Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Glass engraved Sr A Vosper 1891-who is he?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glass engraved Sr A Vosper 1891-who is he?

IMGP2891..jpgI bought a pretty glass at an antique fair in York yesterday. It can't be of much value as I only paid £3 for it but I would love to find out who it belonged to. It is engraved Sr A Vosper 1891.
    Can anyone help?

Could Sr be Senor Vosper perhaps??

Comment

Yes but wouldn,t that come after his name? I wondered if it was short for Sir? I am just having difficulty fing any A Vospers.

Comment

Have you tried googling the name and date?

Comment

Found nothing

Comment

Found this_Vosper & Company, often referred to simply as Vospers, was a British shipbuilding company based in Portsmouth, England. The Company was established in 1871 by Herbert Edward Vosper.
            but no mention of Sr A Vosper

Comment

Is there any chance that "Sr" could be "Fr"? - that would suggest a Roman Catholic or Anglo-Catholic priest.

Or could "Sr" be "St"? - so that it's someone with a saintly Christian name - on the same lines as "St John" but, presumably, "St Anthony" or "St Ambrose" or something.

Or could "Sr" be "Sl", short for Samuel? - or some similar abbreviation idea?

I did have a quick trawl of Vosper males in the 1891 census, but didn't spot anything of very high probability. I think the most likely was a Devon-born London solicitor, but I'd have to go back and look again to tell you which. (There aren't huge numbers of names).

Christine
              Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Expanding Christine's theme - Seigneur (Sr) or Soeur (Sr), both with religious connotations.

Vosper is a name which is fairly common here in Cornwall.

OC

Comment

Sr could also stand for Sister as in a nun rather than a man whose name is engraved on the vase! Most nuns I knew were known as Sr whatever the name. Could have been given to her for a specific reason, intriguing to find out who she is! Try a convent somewhere in 1891.

Janet
                  Last edited by Janet; 28-03-10, 16:08.

Comment

How do I find convents in 1891? Will try to take a better photo so you can see name.

Comment

IMGP2901..jpgIMGP2902..jpgIMGP2903..jpgThe glass is only small -size of sherry glass

Comment

Tricky, as many nuns did not use their own names at this time but mainly had professed names like Sr Paula, Sr Marie Therese, Sr Mary etc. However, this does sound like a real name so try A Vosper on 1891 Census and see what turns up. Leave out the sister part. It is not such a common name though finding the engraved glass in York does not necessarily mean trhat the person came from York but there was/is the Bar Convent in York and worth a try.

Janet

Comment

I have found Mr A Vosper on incoming passenger list to Liverpool from Columbia in 1913. He was a 1st class pasenger with his wife and son. He was an engineer. What do you think? Could this be senor Vosper?

Comment

Just a note that if someone went into a monastery or convent their baptismal name was changed to a saint's name. I understood from friends that RC children, at least in the past were given saints names as one of their forenames.
                            Ayse

Comment

Hi - could the name be Vasper not Vosper?

Comment

Possibly, would the o shape have a stick on side though. Will try Vasper and see how I get on.

Comment

Just thought I'd mention that one of my husband's relatives married a Louisa Blanche Vosper in Islington around 1900, although I know that most of her family were from Devon or Cornwall, she was born in Saltash. Can't help you with Sr A Vosper, her father was James. Good luck with the search.
                                  :D Carolyn

Comment

Thanks - I seem to have hit a brick wall!

Comment

found a reference to Vesper at

over halfway down page under elegant glassware

jayne
                                      Jayne

My avatar is great great granny Annie Pugh, possibly christened 24 Feb 1858.

Comment

Hmm, looking hard at the glass, could it actually say "S & A Vosper" do you think?

The engraving is very poor quality considering the date and I wonder if these were glasses used by a business for their functions?

OC

Comment

Working...
                                        X