No announcement yet.

Nazareth House, Middlesbrough

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, it is the one born in 1920 we are tracing, but what you have found in the previous generation would fit the story also (laundry worker = Nazareth House in my mind, lol). Perhaps it is history repeating itself though.

I have several family stories in my own tree which have turned out to be composites of more than one person doing something and generations being confused.

OC

Comment

Oh yes, I see what you mean OC. Just the generation getting mixed up in the story. I wish Ghutch would come back to tell us what they think and if anything seems to fit.
      Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Hi sorry i have not been on for a while . Give me a while to look over all the comments and ill up date u . Thank you

Comment

Hi. I am GHutch’s mum. I can help you out when G isn’t on ?

Comment

Mary married in 1940. The child she had had to have been born 1936 to 1940. She moved around a lot and could have been in either Scotland or England as she had family in both as her father Harry J was English and her mother Sarah was Scottish. We have tried looking for the birth in both places but hitting walls all the time

Comment

Yes, it is difficult because there are 50 possible births in England and Wales and 26 births in Scotland.

The fact that Mary's husband had to sign adoption papers must mean the adoption took place after their marriage, so the baby might be on the 1939 register if born before the register was taken of course. Perhaps someone on here will look at the register to see.

If you still have any relatives in Scotland perhaps you could persuade them to go to Edinburgh or Glasgow. For a day fee of about £20, they can look at all 26 birth certificates of a Giles baby and quickly find any which are illegitimate and have a mother called Mary.

OC

Comment

I can't find the possible child I found born 1939 on the 1939 register. She could of course still be alive though, so wouldn't be on it anyway.

Comment

No I can’t find her on the 1939 register but it wasn’t done in Scotland so she might not be on it anyway. As for the adoption papers, we assumed the same but were told by Barnardos I think that he would have to sign them as he would have been her husband and perhaps presumed father but I think this unlikely as he was in the army and home every 6/8 weeks which would be difficult for her during that time to conceal a pregnancy and then she herself joined up in 42

Comment

Plus she took the 3 years off her age prior to meeting him and I think that’s been done to conceal the child.. ahh needle/haystack

Comment

Misread your message OC. the baby was born prior to the marriage but the adoption did take place after, approx 1946/7

Comment

Yes, adoption law means the husband, even if he is not the father, has to sign away his legal right.

OC

Added - the 1939 register for Scotland is available in Glasgow and Edinburgh for personal research.
                        Last edited by Olde Crone Holden; 31-07-19, 09:02. Reason: Added info

Comment

Thanks I didn’t know that. Didn’t even know the register was taken in Scotland. Thought it was only England and Wales. I will go to new register house myself and check this out. ?

Comment

Ooh, well while you are there, check those 26 Giles births too!

OC

Comment

I absolutely intend to. Thanks!

Comment

Ahh foiled again. Called Edinburgh. The Scottish register is not available to search :(

Comment

Oh, I read somewhere that it is available. I will try to find the info again.

OC

Comment

I can see a ........Giles/Giles 1837 but Hull, E Riding reg.
                                    Not sure how many children Mary had with husband but
                                    Ancestry has a user submitted comment attached to record re above being half sibling and being adopted.

Vera

Comment

I assume you meant the one in 1937 Vera? I can't find a tree on Ancestry that her listed though.

Comment

Yes Chrissie 1937. So used to dealing with the 1800's. Comment attached to birth record on Ancestry.
                                        Couldn't find a tree but member identified.

Vera

Comment

Thanks Vera I have found it now. She comes on quite regularly (4 days ago) but following her husband backwards it looks as though he was born out of wedlock too but not under the name Giles and not in an area associated with these Giles as far as we know..... so a puzzle. Also, no marriage found of a Giles to her husbands surname.

Comment

Working...
                                          X