Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the ref above is the only EA death in Notts for that year
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

• Found the name Lyon while browsing - probably not relevant, but thought I'd pass it on

Newspapers of the times show marriages "after the manner of the Jews," took place in Sunderland from 1791, the earliest recorded ceremony being that of Lyon Hermann, a dentist of Edinburgh and Mrs. H. Pollock, widow of the late Mr. Pollock, a merchant from London.

Comment

• Thanks very much, Trina...all worth storing away....I think there were quite a few Ashers up in Scotland, I've come across an American DNA testing site & the Ashers are one of the names they dealing with & they refer to Ashers, probably of Jewish ancestry, there

Comment

• Hi - just catching up...any new developments?

Comment

• Hello, Naomi....thanks for your continuing interest. Haven't had much time lately....hoping to get back on track in the New Year. Just a couple of minor things that might be something & nothing. I've found a Mary Asher baptised at Greasley, Notts, in 1717....this was 70 years before Lyon was born in Prussia. The lacemaking Bradley family (remember the Alfred Bradley puzzle ?) were from Greasley. The problem is that Greasley is a small village but a large parish, so it's impossible to say if, or in how far, this strengthens any link. I'd have thought that Mary Asher's family was almost certainly of Jewish/Prussian origin....maybe Lyon was a distant relative & it was simply a case of the connection meaning that Lyon was given work hawking George Bradley's lace around Nottingham. Now I've got my free subscription to Ancestry with the FTM, I'm going to have a quick shuftie around the Ashers of Greasley (Mary ended up living in Wollaton...near to where you were)

The other vague thing....if anyone remembers, way back in the late 60s/early 70s a woman who said she was a "born Asher from Florida" contacted my father's cousin & invited all the Asher relatives to a big party at Claridge's. My father didn't go because he wasn't interested (grr), but the cousin went & had a whale of a time. Haven't been able to find out who she was. My ggg grandfather's brother/stepbrother ended up in Apalachicola, Florida, but, as far as I can make out (from the grave etc), he didn't marry or have children (unless he had illegitimate children, who adopted the surname....he left a childless wife in England who later remarried). But the person I'm now in contact with who had the Reuben Asher ancestor in Ohio, who looks as though he could be connected to my Ashers, reckons that one of them moved to Florida....so that might be worth looking into.

Comment

• Oh, I'd better point out that the woman from Florida would certainly be dead by now....she was in her 70s when she came over.

Comment

• To get back to my Ashers/Assurs & Harts......

To recap (sorry)...my Ashers seem to be connected in some way to a Caroline Asher/Assur (a widow/single mother by 1841, original name Caroline Emmanuel,..born in Portsea...son Henry Asher/Assur born in London in 1834...no idea who the Mr Asher/Assur was who was presumably Henry's father) Caroline married a Joseph Hart in 1847.

I've been in touch with someone researching Assurs/Assers...no obvious connection, but their gggg grandparents were a Joseph Asser, baptised Fyfield Essex in 1771, who married a Sarah Hart, baptised Bottisham, Canbridgeshire in 1775 in Shoreditch in 1795

Comment

• greyingrey
                  I cannot know whether you will receive this as your last posts on this topic date from 2010.
                  Anyway
                  Leh Lyon was my great great great Grandfather.
                  I am interested in sharing a little information.
                  Does this interest you?

for example:-
                  our research seems to diverge a little.
                  You say:
                  'Leh , Elizabeth & their daughter Rosa/Rosetta emigrated to the US sometime between the 1841 English census &
                  the 1850 New York census. They spent the rest of their lives in Albany, New York.'

My take on records accords that Leh, Elizabeth and Rosetta certainly disappear from English census records in the mid 1800's.
                  However, Elizabeth later appears (returned to?) in England a widow and at 1871 is living just a few miles from
                  Chatham/Gillingham with son Simeon in Rochester Kent along with Rosetta, now Rosetta Cohen, who is recorded as blind.
                  In 1881 Rosetta/Rose is shown as '20 years blind', still living with elder brother Simeon/Simon.

I am interested in your Nottingham connection.
                  You are fully aware that Leh and Elizabeth's eldest sons, Simeon/Simon and Asher are shown as born in Nottingham.
                  Actually I am descended from their younger brother, Samuel, but I still would like to understand about these family members in Nottingham at an earlier point than 1841.

There may be a little more information about this Rosetta during the 1860's but it is difficult for me to verify as things stand.

Comment

• Hello and welcome to the site, Mutly.

You can private message greyingrey and she will be alerted by email. If you tap on her name the drop down will give you this option. I'm sure she will be excited to hear from you.
                    Last edited by Tilly Mint; 11-09-14, 19:51.
                    Jacky

Comment

• Thanks for your advice, Tilly Mint. I have just done that.

Comment

• just found:
                        The cemetery lies in a rectangular plot which comes right up to the back of Chatham synagogue........
                        There are a number of gravestones of interest in the cemetery, among the 200 or so to be found there.....
                        In the next row is a tomb (B, 2) of Elizabeth Lyon, "of Albany U.S.".

Comment

• Just bringing this back up for Grey to see.......
                          Jacky

Comment

• Lyon research...Leh Lyon etc

Originally posted by Tilly Mint View Post
                            Just bringing this back up for Grey to see.......
                            Thanks, Tilly Mint. I hope greyingrey is able to respond. Since writing I have done much more research on the Lyon connections.......

Comment

Working...
                            X