the RO today and have pm'd you the details.

sunny

Comment

Been to the RO again today have Pm'd you.

rosy

Comment

Dear Rosy,
              I have just noticed your offer of look-ups in Exeter, and if u can fit mine in at some time it would be appreciated.

Recently I have run details thru the Forum but the person I am looking for continues to "hide".

Looking for the baptism/birth of H/Anne/Anna Harris, born about 1822 in Plymouth. Her father was Edward Harris a sailor.

Of course any other information relating to her that might show up would be great. Hannah eventually settled in London but I do not
              know when she left. The first official record I have is the 1851 Census for Mile End where her birthplace is given as Stepney but that
              is incorrect. I cannot find her on the 1841 census.

Many thanks,
              dreeny22

Comment

Hi Dreeny I will be going to the Records office on Monday, will see what I can find.

sunny rosy

Comment

Can you give me more details Dreeny, I've looked on the 1851, not under Harris , was she married by then ,if so what was her surname please? I need to familiarize myself with a census record before I set about looking for her. Did you find her father Edward , on the 1841 census? What was her mother's name please?

sunny rosy

Comment

Hi Rosy.

I have not been able to attribute any entry in 1841 to Edward Harris and family either in London or Devon, the Harris name is a sticking point. I do not know when they or,
                    perhaps, just Hannah came into London and the first thing is the 1851 census for Stepney when she had become Hannah UNDERWOOD although she did not marry Joseph Underwood
                    until 1854. I believe Joseph or the Enumerator "dittoed" the birthplace for the whole family as Stepney/Mile End. On the 1861 and 1871, when Joseph had died and Hannah was "Head"
                    she states Plymouth,Devon and, of course, her father was a sailor. I do not know the name of her mother which would, of course, make identifying the family a lot easier.

One other possible clue is on the Marriage Certificate of my GGGrandparents Mary Ann Gage & John Ames in 1838. One of the witnesses to their marriage was a James Harris who might
                    be a relative of Hannah,s. Later one of Mary Ann's daughters(my gt.grandmother) married Hannah's eldest son Joseph.

Thanks Rosy.

dreeny22

Comment

Have been to the RO today, Dreeny I have p'md you.

sunny

Comment

Rosy -
                        Thanks for the records look up and your willingness to do them!
                        Sarah

Comment

You're welcome. I managed to find a marriage cert for someone else too. I was elated .

rosy

Comment

Rosy -
                            Are you up to looking for a marriage (or two) and a few more baptisms?
                            Sarah

Comment

Hi Sarah.

Let me have the details and I will put them on my list.

sunny rosy

Comment

Rosy - you are the best. I'll assemble details and send a PM
                                Thanks
                                Sarah

Comment

Hi Rosy, any chance you could do another look-up for me, please?

I am trying to identify a Charlotte Burford, wife of William, who in each census 1841-71 is recorded as born circa 1811, variously at Clist/Bishops Clist/St Marys Clist.
                                  IGI has a marriage between William Burford/Charlotte Loveridge at St George, Exeter, 28 July 1834, which I think could refer.

Could you check Clyst St Mary baptisms for a Charlotte Loveridge, b c 1811, please.

Comment

Am going out there now,will see what I can find.BB

sunny rosy

Comment

Brentor boy.

Charlotte Loveridge baptised 2/6/1805 married William Burford 28/7/1834 Clyst St Mary,Devon.
                                      Her parents were John Loveridge and his wife Letitia, I was unable to find a marriage for them as the records don't exist before 1837 for that, courtesy of Hitler. They had Charlotte 1805, Harriet born 21/9/1811 baptised 13/10/1811, Eliza baptised 26/1/1816, Anne baptised 23/9/1818 and Sarah baptised 6/1/1820

sunny rosy

Comment

Hi Rosy,

Many, many thanks. That is exactly what I hoped the record would show. IGI has John Loveridge marrying Laetitia (sic) Goldsworthy 1 Feb 1803, Sowton. A son, Charles, was baptised Sowton 11 Sep 1803. Strange that Charlotte's year of birth should be shown as 1811 on census returns but I am satisfied that this is the right family as I have a will dated 1834 which refers to Letitia (then Raymond - John Loveridge died 1825) and her daughter Charlotte Burford. I have yet to find record of Letitia's second (third?) marriage to Richard Raymond.

Vic

Comment

Will have another look next week Vic, at Sowton parish church records and see if I can find their marriage , Charles' birth and Letitia's subsequent marriage/s.

rosy

Comment

Working...
                                          X