Bankruptcy in the 1890s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bankruptcy in the 1890s

My husband's great x2 grandfather, farmer, Thomas John Anderson, died on 22 Oct 1896, in Bisham parish, Berkshire. Around the time of his death he was made bankrupt and afterwards his widow, son and his family moved into nearby Maidenhead, where he worked as a labourer.

We have been in contact with a descendant of one of Thomas' brothers who has information that Thomas' daughter paid off the debt.

However, I have been unable to find anymore information about the bankruptcy and was hoping that the kind members of FTF will be help me break down this longstanding brick wall

Where would the legal proceedings have taken place - would this have been Reading, as the county town?

I'm wondering whether records would be held at the Berkshire Record Office or the National Archives??

I haven't found anything in the London Gazette.

Thanks for your help

Hi Velma, what is the source you have for his being made bankrupt?
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Heresay from a descendant of one of his brothers, with the info that the daughter paid the debt off... so perhaps he was not officially made bankrupt...

Comment

You could be right. Every official bankruptcy has a Gazette notice recording every step of the process. The same is true to day for business insolvencies.
        Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Working...
        X