Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
    Not sure if you already have this!
    Louis Sekunda on the 1891 census living at 58 Byron Street.
    RG12; Piece: 3689; Folio 50; Page 6

That's great - confirms that Louis is Lewis and the surname was Sekunda..

Comment

There is a naturalisation for a Louis Seconda in the UK Archives - from Russia. Resident in London. Certificate 11996 issued 2 April 1925.

Comment

What I now think happened is that Louis (Lewis) Myer Sekunda at 58 Byron Street changed his name to Louis (Lewis Myers) because Sekunda was not a name he wanted to live with. I'm a little uncertain of Louis Seconda from Russia. But I suppose any variation is possible and worth further investigation. thanks Naomiatt...

Comment

Elaine, Thanks...yes I have and am trying to put it all together. The best thing would be to send away for an MC to verify. It certainly does look good.

Comment

Hi Wendi, do you have any birth certificates for any of the children for Lewis and Betsy?

Still trying to find Martha Fanny Harris on the 1891.
            Karen

Comment

Living at 23 Bridge st, Leeds on the 1891 are Benjamin and Annie Harris. Eldest daughter is Betsy aged 19 is born Poland, Russia as are the parents. The youngest child Milly is born in Leeds.
              Karen

Comment

Originally posted by wrechtsman View Post
                What I now think happened is that Louis (Lewis) Myer Sekunda at 58 Byron Street changed his name to Louis (Lewis Myers) because Sekunda was not a name he wanted to live with. I'm a little uncertain of Louis Seconda from Russia. But I suppose any variation is possible and worth further investigation. thanks Naomiatt...
                I've tried to find the Louis from London naturalisation details in the London Gazette-
                http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/ but I've not been able to see it...odd...

There are two Sekunda's who naturalised - one from Poland and living in Derbyshire - another, also from Poland and living in Folkestone, Kent - if you look in the LG and put the surname in, they will both come up..if you then click on the pdf bit, more info will show

Comment

Post 82 - this Louis Secunda can't be ours, as ours was presumably living in Canada by this time, although of course he doesn't appear on those passenger lists for 1912 - wonder when he went over there then? Has anyone spotted this family in 1911?

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                    Post 82 - this Louis Secunda can't be ours, as ours was presumably living in Canada by this time, although of course he doesn't appear on those passenger lists for 1912 - wonder when he went over there then? Has anyone spotted this family in 1911?

OC
                    Hi OC - there's a L LOWIS Secunda in 1911 born 1882 and living in West Ham - and also in West Ham are a R MOCKER Secunda born 1881, an OPRAHAM born 1877, Clara born 1877 and children Sarah aged 9, Harry aged 7, Beatrice aged 5, Lily aged 3 and a H Harry aged 9 months - all the others with that surname spelling are in Southwark or Mile End Old Town, so presume this London Louis is L Lowis.

Comment

Originally posted by naomiatt View Post
                      I was trying to find what Ohe could relate to..http://www.jewishgen.org/databases/G...mes/search.htm
                      and those names are one of the lines that came up..they give you alternatives for the Hebrew, Yiddish and the
                      Americanism (is that a word??!!)

They married at Jews Synagogue Belgrave Street (The Great Synagogue) in Leeds - the info is on JCRUK -
                      Martha Fanny Harris was aged 21 - address was 23 Bridge Street
                      her father Harris Harris, was a tailor
                      Lewis Myer Seccundy was aged 22, and a tailor - address was 58 Byron Street
                      his father Ohe Seccundy, was also a tailor
                      date of marriage 25th December 1891
                      Byron Street.... My Friedman's & Your Cohen/Myers/Seccundy's must have known each other if not related.

W
                      We should never forget them,
                      Because we would not be here today, but for them.
                      We should be proud, reflect, respect and always remember them.
                      Because we all have them…
                      Them… were our Ancestors.

Comment

Thanks Karen: I have no BC's for anyone.

Comment

Do you think they could have known each other? Really? Is their proximity very close? I have no idea.

Comment

Just to confirm that at 23 Bridge Street 1901 census gives the same family that were there in the 1891 census. I wonder if Harris Harris and Benjamin Harris are one and the same person.

Benjamin Harris bn circa 1847 Russia occ Tinner tinplate goods?
                            Annie Harris bn circa 1851 Russia
                            Lilly Harris bn circa 1883 tailoress bn Leeds
                            Rose Harris bn circa 1885 leeds

This family match up with the 1891 that were still at the same address where Martha Fanny got married from.
                            WendyP

Comment

Post 82....Don't think this Louis Secunda is ours. I could not find anything of him leaving for Canada either. Presumably, he never made it, unless I'm missing something (which is also entirely possible).

Comment

Wow! Isn't that interesting. Harris Harris and Benjamin Harris "might" be the same person. Benjamin and Annie seem to be the parents here, with Lily and Rose as their children. The names don't jump out at me but the occupations DO. I'm not sure of who these people are: perhaps Martha Fanny's family, (since they were at the same address) but who?.

Comment

OC...help...I need a quick lesson here. How do I look in the LG? More info. svp. thanks. w.

Comment

Karen,
                                    23 Bridge Street is the clue here. Their eldest daughter Betsy, born in Poland is a familair name. Their youngest child Milly is a big ?????. Can anyone make an assumption here? I'm losing it.

Comment

As Wendy P said, the address matches the marriage cert for Martha Fanny Harris. Living there is a Harris family, but a Benjamin Harris not Harris Harris. Benjamin on the 1891 is a cooper smith NOT a tailor though as stated on marriage cert.

On the 1901 still for 23 Bridge St, Milly is now Lilly and there is ayounger sister Rose.

A birth cert for one of the children and the marriage cert would definitely help.
                                      Karen

Comment

There is the famliy of people living on the very newest census at 23 Bridge Street

Head Leah Barnett widow 1878 England
                                        Mother Fanny Harris Widow 1847 Russia
                                        son Philip Barnett single 1901 Glasgow
                                        Daughter R*t* Barnett single 1903 Glasgow

Now according to this website if you look for leah F harries http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb....y/brides_f.htm and freebmd there was a Leah Florrie Harris who married one Hyman Barnett in 1899.

I cant see Leah on the 1901 but given the birth of the 2 children maybe there were in Glasgow by then.

I think that seeing Fanny Harris at the same address as we saw Annie Harris with same children and Hubby Benjamin that they are one and the same couple.

On the same website there are other harris marriage that you maybe able to match up also...
                                        WendyP

Comment

• Originally posted by wrechtsman View Post
                                          Do you think they could have known each other? Really? Is their proximity very close? I have no idea.
                                          Yes, it was a very small area & my grandfather Louis lived in 37, Back Byron Street, Leeds when he married his 1st wife Rachel Simon & they were still at that address on the 1891 census, living with Morris & Rebecca Rosenberg & their children. Morris Rosenberg & Morris Coehn were witnesses to Louis & Rachel's wedding. The area was called Leylands - hang on I'll find the website for it.

Back Byron St would probably be Court Dwellings Wendi. If it was like Liverpool, the Court was a tiny street off the main street. There would be Byron Street & then somewhere between the shops or terraced houses would be a tiny long narrow ally, which was the only access into the Court. (Edit: The Court was probably called "Back Byron ST) I've given an account of the Liverpool Court Dwelling in my book, because my grandmother brought her family up in a Court Dwelling- as they where known. They were primitive slums, with no sanitation, no water, toilets or electricity. Usually built in blocks of 6 or 8, with 1 or 2 outside toilets built at the end of the block for all the families to share & their only fresh water was a pump or tap in the middle of the court. The toilets were always blocked & the sewage overflowed into the Court were the children played. They were breeding grounds for Typhus & every other deadly disease. Loads of families lived together, some in cellars with dirt floors. So, Back Byron Street, would probably be the Court off Byron St. Liverpool's mortality rate was one of the highest if not THE highest in the country, with as many as 1/3 of children dying before they reach school age. My grandmother lost two out of six. Bang on average.

Hope this link works it should take you directly to Byron St, Leeds.

W
                                          Last edited by Wallaby; 25-03-10, 13:25.
                                          We should never forget them,
                                          Because we would not be here today, but for them.
                                          We should be proud, reflect, respect and always remember them.
                                          Because we all have them…
                                          Them… were our Ancestors.

Comment

Working...
                                          X