No announcement yet.

Peter Pettitt possible emigration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have you found all of Peter's siblings????

Going from Canada or USA to Australia was not that uncommon. There are quite afew Pettitts here on the early electoral rolls. Do you know anything about Peter's uncles???? They may have come here.

Just clutching at straws really....but if you do get an Aussie connection, at least our certs are fairly informative....

Comment

Elaine I misread your post last night and didn't realise you had found Peter in 1891 (in Canada) - I thought it was the UK!!! Sorry

Libby - my Pettitt's were very poor by the looks of it and his father died in the workhouse. As far as I know he is the only one to have travelled. From an earlier census I know he had brothers named Frederick and William but never looked them up. Also on the letter from the Childrens Society an Edward Pettitt is named but again know nothing about him.

To me it looks only as though Peter emigrated.

Is there anyway of proving he did move from Canada to Australia?

Steven

Comment

Can't see any obvious ones....There are Pettitts already here before your fellow would arrive so they may or may not be related.

Please remember that just because they were poor in England, doesn't mean they stayed that way. There were many who came here (and to America) as poor labourers or convicts and made good very quickly.

Comment

Libby as there any census records for Australia to see if he did in fact live there?

Steven

Comment

Originally posted by stevie2006 View Post
            Elaine I misread your post last night and didn't realise you had found Peter in 1891 (in Canada) - I thought it was the UK!!! Sorry

Libby - my Pettitt's were very poor by the looks of it and his father died in the workhouse.

Steven
            Steven, Jonathan died in the Infirmary, which was probably attached to the workhouse and used by anyone who needed 'hospitalizing'......... several of my relatives died in workhouse infirmaries even though they lived elsewhere. This link has some pics of Romford Union Workhouse -

and here is lots more info you may find interesting -

there are two "main" workhouse sites on the web:

1) the Rossbret Site: http://www.institutions.org.uk/
            more specificly: http://www.institutions.org.uk/workhouses/index.html

click on england, essex, romford for more (incl. link to photos)

2) Peter Higginbotham's Workhouse site: http://users.ox.ac.uk/~peter/workhouse/
            also at www.workhouses.org with maps and pictures.

neither have census lists for Romford (some workhouses do !) but these will give you plenty of background info.

Nina

or was it Stepney workhouse........ Doh...........my mind is back with the Woods !!!
            Last edited by Inahaystack; 06-02-11, 11:28.

Comment

Thanks Nina - I have Jonathan senior in the 1881 census in a workhouse and seperated from his family age 41 and then a note og his death on 19th July 1886 age 45 with cause of death as acute pneumonia. The informary was the Infirmary of the Hamlet of Mile End Old Town.

Some great stuff to look through

Steven

Comment

******** My oh My !! Lookee what I have just found Could this be him DOB sort of matches _

PETTIT. Peter J. b 8 Mar 1868 - d 11 Jan 1947 ....Private 117 Btn WW1 # 748528

edit; in my excitment forgot this - Burial - Bury Cemetery
                Bury
                Compton County
                Quebec
                Last edited by Inahaystack; 06-02-11, 12:26.

Comment

Oh well done - that fits in nicely with the 1891 census.
                  Elaine

Comment

Darn it! this Peter served in the Eastern Townships Overseas Battalion. It gives his birthplace as Bury, Compton. ....of course, he could have told lies : )

Nina

Am on the search for his army records - anyone got access to Canadian records ? ......how I hate having to prove it might not be who we want.:(
                    Last edited by Inahaystack; 06-02-11, 12:56.

Comment

PETTIT. Peter J. b 8 Mar 1868 - d 11 Jan 1947 ....Private 117 Btn WW1 # 748528
                      His attestation papers are online. He was born in London, so very promising.

scuda
                      Pitman / Pittman in North Glos (Didbrook, Prestbury, Longhope, Tewkesbury, Stow, Cirencester, etc), London & Australia

Comment

Nina, Not sure where you found that (his birthplace, I mean), I put the army number you gave in here: http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/d...2-100.01-e.php

scuda
                        Last edited by scuda; 06-02-11, 13:07.
                        Pitman / Pittman in North Glos (Didbrook, Prestbury, Longhope, Tewkesbury, Stow, Cirencester, etc), London & Australia

Comment

Here -
                          Cemetery records of Bury Cemetery in Bury, Compton County, Quebec, Canada, Surnames L-Z, compiled by Compton County Genealogical Volunteers.

and here-

Nina

Comment

In 1901, Peter Petitte (28) and wife Jennie (24) are in Compton. http://automatedgenealogy.com/census...+Peter+Petitte

scuda

Comment

I see what you mean, Nina, on the 117th Battalion site it does say born Bury, but on the actual attestation paper on my link it is clearly written as London.

scuda

Comment

Scuda...... Was he just being vain or did he really look 4 years younger

Maybe at 48, he may have been considered a tad too old for overses service.

Comment

Originally posted by scuda View Post
                                  In 1901, Peter Petitte (28) and wife Jennie (24) are in Compton. http://automatedgenealogy.com/census...+Peter+Petitte
                                  scuda
                                  Not surprising I couldn't find him on Ancestry in 1901 - has been transcribed as Peter Pilitte
                                  Elaine

Comment

So...... it looks as though he might have been found ? Do you know if there are any army papers floating in the ether ?

Nina

Comment

Sorry folks I was making Empire Biscuits with my 4 year old!!!!!

You have got me so excited - do you think its him. I will try and access the army records via the links - unfortunately I no longer have my Ancestry membership

Thank you all so much

Steven

Comment

Originally posted by stevie2006 View Post
                                        Sorry folks I was making Empire Biscuits with my 4 year old!!!!!
                                        I hope you are sharing! :D
                                        Elaine

Comment

Elaine, I haven't looked yet, is he there ? Blimey, a proper little pond-hopper )

Nina

Comment

Working...
                                          X