Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Calling all Cohens.....New Thread Please Post Here.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wrechtsman View Post
    From what I recall, there is Hebrew on the stone. I think the name of cemetary is Dawes or Lambton Road. I just know how to get there...I forget the exact name. They did remain married, Sam passed away at a young age (still uncertain of death year and date). OMG....how could they be in the SAME PLOT. Isn't that sacriligious?
    Hi - by same, next to each other! ;D - or it falls under the same plot location.
    Saying that, some people are buried together in the same grave depending on religion, space in the cemetery etc etc
    Is it in Toronto?

Comment

Yes, in Toronto.

Comment

Is this it? http://www.interment.net/data/canada...gh/dawesrd.htm

Comment

YES...that's the one. I think Lewis Myers was buried in Lambton. Bedtime here in T.O....talk in the am.

Comment

Hi - when you get a chance, it will be worthwhile to e mail or call both cemeteries to find out everyone's full Hebrew names and who arranged the burials. Here's a few sites;-

If you have roots in Toronto, this story talks about the area's 11 Jewish cemeteries . Today, the community is about 200,000 strong. There ...

Comment

Hi...will do. I suspect they'll be closing early or closed altogether in the next few days.
              w.

Comment

Been looking again at the marriage info for Sam Cohen - tailor, Russia, son of 'Morrice' Cohen and Sarah Rebecca E*****berg...
                a witness was David Solomon - have you come across his name before?
                They married in Montreal, Quebec, 4th January 1914...info from the Beth David register (this could be the synagogue http://www.tbdj.org/content.asp?node=21)

As the 'E' surname is not clear, and not easy to put on here, if anyone would like to have a go at deciphering, can you pm myself or Wendi so we can send it through. Thanks.

Comment

The only place I've seen the name David Solomon was on that register. I've just finished reading the blurb about Beth David...highly likely that's the one they were married in. I was also checking Ancestry.ca today under the name Sarah Rebecca Eisenberg (d)...nothing came through. That name E......berg is bugging me. Why didn't they write properly on a MC? Dah!!!

Comment

ps. thanks again for persisting on this. w.

Comment

Originally posted by wrechtsman View Post
                      ps. thanks again for persisting on this. w.
                      Not a prob. I've just replied to the Myer post about the surname of Cohen - which I suppose shoud be on this topic as well....but you'll get the gist!
                      I'll paste the relevant info here.

Comment

"My father who died when I was a year old was Max. We named our first son after him M. We were also told we were Cohanim. I always thought it was the family's wishful thinking with no credible evidence. Interesting though, because I am a Katz on my mother's side (which I'm told could be Cohanim as well). There is another M (female, still alive) on the Cohen side, named after my great-grandmother. Any thoughts about that?"

Hi Wendi - Yes, Katz can also be a 'Cohen'...not always...but a good possibility.
                        With the names, e.g named after your ggm....yes, there will be a link. Assuming both sides are Ashkenazi, children were often named after a deceased closed relative...and these names help to go back in time. Sometimes they received the actual name e.g Morris was named after his grandfather also called Morris, sometimes from a Hebrew name...so perhaps Morris the elder - Hebrew name of Mordechai - could have a grandson called Michael with a Hebrew name of Mordechai - and they therefore have followed using the 'M' initial and the same Hebrew name.
                        This has lots of info about naming patterns, and a slide show as well
                        http://www.jewishgen.org/infofiles/GivenNames/ and this is also a good site http://www.jewfaq.org/jnames.htm
                        If you look at the names of the children, they should match the names of relatives that have passed away, usually based on grandparents, great grandparents and aunties and uncles.
                        With Sekkundy...IF they were Sephardim...different ball game....they name after the living.

Bit more on 'Cohen's' -
                        "Although the name "Cohen" and similar surnames derive from the word kohen in the sense of a Jewish priest and many kohanim do have this family name, there are also many families with the surname Cohen who are not kohanim. Conversely, there are many kohanim who do not have Cohen as a surname"
                        "English: Cohen, Cahn, Conn, Conway, Cohan, Chaplan (Cohan is also an Irish surname and Conway is also a surname of Welsh origin)
                        German: Kohn, Kuhn, Kahn, Cön/Coen, Katz (name) (a Hebrew abbreviation for Kohen Zedek (כהן צדק) that is, "righteous Kohen" or "righteous priest")
                        Dutch: Cohen, Conklin, Kon, Katten (translated as "Kohen"), Käin/Kaein
                        French: Cahen, Cohen, Caen
                        Italian: Coen, Sacerdote, Sacerdoti (Italian for "priest")
                        Spanish: Coen, Cohen, Koen, Cannoh, Canno, Canoh, Cano
                        Russian: Kogan, Kagen, Kagedan
                        Serbian: Koen, Kon, Kojen
                        Polish: Kaplan (loanword into Polish for "priest")'
                        Portuguese: Cunha
                        Turkish: Kohen
                        Arabic: al-Kohen
                        Ancient/Modern Hebrew: Kohen, Hakohen, ben-Kohen, bar-Kohen"
                        Last edited by naomiatt; 26-03-10, 22:53.

Comment

With Sam and Fanny Cohen's children - you mentioned five - bar your aunt, are the others alive? and do you know if Sam's parents, Morrice/Morris/Maurice Cohen and Sarah Rebecca E, also came to Canada?

Comment

Karen S - thanks Karen! - has had a look at the marriage cert for Sam and Fanny - and sees E****berg as - Ehrenberg, Ersenberg or Eranberg.

Comment

If Sam Cohen had nine brothers....and his parents were Morrice/Morris/Maurice Cohen and Sarah Rebecca...this is a big ask, but can anyone see a Cohen family that would connect to 10 x sons?

Wendi, does your aunt know if any of these brothers came to Canada? - or their parents?

Comment

These were the brothers that dropped off the map. So did the parents. My sense is that they all stayed in Leeds and perhaps might have emigrated elsewhere. There were rumours of Australia and South Africa. If we can find the names of those brothers with any matching names of the parents, we might be able to find immigration records of those brothers. I have no names; not even a clue. We can also check under the name Cantor.

Comment

There is a 1940 marriage in Leeds with those surnames...have sent it to you direct...they married at
                                  Louis Street Synagogue.

A Morris Cohen passed away in Leeds North, 1877
                                  Last edited by naomiatt; 27-03-10, 03:23.

Comment

Can find no Cohen family with only sons in a large family.

There is a Morris and Rebecca Cohen in Leeds in 1901, but the names of children are Philip, Hyman, Isreal, Pinkie, Polly, Cellia and finally Harris.

Just double checked and all the children are born in Leeds, so not this family.
                                    Karen

Comment

Thanks for picking up the ball on that Karen. I also saw the Morris and Rebecca Cohen family and dismissed it. No name match.

Comment

Originally posted by Karen S View Post
                                        Can find no Cohen family with only sons in a large family.

There is a Morris and Rebecca Cohen in Leeds in 1901, but the names of children are Philip, Hyman, Isreal, Pinkie, Polly, Cellia and finally Harris.

Just double checked and all the children are born in Leeds, so not this family.
                                        Their mine Karen... well, that's the Morris Cohen who's M.C I have, he was one of the witnesses to Louis & Rachel's marriage & according to the 1891 census, he lived at 50, Copenhagen St, next door to where Louis lived at Nº 52, before he married.

W

PS. His wife was Becca Bromberg on M.C. They married in 1885 when they were both 21 & they both signed their names on the cert. 1891 census says they were from Germany but later they changed to Russian/Poland forget which.

PPS. I keep thinking these Cohen's who where older & could write might be the key to knit Louis with Rebecca Cohen after Rachel died. We thought that Bromberg might be Wendi's Sarah Rebecca ****berg, but it looks like she was another berg.
                                        Last edited by Wallaby; 27-03-10, 14:50.
                                        We should never forget them,
                                        Because we would not be here today, but for them.
                                        We should be proud, reflect, respect and always remember them.
                                        Because we all have them…
                                        Them… were our Ancestors.

Comment

Hi - I don't think we've found departure or arrival info for Sam Cohen - bearing in mind he might have gone to the US first...any idea of his approx d.o.b?

We know that he married in Quebec on 4th January 1914...so he had to be in Montreal by then..
                                          His sons were Max, Bernard and Saul..it sounds like Max was named after Sam's father...
                                          so perhaps Morris wasn't alive when Max was born....

Also, I know this is also a hard one...can anyone see a Morris/Morrice/Maurice and Sarah Rebecca Cohen with a son called Sam.....and any other siblings...boys or girls...in Leeds...assuming he was at least 18 when he married....so born 1896 backwards....the only key at the moment seems to be Back Byron Street...
                                          His burial info should give an age...the cemeteries will be closed at the moment because of Pesach/Passover.

(Did the Cohen & Cantor marriage ring bells to your Aunt, Wendi?)
                                          Last edited by naomiatt; 28-03-10, 04:18.

Comment

Working...
                                          X