Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Book reviews

Beginning Your Family History by George Pelling
    and
    The Family Tree Detective - Tracing your ancestors in England and Wales by Colin D. Rogers.

At the very start of our active research into our ancestral families, we borrowed these books from the library and then decided to buy them. They give excellent tips on how to do things at the beginning of researching and for when one becomes more experienced, too. I would recommend them both; they are really useful reference books.
    Joy

Here's another one with a coal mining background and an astonishing Family History story as well. A cracking read!

"Black Diamonds" The Rise and Fall of an English Dynasty by Catherine Bailey

It is about the Fitzwilliam family of Wentworth in the West Riding of Yorkshire. The title Earl Fitzwilliam goes back centuries but the book concentrates on the 19th and 20th centuries. The title lapsed (when the 10th Earl died) in 1979 after an extraordinary series of family events! The Fitzwilliams were owners of a huge estate, massive stately home and some coal mines. They were locally regarded as comparitavely reasonable mine owners. The book has detailed descriptions of the lives of miners, both in the Fitzwilliam pits and in other (much worse) ones nearby. It also describes the miners strikes in the early 20C and the period leading up to Nationalisation.

Anne

I know what subjects I'd like to read more about:
    Family Research thru Guild records
    Strategies for finding family information from late 1700 and early 1800 London/Middlesex
    Guide to records - types of records and where they're located.

I know some of these exist - I just don't know them.

Thanks everyone. Your reviews have been added to the following pages.

Look forward to reading some more, so keep them coming!
    Elaine

Quote Originally Posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
    Thanks everyone. Your reviews have been added to the following pages.
    Look forward to reading some more, so keep them coming!
    Hello Elaine,

I write fiction in the mystery/thriller crime genres with a genealogical angle. I was recommended to Family Tree Forum by a genealogist who had read my eBook recently, saying that you have a book recommendations section within the forum. I wanted to ask if it would be okay to tell other forum members about my book, or perhaps you could add the details to your books section. I published two months ago with Amazon for Kindle and for other formats through Smashwords. The book is called "In the Blood (A genealogical crime mystery) and on Amazon.co.uk it is currently ranked 531 in the kindle store with 39 reviews and an average rating of 4.9 out of 5 stars. It's about a genealogist who sets out to investigate a discrepancy in his clients family tree and it something that I believe Family Tree Forum members would enjoy. Here's a link if you would like to see the details on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Blood-genea...3674537&sr=8-1

Best wishes,
    Steve Robinson.
    Last edited by SteveRobinson; 18-08-11 at 17:40.

Steve, welcome to Family Tree Forum.
    If you would like to submit a short review of your book I will add it to the appropriate page in our reference library.
    Elaine

Thanks Elaine,

Here is the description on Amazon:

IN THE BLOOD (A genealogical crime mystery).

Print Length: 344 pages (at 320 words per page). Words: 110,000.

DESCRIPTION

Family history was never supposed to be like this...

A dark genealogical secret locked in the past. A family historian trying to unlock it. Trouble is, someone else is looking for the same answers and they will stop at nothing to find them.

When American genealogist, Jefferson Tayte, accepted his latest assignment, he had no idea it might kill him. “I’m a family historian for Christ sakes!” But while murder was never part of the curriculum, Tayte is kidding himself if he thinks he can walk away from this one.

Driven by the all-consuming irony of being a genealogist who doesn’t even know who his own parents are, Tayte soon finds that the assignment shares a stark similarity to his own struggle. Someone has gone to great lengths to erase an entire family bloodline from recorded history and he’s not going home until he’s found out why. After all, if he’s not good enough to find this family, how can he ever expect to be good enough to someday find his own?

Set in Cornwall, England, past and present, Tayte's research centres around the tragic life of a young Cornish girl, a writing box, and the discovery of a dark family secret that he believes will lead him to the family he is looking for.

Link to In the Blood on Amazon.co.uk: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Blood-genea...3674537&sr=8-1
    Genealogical Crime Writer. Author of Kindle bestseller, 'In the Blood (A genealogical crime mystery).

Thanks Steve. Added to our Historical fiction page
    Elaine

Quote Originally Posted by SteveRobinson View Post
    Thanks Elaine,

Here is the description on Amazon:

IN THE BLOOD (A genealogical crime mystery).

Print Length: 344 pages (at 320 words per page). Words: 110,000.

DESCRIPTION

Family history was never supposed to be like this...

A dark genealogical secret locked in the past. A family historian trying to unlock it. Trouble is, someone else is looking for the same answers and they will stop at nothing to find them.

When American genealogist, Jefferson Tayte, accepted his latest assignment, he had no idea it might kill him. “I’m a family historian for Christ sakes!” But while murder was never part of the curriculum, Tayte is kidding himself if he thinks he can walk away from this one.

Driven by the all-consuming irony of being a genealogist who doesn’t even know who his own parents are, Tayte soon finds that the assignment shares a stark similarity to his own struggle. Someone has gone to great lengths to erase an entire family bloodline from recorded history and he’s not going home until he’s found out why. After all, if he’s not good enough to find this family, how can he ever expect to be good enough to someday find his own?

Set in Cornwall, England, past and present, Tayte's research centres around the tragic life of a young Cornish girl, a writing box, and the discovery of a dark family secret that he believes will lead him to the family he is looking for.

Link to In the Blood on Amazon.co.uk: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Blood-genea...3674537&sr=8-1
    Hi is this book available in print as well as we don't all have kindles ??? Thanks
    borobabs passed away March 2018

have just downloaded to my kindle thank you very much - looks interesting