Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calling All Myers From Leeds....Cohen from Canada needs Help

Hello Everyone!
    I hear there's a community in cyber-space that is warm, friendly, inviting and last but not least....very helpful. I just joined the FTF site and after a few blundering starts, I'll begin again. Many many thanks from 2 experienced FTF members who have steered me in this direction....The Think Tank. It's all very exciting for me to have a community out there who is interested in researching family. I've been galloping along my own merry way and probably missing many opportunities to find missing relatives (most of which are deceased). The ones that are alive, I'm well aware of and in touch with. However, since I'm the only one trying to dig deeper, I'm asking for a little support from a wider community. There are many things that I've found problematic in much of the research I've done. The name "Cohen" is a common one. The name has been fairly stable (I think) without any changes that I'm aware of. Their first names are also very common. That's also been a huge stumbling block. If that wasn't enough of a hurdle, my maternal grandmother's name is also common...Myers. First names are also common. I never quite know if the hits I'm getting on ancestry.ca are family. Dates become a necessity. These are the facts I do have that I believe to be accurate.
    The Cohen/Myers families came from Leeds
    My grandfather's name was Samuel (Sam) Cohen (died 1936 or 9)
    Sam had numerous brothers and maybe a sister (no names known)
    My Grandmother's name was Fanny (Fannie) Myers/Cohen (died 1961)
    She had 4 sisters and 1 brother (all deceased, dates unknown)
    Their names were Beatrice, Sarah, Edith, Rachel and Cecil (Sisel)
    Fanny's parents (both deceased) were I believe Lewis Myers and Betsy Myers Hasrras or Harris.
    All were tailors.
    Lewis (Louis) Myers (d) and Betsy Myers parents were (I think) Benjamin Myers and Sarah Kates
    They seemed to come from Russia.
    Samuel Cohen (d. 1939) parents were Morrice (or Morris) and Sarah Rebecca Erenberg (Eisenberg or something "berg").....I have Samuel and Fannie's MC.
    There's a big Canadian connection to all of these people, who are all now deceased. There may be an Australian and South African connection to Samuel Cohens brothers/sister (who have disappeared).
    That's about most of the info. I've got. Once again, I'm thrilled to be part of this community and my warm thanks and appreciation to the two warm-hearted members, who have brought me this far. Looking forward to hearing from anyone who can help, give advice or cheer me on.
    warm regards,
    Wendi from Canada

Welcome to FTF, Wendi

The Think Tank is where we come up with new ideas to develop the site, so I'm moving this thread to Research Qs&As, where you'll have more luck getting a response - not just from FTF members, but from anyone searching for these names on a search engine such as Google...

Comment

Thanks so much Velma! Being new I had no idea. Appreciate the move and hope Research Q and A will hit a wider audience and some responses.

Comment

Welcome to FTF, Wendi!

The name "Cohen" is a common one. The name has been fairly stable (I think) without any changes that I'm aware of.
        I'm not quite sure what you mean by "stable". If you mean that you can rely on searching for "COHEN" without looking for variants, then I think you're likely to miss a lot of potentially useful hits. I've seen lots of versions of the name, apart from mistranscriptions (better not go there!)...
        COEN, COHN, K... COWEN, COWAN. And you can tell it's the same people because there are so many matching attributes: first names, ages, addresses, occupations. - and that's before the deliberate obfuscation of people altering their names in order not to appear too different from their neighbours (too Jewish/German/Russian/foreign...)

There are several people here with experience of researching Jewish names... Have you joined JewishGen, for instance?

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Hi Wendi - Do you have burial info for any of your Cohen's and Myer's or any Hebrew MA's?

I'm in contact with people who have the Myer/Meyer name in Aus. As for Cohen, not easy is it! One of my side are Cohanim.
          The surname, amongst 15 variants so far, has also shown as Chorgan...and I wondered if this was itself a variation of Cohen using the 'Ch' sound.
          I also have Cohen's who went to Canada from a different side of the family.
          They were in the East End of London and I'm not aware that they lived in the North of England.

Searching;BRESNARK,CHERNOSKY,CHORGAN,
          DAVIDOVITCH,DOMANIS,GOLDWITZ,GREENBERG,
          HARYUDAH,HIATT,HUNT,LEBIS,OGIN,ORGIN,
          POLIAKOFF,RABIN,RABINOVITCH,RANDALL,
          RESNICK,RUBINSTEIN,TISMAN,TISHMAN,WILSON,WOLFSON
          Last edited by naomiatt; 23-03-10, 20:46.

Comment

Hi Wendi & welcome to FTF,

Everyone.... Wendi replied to a message I left on JGFF re; my elusive Cohen's & I suggested she joined us on FTF as we both at least have Cohen's in Leeds & possible Liverpool too & I know there are a few members on FTF looking for Cohen's. Maybe we should go out with a big fishing net a gather all the Cohen's seekers together so we can all do the same jigsaw puzzle.

Wallaby
            We should never forget them,
            Because we would not be here today, but for them.
            We should be proud, reflect, respect and always remember them.
            Because we all have them…
            Them… were our Ancestors.

Comment

Originally posted by Wallaby View Post
              Hi Wendi & welcome to FTF,

Everyone.... Wendi replied to a message I left on JGFF re; my elusive Cohen's & I suggested she joined us on FTF as we both at least have Cohen's in Leeds & possible Liverpool too & I know there are a few members on FTF looking for Cohen's. Maybe we should go out with a big fishing net a gather all the Cohen's seekers together so we can all do the same jigsaw puzzle.

Wallaby
              What was the name again................:D;)..Oh, i remember...COHEN !

Hello and Welcome Wendi....nice to "meet" you..
              Jacky

Comment

Welcome to the site Wendi and lests hope we can sort both yours and Wallabys problems
                borobabs passed away March 2018

Comment

Thanks so much Christine. It never occurred to me to look for a variation....dumb me! What I meant by "stable" was that all information I have gathered about the family name for the last 60 years has been Cohen. Except for an uncle (since deceased) who actually did change his name to Cowan (not to appear Jewish). That change was done in the 50's. Yes, I am a member of Jewish Gen and have been for years. Nothing has emerged. However, I'll begin looking for those variations. Many thanks for that and for your welcome.
                  Wendi

Comment

Hi Naomiatt,
                    I have no burial info. for any Cohens in Leeds. Some of them came to Canada when Fannie and Samuel Cohen married. Some of them stayed in the UK. My grandmother's maiden name was Myers not Myer and that name appears on the records I do have. I will however check some variations on both names as the thought never occurred to me to do otherwise. It's a daunting quest with both names. That's for sure. I see on your list you are searching for names I'm also familiar with....Greenberg and Tishman. In fact, my great Aunt Rae (deceased 1959) who was a "Myers" married a Greenberg. Anyway, thanks again and if you want to ask any more questions of my connections...ask away.
                    Wendi

Comment

thanks for the welcome! HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by wrechtsman View Post
                        Hi Naomiatt,
                        I have no burial info. for any Cohens in Leeds. Some of them came to Canada when Fannie and Samuel Cohen married. Some of them stayed in the UK. My grandmother's maiden name was Myers not Myer and that name appears on the records I do have. I will however check some variations on both names as the thought never occurred to me to do otherwise. It's a daunting quest with both names. That's for sure. I see on your list you are searching for names I'm also familiar with....Greenberg and Tishman. In fact, my great Aunt Rae (deceased 1959) who was a "Myers" married a Greenberg. Anyway, thanks again and if you want to ask any more questions of my connections...ask away.
                        Wendi
                        I've put *** by my questions -

Samuel (Sam) Cohen (died 1936 or 9) - **when was he born??
                        Sam had numerous brothers and maybe a sister (no names known) - **how did you get that info?
                        Grandmother's name was Fanny (Fannie) Myers/Cohen (died 1961)
                        She had 4 sisters and 1 brother (all deceased, dates unknown) - ***ditto
                        Their names were Beatrice, Sarah, Edith, Rachel and Cecil (Sisel) - ****do you know who they married...was this in Leeds or Liverpool etc
                        Fanny's parents (both deceased) were I believe Lewis Myers and Betsy Myers Hasrras or Harris - ***did they come to the UK?
                        All were tailors.
                        Lewis (Louis) Myers (d) and Betsy Myers parents were (I think) Benjamin Myers and Sarah Kates - ****did they come to the UK?
                        Samuel Cohen (d. 1939) parents were Morrice (or Morris) and Sarah Rebecca Erenberg (Eisenberg or something "berg").....I have Samuel and Fannie's MC - ****do you also have the Hebrew Marriage Authorisation? ****Who were the witnesses? ***When and where did they marry?
                        *****Do you have any census info relating to these families?
                        **Do you have information of the arrival to Canada? **Have you found any of them leaving the UK?

With the surnames, as Christine mentioned, there can be so many variations..so you have to look at other options and not just the mainstay spellings.

With the Tisman/Tishman's..my ggf's sister married a Greenberg in the US...one of their sons, Albert (d.) owned the Supreme Brooklyn Pet Shop
                        Emporium..if you google that name, a link will come up with a photo of Albert and his 2nd wife...
                        Albert's brother was Walter (d). I 'think' the parents were Hattie and Bernard.
                        On the Cohen to Canada side...my gf's sister, also Tisman/Tishman, married a Cohen and went to Canada..one of the daughters also married a
                        Cohen.
                        Last edited by naomiatt; 23-03-10, 23:48.

Comment

I don't have a Jewish connection directly in my own tree - or not yet, anyway! - but my alternative footer may explain my interest here...

Christine

~~~~~~~
                          In this context, researching: FRIEDMAN/FREEMAN (England, NSW Australia, Pikallin in Lithuania), MARKS (England, VIC & NSW Australia, NZ, Himbach-Limeshain in Germany) STORCH (Himbach-Limeshain in Germany), COHEN, JACOBS JONES, BENJAMIN, GOLDSMID (London, England), & GOLDBERG (Lithuania)
                          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Hi again - been thinking..it's probably easier to look at each family first - so, with the Myers..presume they stayed in Leeds??
                            I don't know if you have any marriages for Beatrice, Sarah, Edith, Rachel and Cecil (Sisel) or what ages we're looking at...
                            but, for example..there is this for an Edith -
                            Marriages Dec 1914
                            Marsden Donald F Myers Leeds 9b 592
                            Myers Edith Marsden Leeds 9b 592
                            this for a Cecil -
                            Marriages Jun 1921
                            Myers Cecil H Ward Leeds 9b 652
                            Ward Lily Myers Leeds 9b 652
                            This for a Sarah -
                            Marriages Dec 1919
                            Myers Sarah Flaxman Leeds 9b 1152
                            etc etc........

Not sure when the family got to the UK...there is this death record -
                            Deaths Mar 1841
                            MYERS Sarah Kaye Liverpool 20 240
                            could be a coincidence, or Fanny's grandmother..
                            Last edited by naomiatt; 24-03-10, 02:53.

Comment

There is a border crossing from Canada to Buffalo, Ny in 1928 for a Cecil Myers born in Leeds with a father Louis living in Toronto. It lists his age as 23.
                              Karen

Comment

Wendi

As I am still not quite sure what you know as fact and what you are still struggling with, can you do us a time line for each family (the Cohens and the Myers) and then perhaps we can give you some practical help.

Do you have a family tree programme, or a public tree on the internet?

OC

Comment

Thanks so much Naomiatt. VERY much appreciated. What I now will do, given your suggestions and the facts that I'm certain of, get everything written down and out there with dates, so you can see. None of the above unfortunately "rings any bells" I do have some info. on Beatrice, Sarah, Edith Rachel and Cecil (Sisel) and I will post those as well. Most of them left Leeds and came to Canada and the U.S. You've done a lot of look ups on my behalf. I've never had anyone interested or willing to work like this before. Thank you thank you. Watch for the info. post...coming to your nearest Family Tree Forum.

Comment

Karen S....you are an angel. That's our Cecil Myers. The dates fit and that's him! YIPEEEEEEEE!!!! I completely missed him on ancestry.ca. Thanks so much.

Comment

Olde Crone (if I may be so bold).....You are the first person in the last 10 years to even ask what I'm struggling with. I'm the lone wolf in the family trying to put a tree together to pass on to our family. They enjoy the results, but no one is willing to push through barriers and do the work. I do not have a family tree programme, or a public tree on the internet. I suppose that's next and I will do it. My family tree is on a big piece of bristol board that I drag around from computer to computer, from upstairs to downstairs and back up again. It's got frayed edges. Anyhow, enough of that....here's what I've got....with a big wildcard at tne end of it all. My struggles will appear with question marks.

Myers Family First
                                      Martha Harris (Harras, Harrsas) (b.1810) (d. ?)
                                      Martha's Children (Betsy Myers, b. 1872 or 8) Lillian Myers b. 1889 d? Lillian married Ed (Stern?) in New York.
                                      There is a Kiev, Kieff connection. Russia is sometimes mentioned on some certificates.
                                      Betsy Harris Harras Harrsas Myers married Lewis (Louis Lewis Myers b. 1871, Died January 12, 1933, Lambton Cemetary 1933, Toronto)
                                      Both were tailors, tailoresses
                                      Lewis and Betsy had 5 children:
                                      Fannie or Fanny (b. 1892 d. 1961) Beatrice (b. 1897 married Joe Berger???, 1 son Martin (d 2006), Sarah (b.1895 married Moshe, died of heart attack???) Edith (Married to Mo, daughter Martha Roslyn, died a week before her wedding)
                                      Rachel (Rae) Myers married Louis Greenberg (d?) had 1 son MG.
                                      Cecil (Sisel) b. 1904, July 11 D.???) married to Francis (d. car accident) lived in U.S.
                                      All of the above lived in Leeds (as far as I know) and came over by boat from Liverpool to Montreal.
                                      My goal in the above Myers family is to go back further than Martha Harris (Harrsas) and fill in some dates and gaping holes in marriages, births, deaths. Here's the big wildcard in the Myers family. There's been numerous rumours of the SECUNDA name. My grandmother Fannie often mentioned a Spanish connection...Jews tossed out of Spain during The Inquisition. I've had absolutely no luck finding anything there, and I've reserached and looked. I've written YIVO in New York and although finding a SECUNDA, have not been able to make what I believe to be a solid connection there. Although who knows ???????
                                      Ok...so the Cohen Family Next
                                      Fannie Myers Cohen (d) married Sam (Samuel Cohen d. 1933 or 9???...buried in Toronto)
                                      Sam's Parents were Morris (Morrice) Cohen (b. 1853) and Sarah Rebecca (Erenberg....?berg...b. 1851)
                                      They were all from Russia ?????
                                      Fannie (b. 1892) and Sam were married in 1914 in Montreal (have MC) Fannie came over on the Corsican from Liverpool (have document from Pier 21)
                                      They had 5 Children....Max, my father (d. 1950) Bernie (d. 2008) B, M, and Saul (d. 2007)
                                      So as you can see I know much more about the MYERS Family than the COHEN Family.
                                      I am a Cohen by birth and my father passed away when I was 1 years old. Perhaps, that's why I've been so driven to make family connections, put family rumours to rest and get the facts out to my broader family before the older members are no longer with us. Time is passing quickly these days and I'm well aware of the wealth of information that's with them and the stories left untold. Thanks OCH...whatever you can find or anyone else can find in Leeds or elsewhere I would be eternally thankful.
                                      Wendi

Comment

In answer to some your questions.....I'll do my best.
                                        I do not know the year Sam Cohen was born
                                        There is only a rumour about Sam having 9 brothers and perhaps 1 sister. No factual info.
                                        Check the long note I wrote to OCH....that should explain some things.
                                        Most came to Canada, via Liverpool, lived in Leeds...my assumption is the boat left from Liverpool
                                        I do have the Hebrew Marriage Authorization (only for Fannie and Samuel)
                                        No census information on anyone.
                                        Fannie arrived on the Corscian from Liverpool in 1912.
                                        thanks so much,
                                        Wendi

Comment

Working...
                                        X