No announcement yet.

Calling All Myers From Leeds....Cohen from Canada needs Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looks like you've got customer #1 for your book. Or there may be a waiting list! Great photo. w.

Comment

• Originally posted by wrechtsman View Post
      Looks like you've got customer #1 for your book. Or there may be a waiting list! Great photo. w.
      It's a good website for people with family ho passed thru Leeds. There will be loads more photos & you will find comments from people who had family living there (a few of my comments on there too) for Byron St & Copenhagen St. If you get lost, go back tot eh home page & put "Leylands" in search box.

W

PS This photo in Bridge St, is of M Cohen family Grocer

Last edited by Wallaby; 25-03-10, 14:07.
      We should never forget them,
      Because we would not be here today, but for them.
      We should be proud, reflect, respect and always remember them.
      Because we all have them…
      Them… were our Ancestors.

Comment

• You won't believe this!

I've been looking thru all the comment on that Leeds Website & found this one:-

(I can't put the mans name on here as he's probably still alive) But, I thing he's related to the Rosenblum family as his name is cropped down from that.

Nº 52 Copenhagen St was where Louis was living before he married Rachel in 1891.

D. R.
        Comment: My great-grandfather David Rosenblum was living at 52 Copenhagen Street in 1901.
        Email: Not displayed

PS here is the link to the comments. I've left a message for him on the site.

Last edited by Wallaby; 25-03-10, 14:49.

Comment

• Whatever do you make of this? Elaborate. Amazing coincidence or????

Comment

• 52 Copenhagen street 1891 census

David Rosenbloom bn circa 1856 married to Rebecca who were both born in Russia Slipper Maker. Also there in 1891 census with a Charlie Cohen bn 1870 Rissua as Lodger
            WendyP

Comment

• Is this anything to do with your Myers Wendi ?

Comment

• Originally posted by WendyP View Post
                52 Copenhagen street 1891 census

David Rosenbloom bn circa 1856 married to Rebecca who were both born in Russia Slipper Maker. Also there in 1891 census with a Charlie Cohen bn 1870 Rissua as Lodger
                No way of being sure if the Rosenblooms were living at 52, when Louis was there, but it's likely. Sorry Wendi I'm taking over your thread.

Thanks Wendy

W

Comment

• Great try, but I don't think so. #1 it's 1974, so highly questionable and #2 It's a W Myers. I wonder if it's still around today.

Comment

• No problem at all. The links and puzzles continue. Is there any way of finding out if the Rosenblooms and Freedmans were living there at the same time?

Comment

• Originally posted by wrechtsman View Post
                      No problem at all. The links and puzzles continue. Is there any way of finding out if the Rosenblooms and Freedmans were living there at the same time?
                      Not unless someone answers my messages on the Leeds website. Or unless we could find any names on the Leeds electoral rolls & I doubt that, as most of these people would not have the vote then. The census was taken in April 1891 & Louis was living there Pre- March 1890 before he married, but no idea how long he lived there before he married & moved to Back Byron St

W

Comment

• Wendi

you said that Louis Myers (Secundy) was the father of Fanny, Beatrice, Sarah etc, all of whom went to Canada in 1912 as per shipping lists. But Louis was not on the passenger list. Yet he must have gone to Canada because you state he died 12 Jan 1933 Toronto.

Can anyone see the family still in England in 1911 and was Louis still here or had he gone on ahead, lol.

OC

Comment

• Yes OC he was the father of Fanny, Beatrice (or Rebecca), Sara etc. all of whom went to Canada. I have no idea why Lewis/Louis Myers was not on the ship, whether he stayed behind or came later. I do have a copy of his DC in my shoe box at ancestry. Did he come earlier than 1912? I haven't been able to find him on any ship's manifest.
                          w.

Comment

• There is a cecil myers living in leeds in 1911 born 1904. Have not checked all the names.

Also checked 1911 census for Canada and only 2 Louis Myers and they are both single.
                            Karen

Comment

• Karen,
                              I think we might have established that our Cecil Myers was born in 1905....you found him on a border crossing from the U.S. to Canada in 1923.
                              Louis/Lewis Myers married Martha or Betsy Harris Myers in 1891. I don't think it was the same one. Any thoughts?
                              w.

Comment

• Looking at the border crossing right now.

Date of crossing was Feb 9th 1928. Cecils states his date of birth as July 11 1904 born Leeds, Yorkshire.

He was going to his Aunt Mrs. E. Stearn? in Brooklyn.
                                Karen

Comment

• That's our Cecil...Karen. Thanks so so so much. His aunt Lillian Stearn (d) lived in Brooklyn and was married to Ed. What boat was he on? Lillian was an aunt to my grandmother Fanny Myers Cohen (d) and Cecil was my grandmother's brother. Another piece of the puzzle.

Comment

• I would like to thank Tilly Mint for sending me a possible document through Wallaby. Thanks so much for thinking of me and sending it along. It wasn't a match, but ya nevah know.

Comment

• ;) I just seen the forname and surname together Put it aside Wendi, it may come in handy...Lol
                                      I'll try to join in with your research now....

Jacky
                                      Jacky

Comment

• Hi Wendi, it was a border crossing into Buffalo N.Y from Canada.

The Harris family from Leeds, have a daughter Lily 1883 and Milly 1889.
                                        Neither one match (age wise) with Lillian Stearn from the 1930 census for Brooklyn. I checked to see if Cecil was still there.

Still looking.
                                        Karen

Comment

• It's so dizzying even I can't keep up with it. I will put it aside and thanks for joining in. If you detect any errors or mismatches....feel free to let me know. My head is spinning.
                                          w.

Comment

Working...
                                          X