Pilgrimage to Canada?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pilgrimage to Canada?

I just found George Morrison Storrar, with his daughter, on a pilgrimage to Quebec as part of a large group. I know he was a Presbyterian minister.
    Does anyone know where they may have been visiting?

Will be offline this evening, but will check in later.
    Last edited by Trina; 05-02-11, 18:08.

they all say toronto.

Have you looked for Free Church events going on in Toronto at that time?
    Karen

Comment

Can you acces The Tmes online from home through your local library - there are some articles about the pilgrimage - eg - 5/4/1929 and 1/6/1929 - from a quick search

Briefly - the DORIC was chartered to take a party of 1200 organised by the Colonial Missionary Society to Canada at the invitation of the United Church of Canada - the visit was to be for 9 days - with return to England planned for 25th June. The itinerary included visits to Quebec, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Hamilton and Niagara Falls

On the 12th June a banquet was planned in Ottawa where the Canadian Government, the City of Ottawa and the United Church would officially welcome the group.

The purpose of the visit was to examine the results of the union of Congregationalists, Presbyterians and Methodists into the United Church of Canada - which had taken place 4 years earlier

Hope this helps a bit

Cheers
      Sue

Comment

Thanks Karen - I missed the Toronto reference. I think "pilgrimage" was a bit misleading. Now think it was a convention.

Just got your post Sue that's really interesting - sounds an exhausting trip!
        Last edited by Trina; 05-02-11, 22:10.

Comment

Later reports suggested the group totalled 1055 rather than the intended 1200 - interestingly the inbound Canadian records list George's daughter as a Housekeeper - while both the outgoing and incoming British records show her as a Masseur

Cheers
          Sue

Comment

It was consistently recorded at the time as a "pilgrimage" and a "good will pilgrimage" - but obviously it was different to eg Catholic pilgrimages to religious shrines

Maybe today, study tour, conference or convention would more aptly describe it I guess

Cheers
            Sue

Comment

Other newspaper archives online are well worth seeking out - eg Pro Quest and Trove - a quick look suggests the group were accommodated in private homes - and on the ship - all paid the same return fare 36 guineas - "with no distinctions on board, so that this will be an example in democracy quite in the Puritan tradition"

There is a souvenir of the pilgrimage for sale at the moment on Ebay - bit pricey though you could make an offer - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Maritime-S-S-D...item2ea9b91c80

Cheers
              Sue

Comment

Many thanks for all the information Sue. I've never heard of Pro Quest and Trove - will take a look

Comment

Doric pilgrimage

While sifting through a plethora of old photographs, I have found an enormous, 3ft long (0.915cms) photograph of all attendees, outside a large civic building in Ottowa dated June 1929. If you want it you are welcome to have it. Then you can count them all up to see if the total is 1055 as you say!!
                  Roderic

Comment

Originally posted by Roderic View Post
                    While sifting through a plethora of old photographs, I have found an enormous, 3ft long (0.915cms) photograph of all attendees, outside a large civic building in Ottowa dated June 1929. If you want it you are welcome to have it. Then you can count them all up to see if the total is 1055 as you say!!
                    Roderic
                    Provided there wasn't some smart alec who legged it from one end to the other and appeared twice (a well-known feature of school photos).
                    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

That is an incredibly generous offer. Would it be possible to scan it?

Comment

Working...
                      X