No announcement yet.

Peter Pettitt possible emigration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I know Elaine I am delighted with what I have found out about Peter and hopefully the WW1 service record will be the icing on the cake.

I really have to again thank the forum members for all their help and support and especially the advice about branching out into other parts of your family eg brothers, cousins of your direct line and I have come across some real gems on ancestors who whilst are not direct links are ancestors all the same.

Every line I have come across a great story or something really interesting. Not sure where to go next but hopefully I will find someone!!!!!!!

Steven

Comment

• Hi Steven,

Looking forward to seeing what the WW1 records will reveal The records from the home are interesting especially as 1907 is given as a last contact date - only nine years unaccounted for now ( up to 1916 when he attested).

It's been an interesting couple of months - for me, the highlight was finding his death - it opened up a whole new world !

I'm sure everyone has enjoyed the experience and along the way has picked up some useful tips.

Need somewhere to go ? - try going back further - a lot slower, very frustrating at times but so rewarding.

If you need us just holler !

Best of luck Steven, it has been a pleasure 'working' with you.

Nina.

Comment

• I honestly can't thank the members who helped me enough Nina it's been a really good branch to investigate.

Re looking back further I don't know where to begin eg I have the last known Smith getting married in 1845 but from what I understand you need to visit parish records in libraries etc and living in Scotland it's not practical. My Scottish side I am back to 1692 on one side and really looking forward to my trip to Skye for another branch.

When I first set out on the family history search I only planned to do the Scottish side as I thought the English side would be too hard and I wouldn't be interested but then I found Family Tree Forum!!!!!! I honestly would never would have thought I could have found so much and so many interesting stories - Charles Ward dying in a vat of beer the best of them all.

Thanks again and will keep you posted on the war record and hopefully I can help keep you and others members busy soon!!!!!!

Steven

Comment

• It's so interesting to read what happenned to peter, and how great to find so much unexpected information. For myself, it is another piece to put in the poole family info, so thankyou. I think I told you before that George (my g.ggrandad) seems to have stayed close to his sister sarah - well there is further confirmation of this with the given address of 84 lower maplin street mile end - george and wife jane were at number 80 - in fact in 1894 that is where my grandad was born, in his grandparents house (:
          Not for the first time, I'm wishing my grandparents were still around so I could ask about all these people (:
          best wishes
          Darannon

Comment

• Originally posted by stevie2006 View Post

Re looking back further I don't know where to begin eg I have the last known Smith getting married in 1845 but from what I understand you need to visit parish records in libraries etc and living in Scotland it's not practical. My Scottish side I am back to 1692 on one side and really looking forward to my trip to Skye for another branch.

Steven

Steven, do you have a LDS Family History Centre near you ? They have most Parish records on film - you can order these to view a copy of the original records.... You could order the appropriate film for the area where your Smith ancestors hung out and check the parish records that way.

Nina

Comment

• HI Darrannon glad I could help

Nina - there is supposed to be one in Alloa, Scotland but tried loads of times but no answer to phones - maybe time to try again

Thanks and will let you know when I get the WW1 records

Steven

Comment

• Steven, I've been away for a few weeks and have only just caught up with your progress. Great to see confirmation of our thoughts, plus the extra information. Looking forward to the next instalment - perhaps the WW1 records might throw up a few more gems.

scuda
                Pitman / Pittman in North Glos (Didbrook, Prestbury, Longhope, Tewkesbury, Stow, Cirencester, etc), London & Australia

Comment

• Thanks Scuda it's been a good branch to follow and cannot thank everyone enough who helped

Steven

Comment

• Originally posted by stevie2006 View Post
                    HI Darrannon glad I could help

Nina - there is supposed to be one in Alloa, Scotland but tried loads of times but no answer to phones - maybe time to try again

Steven
                    Very restrictive hours Steven :(

Alloa Scotland
                    Grange Road
                    Westend Park
                    Alloa, Clackmannanshire, Scotland
                    Phone: 44 (0) 125-921 1148
                    Hours: M 10am-12pm; Tu 6.30pm-8.30pm. Other times by arrangment.
                    Attention: Contact Mandy Watson on 01259 211986 for an appointment

Comment

• Thanks Nina will have another shot at it

Steven

Comment

• WW1 records arrived from Canada today and unfortunately or fortunately depending on how you look at it he didn't serve in France and was signed off as medically incapable of seeing action. Some of the comments point to the fact that he looks older than the age he claims he is and that backs up what we thought that he changed his year of birth to sign up.

Upon arriving in England he got German measles, bronchitis and urine infections by the bucket load and eventually was signed off on medical grounds and sent back to Canada. Bit disappointing but at the same time his only child Charles had lost his mother at only a few months old and didn't lose his father in the war.

I do know that he returned home on 9th April 1917 and sailed from Liverpool on a troop ship. I also found out that whilst he was away from 1914 to 1917 that his son Charles was looked after by a Mrs Adam Ross (her husbands name I think) in Crossbury Quebec - don't know who she was but either a family friend or relative although I cannot prove that. That would seem to be the final piece of the jigsaw for Peter and I know from many of your help that Charles married although don't know if he had a family but a huge thanks from me

Steven

Comment

• Steven,

Did you ever get sight of the parish marriage entry for Peter and Eliza ?

They were married 7th June 1900.

No parents named but it does have his occ. his, Eliza's and witness sigs.

Nina
                          Last edited by Inahaystack; 22-04-11, 23:29.

Comment

• Yes Nina Elaine got me a copy of their marriage on 7th June 1900. Their son Charles was born on 19th March 1902 and Eliza (Peter's wife) died on 11th May 1902 - I can only assume maybe some complications after the birth (again also Elaine)

Elaine also managed to find the marriage of Charles to a Florence Elenor Webb on 25th August 1928 but I haven't found any record if they had children

Steven

Comment

• Yes Steven, I remember how difficult it was trying to find a burial for Peter's wife, and when, after looking through all the thousands of cemetery entries you get that 'lightbulb moment' and realise that deceased wives were buried under their maiden name !

It's great that most the loose ends have been tidied.

As with Elaine, I've not yet come across any children for Charles and Florence :(

Steven.

Comment

• Thanks again Nina for looking and for all your help with Peter its been fantastic and I can't thank you and the others enough

Steven

Comment

Working...
                                X