Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Robert Peel connection to Catlow family

Robert Peel connection to Catlow family

Hello all

There has been people on Ancestry, Rootsweb and other sites trying to make the connection of Sir Robert Peel to the Catlow family. Now my ancestors are the Catlow family from Colne Lancashire and it appears that this is the family in which he connects to.
    I have come across this little bit of information whilst googling away
    "Harvey Hoover, the father of our subject, was born in 1833, and received his education in the schools of Union township, Centre county. In early manhood he engaged in lumbering, but for some years he has followed agricultural pursuits. He married Miss Mary Catlow, a grandniece of Sir Robert Peel"

and also this
    "Mr. Hoover's mother was a daughter of the late Richard Catlow, nephew of Sir Robert Peel"

If anybody can help locate the actual marriage or connection I would be very greatful

Danny
    Last edited by quiffdo; 14-07-10 at 15:50.

It would appear my colour red message has not quite panned out properly for the first bit of information so it's easier to read.

Danny

Im no sure if the Hoover family live in America or whether Robert Peel's sister (by the looks of it) married a Catlow in England.

Danny

Sorted out the red bits in the first post Danny - hope I've highlighted the correct sections.
    Elaine

Thank you very much Elaine, much appreciated.

Danny

I presume you have the biography from where the above extracts have been taken - if not it's here
    http://files.usgwarchives.net/pa/cen...over-grant.txt
    Appears to be a Pennsylvanian family.

It says that Mary Catlow's father was Richard, and I can see a Richard Catlow in the US 1850 census

Richard Catlow 51 - born England - occ Farmer
    Mary Catlow 43 - born England
    David Catlow 19 - born England
    Mary Catlow 14
    Sarah A Catlow 12
    Martha Catlow 9
    William R Catlow 7

living in Huston, Centre, Pennsylvania

... so I would imagine you need to look for a marriage in Pennsylvania, rather than England.
    Elaine

The US 1860 census shows a Harvey Hoover born 1833, living in Union, Centre, Pennsylvania with wife Mary born 1836 and daughter Laura, born 1859.
    If this is the right family then you are looking for a marriage probably somewhere between 1855-1860.
    Elaine

Thank you very much Elaine, not quite sure how to go about searching for a marriage in Pennsylvania but I will give it ago and see what I can turn up.

Danny

"It says that Mary Catlow's father was Richard, and I can see a Richard Catlow in the US 1850 census

Richard Catlow 51 - born England - occ Farmer
    Mary Catlow 43 - born England
    David Catlow 19 - born England
    Mary Catlow 14
    Sarah A Catlow 12
    Martha Catlow 9
    William R Catlow 7

living in Huston, Centre, Pennsylvania

... so I would imagine you need to look for a marriage in Pennsylvania, rather than England.
    "

But if Richard Catlow was Sir Robert's nephew, and was born in England then the Catlow/Peel marriage to prove the link would have taken place in England.

I had a look at Sir Robert Peel's sisters marriages and by the looks of it not one of them married a Catlow so I was a bit stumped as to how Richard could have been his nephew unless of course I have not seen all Robert's siblings?

Danny