Nazareth House, Middlesbrough

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nazareth House, Middlesbrough

I was resident in Nazareth House, Middlesbrough between 1936-1944. A Catholic run orphanage. I would be interested in hearing from anyone that was resident during that time.

hi, i've just found out that my nanna was a resident of that house. Mavis Tubridy. Would you perhaps know her?
    Lennon. Phillips. Thomas. Peacock. Tubridy. Burton.

I am the girl from that town & I'm darn proud of it.

Comment

Welcome to the forum lennon.
      Mary hasn't logged on for some time so may not see your message. Might be best to send her a private message - providing the email address we have for her is still current she will receive an email indicating that you have contacted her.
      To send a message click on her name to the left of the first post in this thread and you will see the "private message" option.
      Elaine

Comment

Thank you Elaine. I'm loving the forum as I've been trying to trace my history for some time now, I just can't afford it hehe..
        Lennon. Phillips. Thomas. Peacock. Tubridy. Burton.

I am the girl from that town & I'm darn proud of it.

Comment

Yes, unfortunately it's not always a cheap hobby.
          If you need any help then ask away, plenty of members here who are happy to help out.
          Elaine

Comment

Hi i was looking for a bit help i believe my great nana was at nazareth house during these years 1936 -1944 . We have been trying so hard to find out if this was the case her name was
            Mary Giles aged 15/16 .

We thought she may have been pregnant but was not sure . We also wanted to know if nazareth house had a mother and baby unit .

We would appreciate any information u could provide .

Comment

Hi i am keen to get in touch with mary above how can i conact her please .

Comment

Hi mary would you mind if i contacted you

Comment

Ghutch87

Mary only posted once and doesn't appear to have visited this site recently, but you can send her a private message by clicking on her name. If she logs in she will receive your message.

Have you found Mary Giles on the 1939 register? Do you mean she was in the home for all those years or just at some point?

OC

Comment

Nazareth House Middlesbrough was not a mother and baby home, it was a catholic girls' school and orphanage.

Nazareth House will answer queries by post and there is no charge. Be aware though, that many of their archives have been "lost".

OC

Comment

Hi we know she was there but are unsure of the details. There is no picture to click on to contact mary stovin i tried it wont let me private message her .

Comment

Yes my nan is going to contact them today . We wondered about this as my great nana was believed to be pregnant whilst there

Comment

Thanks for the information

Comment

Originally posted by Ghutch87 View Post
                            Hi i am keen to get in touch with mary above how can i conact her please .
                            Originally posted by Ghutch87 View Post
                            Hi mary would you mind if i contacted you
                            I am sorry, I can't tell how or why, but Mary is no longer a member of the site.
                            Caroline
                            Caroline's Family History Pages
                            Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Hi what 1939 register sorry i am new to this

Comment

The 1939 register was a sort of census taken on the eve of Ww2 in 1939. It was intended mostly for information for food rationing purposes but it was updated after the war until about 1992 I think and used as an NHS register. It contains useful information about where people were living in 1939. I don't have access but I am sure someone else will do a look up for you.

OC

Comment

Do you have Mary Giles date of birth?

Comment

Feb 14th 1920

Comment

I'm a bit puzzled. According to Peter Higginbottom, the authority on children's homes and institutions, Nazareth House in Middlesbrough took elderly infirm people and also orphaned Catholic girls aged between 2 and 12, so.not sure why Mary would have been there between 1936 and 1944 unless she was employed there.

There is no mention anywhere of it being either a Magdalene laundry or a M & B home.

It was, of course, one of the homes investigated as part of the abuse scandals surrounding Nazareth Homes.

OC

Comment

I have not been able to find a Mary Giles with a birth date of 14 Feb 1920 on the 1939 register. Have searched for just Giles with that date too.

Comment

Working...
                                        X