Peter Pettitt possible emigration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peter Pettitt possible emigration

Hi just looking to see if anyone can help with a real long shot.

I came across a note which said that the brother of my great great grandmother Clara Ward - maiden name Pettitt.

All I know is his name is Peter Pettitt and was believed to have emigrated to Canada.

Can anyone help with any information or is that asking too much?

Steven

Do you have an approximate year of birth for him?
    Elaine

Comment

Incidentally I have Peter listed on the 1871 census aged 3 in Tower Hamlets wih his father Jonathon age 29 (labourer), mother Sarah age 29, brother Frederick age 9, brother William age 5 and sister Clara (my great great grandmother) age 1 - all the children are born in Stepney.

No sign of him in 1881 which is strange as he would only be 13

Can anyone help

Steven

Comment

Sorry Elaine I posted same time as you - can only go by census place approx birth as 1867/1868 - his sisters birth is September 1869

Steven

Comment

There is a Peter Pettitt born c1870 England - shown on the 1891 census for Canada.
          Occupation labourer
          Listed as a lodger - with John & Mary Orton and family.
          District - Compton, Eaton, Quebec.

Cannot see anything in passenger lists at the moment.
          Elaine

Comment

Is this the Peter Pettit that was 'guardian' to the children in the home ?

Comment

Thanks Elaine will wait to hear from you

Nina - on the letter from the Childrens Society I received they mentioned a Peter Pettitt as a possible guardian to help with the upkeep of my great grandmother Isabel Ward but no one knew where he was - it was presumed he was in Canada. No sign in 1881 of him

Steven

Comment

Canadian Passenger Lists, 1865-1935

Peter Petitt born c1870
                Port of Departure - Liverpool, England; Londonderry, Ireland
                Date of Arrival - 18 Jun 1887
                Vessel - Sarmatian
                Port of Arrival - Quebec, Quebec

There is something written across the page of the passenger list which I can't decipher - Red Hill ?????

Elaine

Comment

Blimey ! Elaine's done it again

One day Elaine, I'll be asking you to link Freke Dorothy Fluck Lane - yes, that is her proper name - to my family.

Comment

Fantastic Elaine thank you so much - it appears the Childrens Society were right again. I wonder what he did in Canada

Regards

Steven

Comment

The 1901 and 1911 Canadian census are available on Ancestry but I cannot see him listed.
                      Elaine

Comment

Thanks for looking Elaine.

Can I ask another favour re the Pettitt's?

I know Clara's father Jonathan Pettit married a Sarah Poole on 21/10/1860 in Stepney (I don't have the certificate but an image via the LMA) but don't know his birth. I checked on freebmd but no luck can anyone help? I know his father was also a Jonathan Pettitt and I know he died in a workhouse on 19th July 1886 in Mile End. I know he is 20 in the 1861 census and place of birth is always given as Stepney. I think I may have got my book wrong and put wife of younger Jonathan as Sarah Ann Goodens instead of Sarah Poole and I am wondering if Jonathan's mother was Sarah Ann Goodens. Hope I haven't confused anyone.

Just exploring another Branch and wanted mainly to confirm that Peter had emigrated. I wonder if he isn't on the censuses in Canada that perhaps he returned?

Steven

Comment

I also have a problem that the name has various spellings - Pettitt, Pettit, Petitt and Pettite.

I did find a birth on freebmd on June 1841 page 427 volume 2 spelt Pettit - an option? Not sure if I need it if records are available on LMA via Ancestry and mother is Sarah Ann Goodens (unfortunately I know longer have access via Ancestry)

Steven
                          Last edited by stevie2006; 06-02-11, 00:01.

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
                            Canadian Passenger Lists, 1865-1935

Peter Petitt born c1870
                            Port of Departure - Liverpool, England; Londonderry, Ireland
                            Date of Arrival - 18 Jun 1887
                            Vessel - Sarmatian
                            Port of Arrival - Quebec, Quebec

There is something written across the page of the passenger list which I can't decipher - Red Hill ?????

Can't read it either, however,
                            Red Hill, Hamilton, Ontario was, and still is. in an agricultural area, so that fits with Peters occ.

Nina

Comment

"Red Hill to Melbourne" ????

Vivian

Comment

Originally posted by stevie2006 View Post
                                Thanks for looking Elaine.

Can I ask another favour re the Pettitt's?

I know Clara's father Jonathan Pettit married a Sarah Poole on 21/10/1860 in Stepney (I don't have the certificate but an image via the LMA) but don't know his birth. I checked on freebmd but no luck can anyone help? I know his father was also a Jonathan Pettitt and I know he died in a workhouse on 19th July 1886 in Mile End.

Just exploring another Branch and wanted mainly to confirm that Peter had emigrated. I wonder if he isn't on the censuses in Canada that perhaps he returned?

Steven
                                A Jonathan PETTIT was bapt 26.7.1846 at St. Dunstans Church. Stepney. parents Jonathan, a carpenter and Sarah. No date of birth and address as MEOT.

There is a birth - Jonathan PETTIT
                                APR/MAY/JUN
                                Vol 2 Page 427
                                Stepney. London

Can't swear that this is the one, but on a page with 40 + male birth Pettits (and variations of), all are unamed except for one in Stepney- 1841 and the other in Hoxne - 1838

Jonathan Snr is shown as a Carpenter on baptism and marriage details of Jonathan Jnr.

A birth in 1841 would make Jonathan abt 19/20 at the time of his marriage, which is why he would have needed parental consent.

On a gloomier side he could have been 14 when he married! ... in which case all this is...... a load of irrelevant information !
                                Last edited by Inahaystack; 06-02-11, 08:02.

Comment

Sorry....I just grabbed this because I used to know some Pettitts.....lol

There is a Peter Pettitt listed on the 1903 electoral roll for Melbourne as a railway employee.....he's with Mary, not sure if wife or not.

Dinner is calling me and will burn if I stay here.. I'll come back soon....

Comment

Libby - the Peter Pettit we are seeking went to Red Hill, Ontaria, CANADA. What a great link if he did end up in Australia !

Comment

Nina according to the marriage of Jonathan on the LMA his father is listed also as Jonathan - occupation carpenter so that fits

Libby & Vivian thanks for your help - its looks a bit exciting this one - especially if he then did go to Australia. Elaine couldn't find him on the Canadian censuses so that might explain it.

Very interesting and thanks to everyone's help - what should I do next do you think? Nina is it worth ordering the birth or the fact I must have found out sometime that mother was perhaps Sarah Goodens (I cannot remember how!!!!!!) or wait and see if anyone can find him moving to Australia

Thank you so much

Steven

Comment

Originally posted by Inahaystack View Post
                                        Libby - the Peter Pettit we are seeking went to Red Hill, Ontaria, CANADA. What a great link if he did end up in Australia !
                                        ... if indeed the Red Hill referred to on the passenger list is the one in Ontaria.
                                        If the 1891 census is the right one then he ended up in Compton, Eaton, Quebec.
                                        Elaine

Comment

Working...
                                        X