No announcement yet.

Nazareth House, Middlesbrough

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for looking, Jill. I couldn't find a birth either (if Mary was born in Middlesbrough of course).

OC

Comment

I can see a Mary Giles on 1939 but with different date of birth of 14/09/1920. She is single and a Shop Assistant.

That Mary is with
      Charles born 1899
      Margaret b 1900
      Sheila b 1926
      Living 3 Lime Street, Eston, Nth Yorks

There could be others at the address but cant confirm as names covered and between 3-5 Lime Street

Vera

Comment

Do you have a birth date for her sister Sarah or Sadie that you mentioned on another thread? Also, do you have any other information on the family that might give us a clue. Not mentioning the names of anyone living of course.
        Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 22-07-19, 09:38.
        Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Olde Crone Holden -

She was transferred there from the cottage homes in Sunderland we believe as a helper as she was nearly 16 . is there any ways of finding out about the adults who worked or helped there .

thank you

Comment

we believe that her birthday was correct although i do no at one point she lied about her age being born in 1923

Comment

Jill she did lie about her age at one point saying it was 1923

Comment

she was born in paisley scotland

Comment

Hi Chrissie Smiff all we know about sarah is she was born in 1929 . All the family information we have is - MY great nana was born in paisley 14th feb 1920 - we are unsure of her life for a long time as she had told my great granddad a lot of tails . she was at the sunderland cottages and transferred to Nazareth house when she was around 15/16 . we believe she may have been pregnant and possibly moved on ... however we think she may have been a helper but can find no record of her. We believe she went on to have a baby girl name and d/o/b unknown . we are unsure what happened to the baby we believe she stayed with a family member but cannot be sure . She went on to meet my great granddad and lied that she was born in 1923 we believe this was to make her younger making it look like she could not have had a child , my Great Grandad was in the military and when he came home once he signed adoption papers for a little girl who my Nana had said was her little sister . My granddad at the time when asked was old and could not remember any details of the little girl (this is who we are trying to find details on along with my Nanas goings on ). He said that he though she may have been adopted to Canada butbefore we can search for her we have to find the details of nana and when and where she had the baby .

Comment

If you google "nazareth house Middlesbrough" you will find the Children's Homes site, which has an address for Nazareth House enquiries.
                    I
                    She wasn't there in 1939 (post #22 above).

OC

Comment

Actually, no, forget post #22, that can't be the correct Mary as that one was born and registered in Middlesbrough.I

There is a Mary Giles born and registered in 1920 in Scotland but no Sarah in 1929!

OC

Comment

Right, Sarah was born in 1929 in England, mother's maiden name Traynor, which matches Mary Traynor Giles born in Scotland in 1920.

OC

Comment

What year did Mary marry, please, as that will narrow the window for her baby being born.

OC

Comment

I had typed this all out before I saw OC's replies, but it sounds as though we are of similar minds.

From the information you have given I found a possible birth on Scotlands People –
                            GILES ForenameMARY TRAYNOR GenderF Year1920 Ref573/1 357 RD NamePaisley

This is then all guesswork of course and you would need the birth cert to go further. But often the second name gives a clue to the mother’s maiden name .e. Traynor. I couldn’t find a marriage in Scotland of a Giles to a Traynor.

I couldn’t find a birth for a Sarah/Sadie in1929 but I did find one in Sunderland of a Sarah Giles with mmn Traynor and a possible marriage in 1918 in Sunderland of a Harry J Giles to a possible Sarah Traynor. Between 1925 and 1931 there are also 3 births of possible brothers. I can’t give their names of course, as we don’t know whether they are still alive, but you can easile find them of free BMD. Apart from possibly one who was in a home for orphaned boys in 1939 i.e.
                            Name: John Giles
                            Marital status: Single
                            Birth Date: 18 Mar 1931
                            Residence Year: 1939
                            Address: St Peters Home
                            Residence Place: Barnard Castle, Durham , England
                            Schedule Number: 123
                            Sub Schedule Number: 105
                            OVSPI: Inmate
                            Enumeration District: FHAP
                            Registration district: 548-1

As regards the possible daughter of Mary I could only find one Giles with mmn Giles in the close area and that was in 1939, but again you would need to look on free BMD as she could easily still be alive.

I assume that all the people you have mentioned so far are all deceased?

All this is of course pure speculation on my part and would need certificates to verify it all. If I am close though, I wonder why they went to Scotland to have Mary?

Also, I am concerned about the fact that it looks as though John may have been an orphan in 1939. There is a death of a Sarah Giles Sept 1931 in Sunderland aged 36, but Harry J is more difficult.

Comment

Chrissie

I found the same as you did, plus definitely one, possibly two, brothers born in Scotland between 1918 and 1925.

OC

Comment

There is also a birth In Paisley that might fit with the death of Sarah Giles aged 36 in 1931 Sunderland.
                                Sarah Traynor born illegitimately Dec 1994 to Mary Traynor a laundry worker at Castle Street Paisley.

Comment

Chrissie, can you clarify the year please? I'm not picking up the birth of a Sarah Traynor. But the information you give is very interesting and fits nicely if she was staying with maternal relatives and used their surname.

OC

Comment

Sorry OC, I am always putting 19 something when I mean 18 something- oops. It was registered January 17th 1895 but she was born 29th December 1894.

Comment

Thanks Chrissie!

It looks like the family story has been a bit garbled then and it was the previous generation possibly. Although a birth in 1894 would not have resulted in a formal adoption.

OC

Comment

Isn't it the younger Sarah or Mary Giles who were supposed to have had an illegitimate child OC?

I think I am getting confused. I could do with writing out a possible tree lol.
                                        Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 24-07-19, 10:13.

Comment

Working...
                                        X