Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pickhills family

You appear to have a few jigsaw pieces from possibly several different clusters of Pickhills - in the fullness of time, the clusters may all turn out to be part of the same big picture. OR maybe NOT!
    The link could be several generations back from where you are now with your own line.

I had a similar conundrum 20+ years ago in Norfolk, with my own surname, which is fairly unusual. I concentrated on my own direct line, but kept ALL other references for the name in a separate file. I worked on these additional clusters at the same time, building up families and plotting trees. Eventually some of the clusters DID connect with my ever expanding extended family, but some of them, as yet, do NOT, even though they lived in a village very near to where my family members lived.

IGI (although very useful) only carries a minority percentage of baptisms & marriages, as do most other internet sites. (For every one you find, there are more that you don't know about!)
    So I would advise you to keep on digging into all the separate clusters of the Pickhill name, but not to be in too much of a hurry to try and link them all together at this point.
    Happy hunting.

Jay
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Thanks again Jay, especially for the encouragement. Sometimes you feel like going back in time, giving all your relatives a good shake and say to them "in 150 years time I'm going to be tracking this - make it a bit easier will you", though I am really aware of what you mean about patience, and just plodding along. My family were absolutely hopeless with anything to do with their family, and even home here I didn't think i was going to find much - then all of a sudden, by sheer fluke, I should point out (I was just poking around with some search engine links) a plethora of information literally poured out. Turns out we were quite an important pioneering family in the Bourke region of NSW, and also in South Australia, including my great uncle, a steamer captain, being interviewed for several books about the river traffic and river trade in Australia. I just have reams and reams of info on this great uncle now, which i would have missed if I wasn't such a sticky beak with search engine results. My family knew nothing about this, so it was quite a coup. The good thing about searching in Australia is that I only have 250 years of records to troll through - Britain has many many more years than that. Sometimes it is just a matter of waiting for more info to be uploaded to the net. It will all get there eventually. I've set up a database for the loose people, and grouped those I know are together. The family history groups here have been a great help, and I've encountered the same in England - more info was just emailed to me from the Lincoln fhs. I've been working on this for a long time now, and so thankful for the internet.

Oh - can I ask one question - are places like Lancaster and Lancashire the same? Is the 'shire' just a more formal term? You have different ways of dividing places up to us, and the terminology can be a bit confusing. I was putting in "Lancashire" in my family tree for members from Liverpool, but then noticed that some records were coming through just marked Lancaster.
    regards
    Tim

Perhaps the question I should be asking is - where to from here. Seeing as most of the loose threads come from Yorkshire, that would perhaps be the best place to concentrate efforts - where are the best places to track down obscure persons in Yorkshire? Do many of the small villages have archives, or do they go to one central point? Also, are there any fhs in these towns/villages. I am fairly sure that Joseph and Grace are Rickinson's mother and father, and that James is PERHAPS his brother, living with his wife Priscilla in Halifax. How successful would a hunt in Halifax be, and what would be the best places there to conduct searches? If we go by the IGI record, he was christened in Bradford - so probably born there. I will order a copy of the Rickinson Pickles death certificate from GRO, which might at least fill in the details for that. If Joseph & Grace are parents of Rickinson, then they have another daughter Grace christened in Kildwick. It is also possible that Mary is another daughter, but to another wife of Joseph's, and she was also christened in Kildwick. My assumption would be that they were both born in Kildwick. There is 7 years between them, so it is possible that Joseph lost one wife, and remarried. I know from contact with someone else in England that her relative from the same period married 4 times, so it appears to be not unusual. I know that a lot people died from illnesses. Is this making sense, or am I way off beam?
    Tim

Blog Entries
    You may find it useful to explore the links on the Yorkshire page in our Reference Library.

Caroline
    Caroline's Family History Pages
    Do not do to others what angers you if done to you by others. Socrates

Lancaster is a town, Lancashire is a county. (Lancashire is a contraction of the ancient Lancastershire. You sometimes still see the spelling Lancastershire on official documents, such as bmd certificates).

So you could be born in the town of Lancaster, in the county of Lancashire. The standard modern abbreviation for Lancashire is now Lancs, so you would be born in Lancaster, Lancs.

Hope this helps.

OC

Hi Tim,
    Yorkshire is a large county, with several record offices.

In your quest to follow up some of your Yorkshire clues, you may find the "Where is it in Yorkshire?" section on the following link useful.
    http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/YKS/
    Clicking on the name of a place in the index takes you to a new screen and amongst the information given about the place is information about places of worship & parish records.

Also Streetmap will help you to find the location of places and allow you to see how near (or not) they are to each other.
    http://www.streetmap.co.uk/

If you have a query about a specific Pickhills individual or family group, then post full details of that person and I'm sure members will try to help you if they can - IF the information is out there (and sometimes it isn't, unfortunately.)

Jay
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Just a thought, but do you have an LDS family history centre near you? If so, you can hire films of the relevant parish registers to view at the centre. It sounds as if you are at the stage where you need to construct mini trees from parish records, to sort out who is related to whom.

OC

I'll check that out today. Thanks caroline.

Thanks OC. That's made it a lot clearer.

Thanks again Jay - I'll check the links out today Also setting up a separate file in my Mac Family Tree for all the threads. The maps will be useful - as certificates have arrived, and I get the actual streets where events happened, I've been using Google Maps to have a look (Street View is great to have a look at places). The thing I really love about Britain is that so many of the old streets are still there - with the original houses, and it is like putting yourself in the picture seeing the actual address of a relative that lived there maybe 150 years ago or more.
    Have received links from Lincoln and Nottinghamshire to get documents from the archives - I checked on a counties map, and now realise that the counties sort of border Yorkshire, which doesn't make the records seem so strange. I realise that all the records I need to link people probably aren't goiing to be available. I have found a large collection of Yorkshire links also at Genuki - there is a Yorkshire England GenWeb Project section there, also what looks to be an interesting society in Kildwick who seem to not mind doing searches, so I will email them today and see what they can find.
    Tim