Stewart family: 1841 Scotland lookup, please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stewart family: 1841 Scotland lookup, please

Parents: James and Mary (may be listed as Elizth)
    Occ: Spirit Dealer (1851)
    Children include: Jane c1838, John c1834, William c1831 all born Paisley, Renfrewshire

Thanks
    Last edited by LeicestershireLass; 22-06-10, 12:54.
    Don't put off until tomorrow what you can do today ~ follow your dream!

Stewart is an awfully common Scottish name. What are James and mary's d.o.b.s?
    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

I've had a good look through possibles on Ancestry and can't see any likely matches.

Comment

Hi do you know where they lived in 1851? Had a look on Scotlands People but couldn't see anything. Any more info you have stick it on and I will have a look later#

Steven

Comment

Thanks for looking John and Steven ... apologies for lack of info, here's what I have (from 1851 Scotland Census that I printed some time ago when I subscribed to Ancestry);

James b abt 1797 Paisley, Renfrew / Occ: Spirit Dealer / Address: 11 High St, Paisley, Renfr.
          Elizabeth (aka Mary) b1798 Irvine, Ayrshire
          5 children, Janet (31) and Mary (25) + the 3 listed in first post ..All children born Paisley

Comment

Sorry, nothing obvious on Ancestry.

Comment

thanks for looking Uncle John ... wonder where they're hiding?

Comment

Sorry no luck yet either trying all different combinations of the family as on Scotlands People you can search for 2 people to try to narrow it down

Steven

Comment

Could these be the children? Mother - Elizabeth Clark.
                  1. JEAN STEWART - International Genealogical Index
                  Gender: Female Birth: 13 JUL 1837 Abbey (Paisley), Renfrew, Scotland

2. ELIZABETH STEWART - International Genealogical Index
                  Gender: Female Birth: 22 MAR 1833 Abbey (Paisley), Renfrew, Scotland

3. JOHN STEWART - International Genealogical Index
                  Gender: Male Birth: 24 MAR 1835 Abbey (Paisley), Renfrew, Scotland

Katherine

Comment

JANET STEWART Pedigree
                    Female

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Event(s):
                    Birth:
                    Christening: 07 JUN 1818 Abbey (Paisley), Renfrew, Scotland

Death:
                    Burial:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Parents:
                    Father: JAMES STEWART Family
                    Mother: ELISABETH CLERK

Extracted birth or christening record for the locality listed in the record. The source records are usually arranged chronologically by the birth or christening date.

Katherine

Comment

Hi Katherine .... I've only recently started researching this family, so the only children I have noted were from the 1851 census.

Janet's pedigree seems to match, so Jean, Elizabeth and John may also be part of the same family. I think there may have been a daughter Marion too.

Update: I just found James c1820, George c1821 and Marion c1822 with the same parents - James and Elisabeth.

Wonder where they are in 1841? As they seem to have been in Paisley when all children born.

Just popping off to see if I can find James and Elizabeth's marriage.
                      Last edited by LeicestershireLass; 24-06-10, 16:55.

Comment

I think this is their marriage.

ELIZABETH CLEARK Pedigree
                        Female Family

Event(s):
                        Birth:
                        Christening:
                        Death:
                        Burial:

Marriages:
                        Spouse: JAMES STEWART Family
                        Marriage: 03 JUL 1813 Abbey (Paisley), Renfrew, Scotland

Extracted marriage record for locality listed in the record. The source records are usually arranged chronologically by the marriage date.

Katherine

Comment

Here is Marion.
                          MARION STEWART Pedigree
                          Female

Event(s):
                          Birth:
                          Christening: 11 AUG 1822 Abbey (Paisley), Renfrew, Scotland

Death:
                          Burial:

Parents:
                          Father: JAMES STEWART Family
                          Mother: ELISABETH CLERK

Extracted birth or christening record for the locality listed in the record. The source records are usually arranged chronologically by the birth or christening date.

Katherine

Comment

Thanks for your help Katherine .. I'm hoping this info will enable me to backtrack with the family now and find James and Elizabeth's births and deaths and maybe some of the children's marriages.

Comment

It's always worth looking through the Wills on ScotlandsPeople, just in case. The search is free and often there's plenty of description to identify the person without shelling out a fiver for the image. It also tells you what type of document it is and how many pages.

Comment

Found a birth on scotlandspeople for James Stewart b. 1796 Paisley, Renfrew. Parents: Robert Stewart & Marion Lawson.

Found a birth for Robert Stewart b. 1814 to James Stewart & Elizabeth Clark Abbey Paisley, so it looks like their first son was Robert who would probably be names after James' father. Plus Marion who is possibly the second daughter, named after James' mother.

Found a marriage for Robert Stewart & Marion Lawson 1794 Renfrew.(SP)

Hope this helps
                                Katherine
                                Last edited by Katherine; 25-06-10, 17:36.

Comment

A possible birth for Elizabeth Clark, (none found in Irvine)

ELIZABETH CLARK Pedigree
                                  Female

Event(s):
                                  Birth: 16 DEC 1798 Ayr, Ayr, Scotland

Christening:
                                  Death:
                                  Burial:

Parents:
                                  Father: DAVID CLARK Family
                                  Mother: ELIZABETH MCCANDLISH

I found another birth for James & Elizabeth, David b. 1816 Abbey Paisley,(SP) so second son is possibly Elizabeth's father's name if they used the naming pattern.

David's birth on sp has the mother as Bettie Clark.

Katherine

Comment

Thanks again Uncle John and Katherine for your assistance / advice.

Prior to logging on here I had a quick look on FamilySearch IGI and found;

Elizth Clark b 22/05/1795 Irvine, Ayrshire
                                    Father: David Clark ..... Mother: Mary Connell

getting confused now !!

Comment

Just found;

DAVID CLARK
                                      Marriages:
                                      Spouse: MARY MCCONNEL
                                      Marriage: 02 JUN 1794 Irvine, Ayr, Scotland

Comment

Working...
                                      X