Italian Ancestor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Italian Ancestor

I'm trying to find where Gaetano Marabini came from. He appears getting married to Elizabeth Mack Evans at St James Westminster 12/11/1831 and that's the last thing I can find. They had 2 daughters, Elizabeth and Jane, who is my wife's gggrandmother. Gaetano is shown as a servant on his daughters marriage certificate and there it comes to an end.
    I have found his wife and daughter Jane in the 1851 census but no mention of Gaetano.
    I was told that he came from a well to do family in Italy and was called home when his father died, I'm not so sure of this because of being described as a servant at the time of his daughter's marriage.
    I can't find him entering or leaving the UK but maybe I'm not looking in the right places and how do I find out where he came from in Italy?
    Anyone have any ideas?
    Terry

Not that it's any help re Gaetano's birthplace Terry, but the Family Search pilot site also shows the christening of a Catherine Sarah Marabini 06/06/1832 St James Westminster to the same parents, and her burial 01/02/1833 St James, Westminster.
    Gillian
    User page: http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...ustGillian-117

Comment

Catharine's christening is also on Ancestry. I can't make out Gaetano's occupation but it is not servant.

Gillian

Comment

Hi Gillian,
        Thanks for that, every little bit helps to make up a bigger picture. I wonder why Catherine stays in Westminster all her life while her sister Jane turns up in Devon and then Berkshire? Oh well, maybe one day I'll find out.
        Regards

Comment

there is an Elizabeth Marabini death as well in JAS 1860 in Kensington, though it doesn't give any age
          Julie
          They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Hi Julie,
            Thanks, I have seen that and I'll send off for a cert (via GRO) and see what it says. I also have Elizabeth in 1841 and 1851 census, her age shown as 48, occupation Lady's Maid, so she would be around 57 when she died.

Comment

Hi Gillian,
              I can't find a christening on Ancestry.co, where did you find it?

Comment

Terry - I gave the link to the christening under my post above.

Catherine died before her first birthday.

I take it that is your Jane in the orphans' home in Plymouth in 1851?
                Gillian

Comment

Originally posted by Terry49 View Post
                  I can't find him entering or leaving the UK but maybe I'm not looking in the right places and how do I find out where he came from in Italy?
                  You're not likely to find him on a passenger list, I'm afraid, because as far as I know they were only kept for long voyages (e.g. to/from America or Australia).

Ancestry does have some records of alien arrivals, but there are very few, and he isn't included:

Even if you do find any more, you aren't likely to be able to trace him in Italy unless you can find out which parish he came from, because he was born before civil registration, and records are still kept by the churches (there's hardly anything online).

Comment

The image of the marriage entry is on Ancestry in case you hadn't seen it, and it gives Elizabeth's name as Elizabeth Evans Mack:

The witnesses were two Macks, and the marriage was by licence. If you can get hold of the licence (no idea if or where London licences are available) it may contain more information; it should have Gaetano's age and occupation, but probably not his parents' names, unless he was a minor.

Comment

Originally posted by Just Gillian View Post
                      Terry - I gave the link to the christening under my post above.

Catherine died before her first birthday.

I take it that is your Jane in the orphans' home in Plymouth in 1851?
                      Hi Gillian,
                      Yes, now found it thanks, what a dummy! Yes, Jane is in the orphans home, although a very distant relative of hers thinks she may have been acrually employed there. I did contact the church involved but they weren't very helpful.

Comment

Hi Mary,
                        I've tried the passenger lists and your right-no Gaetano. I spoke to the owner of a local Italian restaurant and he seemed to think that Marabini was a name that came from only one or two regions in Italy, oh well yhe search goes on.
                        Thanks for the link, I'll work on trying to find out what the deatails are.
                        Terry

Comment

It isn't a particularly common name. This site shows the distribution of surnames in Italy, but it's based on the current Italian phone book, I think:

Origine, etimologia, curiosita' sui nomi; diffusione e distribuzione dei cognomi in Italia attraverso mappe colorate e zoom sulle regioni. Ricerche genealogiche, storie di emigranti, documenti per la cittadinanza italiana, folkore, tradizioni e risorse regionali, musica tradizionale, musica e canti popolari, musica delle regioni italiane

Just enter the surname you want to search for in the "Cognome" (surname) box.

Comment

Just checked an Italian site which gives the origins of surnames. It has a couple of entries by different people, which read as follows:

Marabini has one branch between the Bologna and Ravenna areas and one in the Macerata area. It may derive from the place name Cerrè Marabino, in the province of Reggio Emilia.

Marabini is a surname from Veneto, which was originally a nickname; it is a diminutive form of the Veneto dialect word marubio (irritable). Very rare in the Modena area.

Comment

I have been following this thread and had to respond although my sister prob already has. My ggggrandfather was also Gaetano Marabini but all attempts to find out more about him have been frustrating. We all came from George Butcher and Jane Marabini through their daughter Mary Eveline who spent her last years with her daughter Dorothy and family in Saskatchewan. My mother was born Eileen Starling in Reading. Thank you for your efforts.

Comment

Working...
                              X