Help, Mythen, Liverpool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help, Mythen, Liverpool

I have an Ancestry sub but cannot find Dennis Mythen in the 1901 census and yet when I do a free name searh on Find my Past he appears in the 1901 cenus. Can anyone find him for me please. I would like to know where he came from , occupation and family if possible. He was born 1870 and lived in the Liverpool are and I think his wife was called Mary. Thanks

Transcribed on Ancestry as Dennis Myhren born 1870 Ireland

Elaine

Comment

Bless you again Elaine! Please tell me how you found it and so quick on Ancestry as I have been searching for days!!

Comment

Well you said you could see him on Findmypast as Dennis Mythen born 1870 and living in Liverpool.
        As you can't see him on Ancestry you would expect it's because it has been mistranscribed, and the surname is the first thing to eliminate as that is the bit most likely to be mistranscribed.

So all I put in on Ancestry was
        first name: Dennis
        living in Civil parish: Liverpool
        year of birth: 1870

tick exact matches only

- and this gave me 3 results, one of which was Dennis Myhren
        Elaine

Comment

I never thought of doing it like that. Thank you.

Comment

Yes, if you cannot find something and suspect a mistranscription, start taking out bits of information, particularly surnames.
            Or use wild cards, for example if you are searching for Anne, I would always suggest you use a wildcard (asterisk) - an asterisk means that it could represent any letters, or none.
            For example Ann* would pick up Ann / Anne / Anna / Annie etc.
            Do the same with surnames - e.g. Thom*son - would pick up Thompson / Thomson.
            Elaine

Comment

And the old favourite of a mistranscribed initial T, F, S or L, which all look similar in 19th century script. *ydiard would now find my ancestor Mr Lydiard, who is wrong in the GRO index.
              Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Thank you.

Comment

Working...
                X