Best software for mac/

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best software for mac/

I have always used Windows computers and hubby bought me a mac for my Birthday.
    I now need to know which is the best FT Software for mac.

I love the fact that on Family tree Maker 2010 that it should leaves when there was a hint on Ancestry do any of the mac programmes do this

Thank you for your help

Dawn
    researching HORNIGOLD,HORNAGOLD, HORNEGOLD etc.

Someone on another forum was recommending MacFamilyTree, but as I don't use a mac I can't really give any advice. I think that S & N Genealogy have at least one programme for a mac.

Probably not much help, but it might give you a few ideas.

Margaret
    Margaret

Comment

I think the two most popular are MacFamilyTree and Heredis, but I've no personal experience of either.
      I did read recently that Family Tree Maker are going to produce a version which is compatible with the Mac but no idea of release date.
      I don't think you will find any other program that integrates with Ancestry in the same way as FTM does.
      Elaine

Comment

Link to the Ancestry blog re FTM for the Mac
        Elaine

Comment

THANK YOU FOR FTM for MAC RESPONSES

THANKS for the answers - happy to see that I will be able to get FTM for my mac sometime this year

Comment

Would just like to keep this thread prominent as I use a Mac too & am looking to buy my first softwear. I have a friend who has been researching family history for years & her favourite is Roots Web Magic.....but I can't use that. What are the advantages of FTM ?

Comment

On the new macs you can run Windows OS as well as Mac OS, think bootcamp is part of OS (not sure as not a big fan of Macs) think there are other software titles available that will allow same
              Pretty sure that the new FTM 2011 is coming out as a Mac version fairly soon (its been promised in there marketing of it)

Comment

Oh has a Mac and uses Reunion - he is very happy with that. He used to have FTM and reckons Reunion is better. He had no desire to use Bootcamp and although it might not interlink with Ancestry in the same way he is more than happy with the programme.
                There is no absolute truth - and no final answer.

Comment

Hello Marion.....I'm googling Reunion & getting nowhere....have you got a link at all, please ?

Comment

For anyone who is interested, FTM announced that a version for Mac has been released this week.
                    Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by greyingrey View Post
                      Hello Marion.....I'm googling Reunion & getting nowhere....have you got a link at all, please ?
                      The Reunion link, along with some others, is on our Genealogy Software page in the Reference Library.
                      Elaine

Comment

Thanks Elaine...just found it on Amazon....along with Reunion......

Comment

Sorry - just got home from weekend away - glad you have found it - should be www.leisterpro.com
                          Marion
                          There is no absolute truth - and no final answer.

Comment

Some time back I looked for a mac family tree program. Back then I opted for MacFamilyTree. Quite liked the program and found it quite easy to use. However I did miss the tree layouts and reports in Family Historian. Sadly it doesn't look like there is going to be a Mac version of that in the foreseeable future, so in the end I opted for Parallels running windows and still use FH.

Linda
                            LindaG

Comment

Just noticed this if it helps

Linda
                              LindaG

Comment

Originally posted by Lindag View Post
                                Thanks for that Linda

I was just searching the internet to find out the release date ~ it says 19th Nov.

I currently have MacFamilyTree but cant be bothered to use it and I'm missing Ancestry, so have been waiting for a good deal ~ £44.99 for 6 months will probably do it for me
                                ~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

also on ebay
                                  My Family History Blog Site:

https://chiddicksfamilytree.com

Comment

Can I just post a warning on here, please ?

I ordered the Family Tree Maker for Mac from Amazon....it's described by Amazon as being compatible with Mac OSX. When it arrived however, I read in the accompanying booklet that it only works with OSX versions 5 onwards....as luck would have it, I've got the last of the OSX 4 versions. I phoned my nearest Apple Centre & they said that you can update for 29 Euros.....the snag is that you might lose anything from none to all of your existing programmes in the process. As OH has got a lot of important programmes he needs for work on here, it's not worth the risk.

Anyway, I've returned it to Amazon....hopefully they'll accept that this is "their fault" & make a contribution to the return postage, which they do in such a case. But I'll still be out of pocket (sent it to the UK from Germany)

Annoying because, if they'd have described it correctly, I wouldn't have ordered it

Comment

Originally posted by greyingrey View Post
                                      Can I just post a warning on here, please ?

I ordered the Family Tree Maker for Mac from Amazon....it's described by Amazon as being compatible with Mac OSX. When it arrived however, I read in the accompanying booklet that it only works with OSX versions 5 onwards....as luck would have it, I've got the last of the OSX 4 versions. I phoned my nearest Apple Centre & they said that you can update for 29 Euros.....the snag is that you might lose anything from none to all of your existing programmes in the process. As OH has got a lot of important programmes he needs for work on here, it's not worth the risk.

Anyway, I've returned it to Amazon....hopefully they'll accept that this is "their fault" & make a contribution to the return postage, which they do in such a case. But I'll still be out of pocket (sent it to the UK from Germany)

Annoying because, if they'd have described it correctly, I wouldn't have ordered it
                                      Hiya
                                      Another warning .....
                                      We ordered mine through Amazon and it wasn't until it was ordered that I looked again on Ancestry found you need an Intel Processor ..... our computer here does not have one.
                                      Ancestry had that VERY well hidden and OH is positive it didn't say that when he ordered it.

Have kept the FTM as we're planning on a new iMac in a few months so will wait a little longer
                                      ~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

Handy hint for Mac users out there...

There is a product called CrossOver Mac (http://www.codeweavers.com/products/cxmac/ clicky linky) which will allow some Windows programs to operate under Mac OS

I use a sister product (Crossover Linux) as I no longer have Windows (of any flavour) on my laptop..
                                        https://squeakerslair.wordpress.com

Comment

Working...
                                        X