No announcement yet.

Peter Pettitt possible emigration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't know much about Canadian research, but I imagine that his marriage certificate would be worth getting (presumably he married between 1891 and 1901). Hopefully that would eliminate him or leave him as a definite possibility, or even a definite.

scuda
    Pitman / Pittman in North Glos (Didbrook, Prestbury, Longhope, Tewkesbury, Stow, Cirencester, etc), London & Australia

Comment

1901 census for Canada

Peter Pilitte born 1873 England
      Immigration Year: 1893 ??? doesn't match with passenger list found earlier
      Race - English
      Nationality - Canadian
      Religion - C of E
      Occ. Laborer
      Living in Compton, Quebec (subdistrict Bury)
      Also in the household is Jennie Pilitte born c1871 Quebec.

Image is blurred but could be Petitte
      Elaine

Comment

Elaine my first attempt and all from scratch and very tasty !!!!

So what do you think I should do next - information overload!!!!! How do I prove he is my Peter Pettitt. I had a look at the Canadian Papers and they look great - I have a Scottish Ancestor who also served with the Canadian Army. Those records give birth date as 1872 but Nina's birth is 1868

Regards

Steven

Comment

So...... it looks as though he might have been found ? Do you know if there are any army papers floating in the ether ?
          This link http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/d...58u5dbrj8kdj56 gives you the two sides of the attestation paper. That's free, I think other service papers are available (at a cost, and not online).

The attestation papers give NOK as Charles C Petitt, Crassbury, Quebec, so we need to work out who he is.

scuda
          Pitman / Pittman in North Glos (Didbrook, Prestbury, Longhope, Tewkesbury, Stow, Cirencester, etc), London & Australia

Comment

It looks as though Peter was a "British Home Child"

If you then click on the Group of children travelling together bit it gives the name of the other two - Arthur Wakelin and Henry Atkins, which tallies with what Elaine found. I think you said that his father died in 1886 so being sent abroad in 1887 would make sense
            Jackie

Comment

Those records give birth date as 1872 but Nina's birth is 1868
              The birthdate Nina gave from the cemetery record is likely to be correct, and is about right for the man you're looking for. The miltary records are for the same man (same regimental number), but as Nina suggested earlier, he probably needed to take a few years off his age to be accepted for military service.

scuda

Comment

Thanks Scuda I ordered papers from Canada before for my Scottish ancestor - they were very in depth and not too expensive although I would need to make sure it's him first.

That does to seem to make sense Jackie thanks

Elaine do you think that the passenger list is right? If so does that mean he went to Canada then back to England and then back to Canada to serve in WW1?

Steven

Comment

Originally posted by scuda View Post
                  This link http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/d...58u5dbrj8kdj56 gives you the two sides of the attestation paper. That's free, I think other service papers are available (at a cost, and not online).

The attestation papers give NOK as Charles C Petitt, Crassbury, Quebec, so we need to work out who he is.

scuda
                  Charles C PETTIT b.19 Mar 1902 d.3 Mar 1989 buried in same cemetery. Maybe Peters son ?

Also Peters attestation paper states residence as Cross Bury and he attested at Bury 24 Jan 1916

Nina

Comment

AHEM !!!........ I may be averse to admitting my true age and tend to lop a few of ...but.....?

Those records give birth date as 1872 but Nina's birth is 1868 :( :(

Comment

Elaine do you think that the passenger list is right? If so does that mean he went to Canada then back to England and then back to Canada to serve in WW1?
                      I don't think he went back to England. If you're referring to the date of immigration from the 1901 census, I would say that was just a guess (probably his wife gave the info, and she didn't know). I've certainly seen immigration dates varying wildly from census to census for people I've researched in USA.

scuda

Comment

Oops Nina no offence intended that would surely make you FTF oldest member!!!!!!!!

Thanks again

Steven

Comment

Thanks Scuda. Not sure what I should do next - any suggestions. Just want to make sure he is mine and get as much information as I can

Steven

Comment

Note he didn't change the month and day (March 8th in both cases), even though the year is different. I would now be looking for his marriage certificate, presumably somewhere in Quebec.

scuda
                            Last edited by scuda; 06-02-11, 15:01.

Comment

I don't think he went back to England. If you're referring to the date of immigration from the 1901 census, I would say that was just a guess (probably his wife gave the info, and she didn't know). I've certainly seen immigration dates varying wildly from census to census for people I've researched in USA.

scuda
                              On the 1901 census it gives his nationality as Canadian. I wonder if the date refers to nationalisation, rather than immigration.
                              Elaine

Comment

That makes sense

Steven

Comment

Of course, his birth certificate would be handy, too!

scuda

Comment

Can't read it either, however,
                                    Red Hill, Hamilton, Ontario was, and still is. in an agricultural area, so that fits with Peters occ.

I kind of boobed on this one, I read it as having arrived at Quebec, they would travel on down the river to Red Hill and then on to ?????????

But of course it all makes sense now , he was from Red Hill school in Surrey .

Comment

On his attestation paper he says he previously served in the 7th Hussars. Can we follow that up somehow?

scuda

Comment

Of course, his birth certificate would be handy, too!

scuda
                                        probably this one
                                        Births Jun 1868
                                        PETTIT Peter John
                                        Mile End volume 1c page 554

(he is shown on the 1871 census as age 3)
                                        Elaine

Comment

probably this one
                                          Births Jun 1868
                                          PETTIT Peter John
                                          Mile End volume 1c page 554

(he is shown on the 1871 census as age 3)
                                          I think I've found Peter John in 1881, with parents Peter & Mary. His birthplace is given as Southwark.

scuda

Comment

Working...
                                          X