Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Book reviews

Book reviews

We are looking to develop the Family History Books section in the Reference Library with the addition of more book reviews which can be found on the following pages:

I am sure many of us have a collection of history or family history related books on our bookshelves, or have borrowed some from family, friends on the local library.
    Would you like to write a short review of a book you have read?
    Did you enjoy it?
    Would you recommend it?

Please post your book reviews on this thread and we will transfer it to the relevant page in the Reference Library.

Thanks.
    Elaine

Blog Entries
    I think this is a great idea Elaine and I will certainly contribute over the next few weeks.

Remembering: Cuthbert Gregory 1889 - 1916, George Arnold Connelly 1886 - 1917, Thomas Lowe Davenport 1890 - 1917, Roland Davenport Farmer 1885 - 1916, William Davenport Sheffield 1879 - 1915, Cuthbert Gregory 1918 - 1944

Thanks Tom. I've got a few of my own to add as well.
    Elaine

I may well have one or two of my own.

What about family history database CDs, software and the like? Is there a review slot for those?

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Quote Originally Posted by Christine in Herts View Post
    What about family history database CDs, software and the like? Is there a review slot for those?
    Christine
    Nothing at the moment - will have a think and get back to you.
    Elaine

Quote Originally Posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
    Nothing at the moment - will have a think and get back to you.
    Don't panic about it! I'm not likely to get anything done very soon, even there is a slot!

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Anyone with ancestor who worked in mining should read "Children of the Dark", by Alan Gallop (Sutton Publishing Ltd 2003)

It is about the Huskar Pit disaster in 1838 near Barnsley, Yorkshire when 26 child workers died in a flash flood underground. (I actually have a slight connection to one of the children). Not only does the book set the scene in a semi-fictionalised way about the life and conditions of the miners, but it also has lots of details about the inquest and investigation into the tragedy which illustrate the attitudes of the mine owners and others in authority at that time. As a result, in 1842, the labour laws were changed to exclude women and children from working underground.

Anne
    Last edited by Anne in Carlisle; 18-01-11 at 10:43.

Blog Entries
    William Allen, Quaker Friend of Lindfield by Margaret Nicolle £8.95
    This book mixes the biography of the Quaker philanthropist and Anti-Slavery campaigner with the history of his influence in the village of Lindfield, Sussex. Allen was successful in gaining sponsors in order to set up an industrial school and allotment and small holding plots in Lindfield in the 1820s as an alternative to emigration to the colonies to escape rural poverty. The settlements continued well after his death in 1843, the last cottages survived until the 1950s. The book contains photographs, maps, illustrations of contemporary documents and political cartoons of the time.

Available from the author’s website though I got mine from Bookstop, the Lindfield bookshop behind the greengrocers
    http://www.williamallenquaker.co.uk/

Steel Bonnets by George Macdonald Fraser

This gives a good overview of the border reivers and will provide background information for anyone who has ancestors from the area north of Hadrians Wall into Southern Scotland. The book was first recommended to me by OC
    Barbara

Blog Entries
    Anyone with Irish ancestry should read at least one of the books about The 1916 Uprising.

I knew that at least one of my Grandfather’s brothers was involved and held at Frongoch Camp in Wales which prompted me to purchase the book below.

Much to my surprise I found no mention of his name but discover another brother listed!
    F. Pollard of 31 Lower Dominick St, Dublin is listed in the 1916 Rebellion Handbook. He was amongst the 289 prisoners who were removed from Richmond Barracks, Dublin on 30th April and lodged in Stafford Detention Barracks on 1st May.

Louisa O'Sullivan is also mentioned in the 1916 Rebellion Handbook as being one of 64 Women who were released by the military authorities after having their cases fully investigated on the 22nd May. Is this where Louisa met her future husband, Francis Pollard who was also arrested or were they already known to one another? They were married in 1920 in Dublin.

Many soldiers from Britain lost their lives during the 1916 Uprising.

1916 REBELLION HANDBOOK
    First published 1916 by Weekly Irish Times
    The edition I have, Published 1998 by The Mourne River Press

Contents.
    A complete and connected narrative of the Rising with detailed accounts of the fighting at ALL points.
    Story of the Great Fire, with lists of premises involved.
    Military & Rebellion Proclamations and Despatches.
    Punishment of Rebels – full Record of sentences.
    Casualties – Official lists of Military, Royal Irish Constabulary, Dublin Metropolitan Police, Volunteer Training Corps and Rebels.
    Names of Persons Interred in Cemeteries.
    Official Lists of Prisoners Deported and Released.

Special Map - Illustrating the area of fighting

Despatches of Sir John Maxwell & Viscount French.
    Honours, Promotions and Awards to Military, Police & Civilians.
    Courts Martial at Richmond Barracks – Reports of Public Trials.
    Sir Roger Casement’s Landing, Capture, Trial & Execution.
    Hardinge Commission of Enquiry – Evedence & Report.
    Simon Commission of Enquiry – Evidence & Report.
    Works of the Hospitals – St John Ambulance – City and County of Dublin Red Cross Societies – Lists of names.
    Facimile Reproduction of Rebel Proclamations.
    Names of Prisoners Released under General Amnesty.
    Photographs, Personal Notes and New Index
    teresa