Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: RAF WW2 Hubert Alexander Harries anyone alble to help?

Blog Entries
    Hi Margaret, yes that is indeed mine over on tribal pages, if you see ajchambers8, thats likely to be me :¬)

Is your gran still alive, because if she is she should be able to get the records free of charge (as his wife, if she was still his wife when he died). This is what the MOD say about applying for service records

http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/Ab...ePersonnel.htm

Also were any children born while he served in the RAF? The reason I ask is that my birth certificate has my fathers RAF service number on and my marriage certificate and my daughters birth certificate both have my OH service number on. This however might not always be the case as a quick look at my son's birth certificate shows no service number for his father.

Linda
    LindaG

Blog Entries
    Hi there, no my grans not alive, there is one of his kids still alive, my aunt but she lives somewhere in france i think. If there was a second family they may still be alive I just done know. I have no idea what period he served either, the aunt that is alive was a post war baby who was part of the post war baby boom!I will try the ministry of defence with his death cert then, maybe I can explain to them the situation and get some help from them.

I just find it very odd that there appears to be no mention of him anywhere other than the footprints I have left online. He doesnt come up when searching the national archives either, not even to say the records are sealed.

I have tried searching under 'Bert' as well as this was the name he was more commonly known as, but this has been to no avail.
    I do appreciate the help guys thanks so much.
    Angela

You wouldn't expect his name to come up in a search of the National Archives as they don't have his records - they are still with the RAF.

There should be records of the Squadron he served with at the National Archives but none of it is online - you'd have to go there, or get someone to go for you.
    The National Archives, Kew – Research Service Offered
    Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Blog Entries
    yes I should've thought that there would be some reference to his name in a catologue ref or something. I do find it strange. I know his actual service records would not be held there, but as he was supposedly thought missing in action ...or quite possibly just awol, I would have hoped to find something acknowledging his existance.

I know he married my gran in st pancres 1935, my dad was born later that year, my aunt in 1939 and my other aunt in 1946

There's no references on-line for any WW2 military records so not finding him would not be unusual.
    If you apply for his records from MOD I would not say anything other than you are next of kin by ticking the appropriate box on the form and sending the money.
    Margaret

Blog Entries
    thanks margaret, I'll have to try & do as you've saidonce my finances are a bit better sorted out!...It really would be great to see his records and find out for myself.

Are researching the Chambers name? I'm just doing a tree for my neighbour with that name and it's from the Huntingdon area.
    Margaret

Blog Entries
    Hi there Margaret, thanks for asking that but no I'm not doing anything on the Chambers family, thats just my surname from my last marriage, from which I have no issue. I know that branch lived in walthamstow london and possibly went on to essex.

Right, n ot likely to be the one I'm researching as they are, so far, in the Midlands.
    Margaret