Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Francis Atkins 1789-1857 (Kent & Ireland)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Francis Atkins 1789-1857 (Kent & Ireland)

I recently posted this on another forum and had a message from another member suggesting that it may be worth posting it on this forum.

I have hit a "personal brickwall" with regards to researching Francis Atkins my GGG Grandfather.

From the marriage certificate for James Atkins (my GG Grandfather), A Francis Atkins is the father of James Atkins. The marriage was solemized at Canterbury in the parish of St. Alphege on 9th October 1854.
    Details from the certificate: James Atkins, batchelor aged 34, residence Teynham - Hannah Elizabeth Minter, spinster aged 35, residence St.Alphege. Grooms Fathers name: Francis Atkins - Labourer and Brides fathers name: John Minter - Butcher.

A Francis Atkins of the correct age can be located in the 1841 and 1851 census returns living in Teynham. His wife Margaret is shown to be born in Ireland as possibly was James and his brother Thomas.

1841 - Source Citation: Class: HO107; Piece 476; Book: 4; Civil Parish: Teynham; County: Kent; Enumeration District: 2; Folio: 23; Page: 10; Line: 21; GSU roll: 306871.

Francis Atkins 50, Ag Lab, Birthplace=Kent
    Margaret Atkins 45-Birthplace=Ireland
    Thomas Atkins 15=Kent
    Frances Atkins 12-Kent
    Joseph Atkins 9-Kent
    Mary Atkins 9-Kent

1851 - Source Citation: Class: HO107; Piece: 1626; Folio: 567; Page: 20; GSU roll: 193527.
    Francis Atkins 65-Chelsea Pensioner, Ag Lab, Birthplace=Teynham (1786)
    Margaret Atkins 56-Birthplace=Ireland (1796)
    Thomas Atkins 28 Birthplace=Ireland (1823)
    Francis Atkins 21 Birthplace=Teynham (1830)
    Mary Atkins 19 Birthplace=Teynham (1832)

Supporing information for James Atkins is from the following Census returns:

From the 1851 census (Source Citation: Class: HO107; Piece: 1626; Folio: 575; Page: 37; GSU roll: 193527.)
    Upper Newlands Farm Teynham.
    Anna Minter (33) Birthplace Canterbury, Cook, Unmarried. (could this be Hannah??)
    James Atkins (30) Birthplace Teynham, Groom, Unmarried.
    Could be that they met whilst working on this farm.

From the 1861 Source Citation: Class: RG9; Piece: 528; Folio: 4; Page: 2; GSU roll: 542655.
    James Askins (Atkins) 41, Ag Lab Birthplace given as Ireland?? Hannah E Askins (Atkins) 43 Birthplace=Bridge,

Edward J Askins (Atkins) 6, Birthplace=Bapchild Elizabeth Askins (Atkins) 4 Birthplace=Bapchild.
    (Bridge is a village just outside Canterbury)

From the 1871 Source Citation: Class: RG10; Piece: 999; Folio: 6; Page: 6; GSU roll: 827255.
    James A Atkins (57-Groom and Gardener, Birthplace=Teynham) Hannah E Atkins (53 Birthplace=Bridge) Edward J Atkins (16-Agricultural Labourer, Birthplace=Bapchild)

From the 1881 census Source Citation: Class: RG11; Piece: 971; Folio: 93; Page: 16; GSU roll: 1341231.
    James Atkins (60, Farm Labourer, Birthplace Tenyham) Elizabeth Atkins (Hannah Elizabeth Minter) (62) Birthplace - Bridge.

Can anyone offer any suggestions on how I can further research my Atkins ancestors.

I had a few useful tips and have since looked at the "rootsireland" site and unfortunately I cannot find any records from the index that are worth exploring further.

The key missing fact is obviously the marriage of Francis and Margaret. That would have given me another surname to chase.

Francis I believe died in 1857 so it would have probably been Margaret who registered the death. Margaret I believe died in 1866 (in the Faversham Workhouse) so I would not expect to gain any additional information from the respective death certificates.

I have tried contact with fellow Atkins researchers further down the family line but as yet no additional hints.

Thanks

Pete Spain

As Francis is described as a Chelsea Pensioner I checked the indexed discharge papers on the National Archives site and found a Francis Atkins, born Teynham, served in the 68th Foot 1808-1820, discharged aged 27 (age is a litte out) The actual papers should be on the FindmyPast website although they are unlikely to mention any marriage or next of kin. It might be worth checking Army marraiges on FindmyPast in case they were married 1820 or before, although the records are by no means complete. It would be good to find out where the 68th Foot were based and where he intended to live after discharge from the Army - this info should be available at the National Archives. If they married whilst Francis was still in the Army then it's likely they had older children.
    The National Archives, Kew – Research Service Offered
    Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

If you have an Ancestry sub with LMA records, it might be worth a look to see if you can spot anything there, too.

There's a marriage in 1819 in Chelsea, for a Francis ATKINS, but the bride's name is Mary LAWSON - which gives the wrong Christian name, of course.
      Last edited by Christine in Herts; 20-09-10, 16:41.
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Many thanks for the replies and the information.

Regards

Pete

Comment

Francis and Margaret ATKINS are also my GGG parents with their eldest son James ATKINS being my GG grandfather.
          Having passed through the family, I am now the owner of the family bible that was originally owned by my GG grandfather James. In this bible, there are four pages in total which contain handwritten entries. Two front pages relate to the ATKINS family while the two back pages relate to the HUCKSTEP family
          A front page where it says “James AKTINS Given him by Mrs Knickoles Oct 2 1842 aged 22” and in a different hand “James ATKINS Died December 9th 1890 Interred at Norton Churchyard aged 71 years.

A second front page starting with James Atkins' mother Margaret ATKINS born Nov 18 1795 and a list of her offspring
          James ATKINS b 2-10-1820
          Thomas ATKINS b 17-3-1823
          Margaret ATKINS b 2-3-1827
          Francis ATKINS b 9 -8-1829
          Joseph and Mary ATKINS b 19-1-1832
          The last entry which is for Ann Elizabeth ATKINS is in a different hand.

Two back pages listing the HUCKSTEP family listing the nine siblings including my maternal grandmother Lilian May HUCKSTEP born December 17 1900.

Comment

Hi,
            I am so glad to receive notification of your post after over 4 years since I posted on this site. There is not much doubt from the information you provided that we have common ancestors. I would be very keen in further conversation with you and will send you a private message with email details.

Many thanks to you and many thanks to Family Tree Forum

Comment

Working...
            X