Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Family tree structure - offspring protocol

If I display my family tree on a page like :

If the mother had a baby by another father just before the marriage, how should that be represented in the family tree structure ?

I was going to put the baby just above the horizontal line, below the mother.

Is there a protocol about this ?

cheers, Ian.
    Last edited by Caroline; 07-09-10, 09:00. Reason: Replacing image for Ian

Hi Ian

Technically, the baby would not appear on that particular tree as it is showing the descendants of K, not those of L. The baby would not be a blood relative of K - he would be the baby's step-dad.

If you're entering the details in a family tree program, then you create a second spouse for L (call him "unknown" if you don't have his name), then you add the baby as a descendant of him & L. The child would then appear in L's descendancy tree, though not in K's tree.

Of course, if you're drawing your tree "free-style", then you can add whoever or whatever you wish! Maybe just add a side-branch coming off the mother's name? It's up to you, really.
    Last edited by Caroline; 07-09-10, 07:10.

Comment

Sorry I had to remove your image, but here is an illustration of what Richard is suggesting:

Last edited by Caroline; 07-09-10, 07:20.
      Caroline
      Caroline's Family History Pages
      Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Ok, thanks for that !

I think i'm favoring a separate line down from the mother to the 'other child', sitting just above the other two children.

I'm updating my Dad's book, written in the 1970's and I can now imagine how difficult it must be to represent complex relationships in the form of a line and level structure. When a little baby from a previous relationship is brought up along with 2 other children, he is just as much a part of the family as the others, but of course, bloodlines have to be represented somehow.

Thanks !
        Ian.

Comment

... of course, Dad used a different arrangement of tree in his book, so I'm having to fit in with it :

FamHistoryStructure.jpg

Comment

Working...
          X