No announcement yet.

Calling All Myers From Leeds....Cohen from Canada needs Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm so thrilled for you Wallaby. Another piece of the puzzle being solved today. It would be great to find the children of Eva Schrier. Can I help?
    Eva Schrier sounds like a Jewish name. I know it's politically incorrect to say, but I still think it is. I have access to the ancestry website, so let me know.

Comment

Fred Astaire's real name was Austerlitz I think. his father was Jewish.

Tea dances are definitely an English thing, lol! (Um, well, maybe not, they used to be called The Dansant, french for Tea Dance!!) You get all dolled up and go off to some nice hotel which has a dance floor with tea tables round it. You have afternoon tea and then you have a nice little dance - ballroom of course. Lovely, genteel pastime and I expect it has completely died out now.

OC

Comment

Olde Crone....you're brilliant once again. That's what I'll do, since I need some pointing in the right direction. Where do I send/call/email for their marriage certificate? Any idea?
        w.

Comment

Wow! That would be incredible! I do have a few people who could help with the Hebrew, BUT if you're willing....that would be wonderful. I would give the translation to their 87 year old daughter, who would be tickled pink!!! Thanks so much Naomiatt.

Comment

Hi Wendi - "There is a Kiev connection" - where did you get that information from?
            Encyclopedia of Jewish and Israeli history, politics and culture, with biographies, statistics, articles and documents on topics from anti-Semitism to Zionism.

There was the composer, Shalom SECUNDA who wrote Bei Mir Bist Du Schoen (see Wallaby's post about the song!)
            Shalom was from the Ukraine - born in Aleksandriya, in the Kherson region. http://www.milkenarchive.org/artists...f?artistid=246

The surname can also be spelt as SECOUNDA.....With regards to the surname, have you looked at sephardic.com?
            http://www.sephardim.com/ Might be worth a post to them about it, or to the Sephardic forum at JGen -
            sephardic@lyris.jewishgen.org is the email for posts - you might have to subscribe to their mailing list first.....http://www.jewishgen.org/sephardic/
            If you prefer, I subscribe to that forum at JGen and can ask for you..let me know on that...ditto with the Ukraine SIG.
            One side of my family are from Berdychev and surrounds.

There were lots of SECUNDA's in the East End of London...some definitely Jewish.

Comment

Originally posted by wrechtsman View Post
              Wow! That would be incredible! I do have a few people who could help with the Hebrew, BUT if you're willing....that would be wonderful. I would give the translation to their 87 year old daughter, who would be tickled pink!!! Thanks so much Naomiatt.
              Not a prob. I'm not sure what documents you have - you can put it on here...I've not done an attachment myself, so not quite sure how you do it..
              or e mail me direct. I'll send you a pm now with my e mail address.

Comment

I've just found this marriage info -
                SECCUNDY Lewis Myer 22 SECCUNDY Ohe HARRIS Martha Fanny 21 HARRIS Harris 1891/12/25
                Not sure what Ohe might be..Ohed? Ohel? Ohad? Probably a variant of Obadiah.

You can order the marriage cert on line - http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/
                I'm still up as I'm in Aus!

Marriages Dec 1891
                Harris Martha Fanny Leeds 9b 960
                Seccundy Lewis Myer Leeds 9b 960

Comment

I know of Shalom Secunda who wrote Bei Mir Bist Du Schoen (I'll have to look up Wallaby's post). In fact, about 8 years ago, I spent hours in the Toronto library looking at books in the stacks. I found tons of info. and lots of pictures of him, his family and his very beginnings in the Ukraine.
                  I even sent a note to VIVO in New York and had some leads to his children which I followed up on. It just felt it was going nowhere. Although, whether it was in my mind or I wanted to believe it was true (given his notoriety and fame) and my own personal involvement in the arts, there was a strong resemblance to him and my own father. I have not looked at Sephardic.com but will do so. I'm a member of Jewish Gen, but if you could ask for me that also would be terrific and much appreciated. I have always poo poo'd an uncle of mine (deceased) who told us of the name Secunda. Perhaps there's something to it that I'm missing. I have no idea. The Kiev connection was written on a document I found for a family member on ancestry.ca They listed Kieff as a place of origin. w.

Comment

Fred Astaire was Jewish. Well, that's another thing I didn't know. What was his real name...anyone know? Anyhow...very interesting about Wallaby's dad. Tea Dances? That must be an English thing. I'll have to ask my aunt if she remembers Tea Dances. A great movie title I think.
                    Frederick Austerlitz

Comment

Wow. Something new learned today. thanks, Peppie.

Comment

What's a pm?

Comment

What's a pm?
                          personal message - if you click on my name for example..you'll see private message and you can send to that..
                          also, at the top of this, you'll see my notifications heading...if you click on that, you should be able to read my message.

Comment

Originally posted by naomiatt View Post
                            I've just found this marriage info -
                            SECCUNDY Lewis Myer 22 SECCUNDY Ohe HARRIS Martha Fanny 21 HARRIS Harris 1891/12/25
                            Not sure what Ohe might be..Ohed? Ohel? Ohad? Probably a variant of Obadiah.

You can order the marriage cert on line - http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/
                            I'm still up as I'm in Aus!

Marriages Dec 1891
                            Harris Martha Fanny Leeds 9b 960
                            Seccundy Lewis Myer Leeds 9b 960
                            did you see this marriage Wendi - with names of the father's?

Comment

I'm so thrilled for you Wallaby. Another piece of the puzzle being solved today. It would be great to find the children of Eva Schrier. Can I help?
                              Eva Schrier sounds like a Jewish name. I know it's politically incorrect to say, but I still think it is. I have access to the ancestry website, so let me know.
                              I've found her DC & ordered it today thanks Wendi. & we have a couple of possible marriages earmarked for her.

W
                              We should never forget them,
                              Because we would not be here today, but for them.
                              We should be proud, reflect, respect and always remember them.
                              Because we all have them…
                              Them… were our Ancestors.

Comment

"The Kiev connection was written on a document I found for a family member on ancestry.ca They listed Kieff as a place of origin" -
                                do you know what the document was? Was it in relation to 'Seccundy'?

Happy to post on JGen Sephardic...have you come across the name of Ohe before?? or Ikhl / Ikhl-Mikhl / Khil / Yekhil / Yekhl / Yokhl / Yukhl..

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                                  Fred Astaire's real name was Austerlitz I think. his father was Jewish.

Tea dances are definitely an English thing, lol! (Um, well, maybe not, they used to be called The Dansant, french for Tea Dance!!) You get all dolled up and go off to some nice hotel which has a dance floor with tea tables round it. You have afternoon tea and then you have a nice little dance - ballroom of course. Lovely, genteel pastime and I expect it has completely died out now.

OC
                                  There is/was a shopping mall here in Liverpool, which started having Tea Dances in the afternoon. It was so comical & completely out of place. All these old dears would get all dressed up & their ball dresses would be stiff with tulle & that was the men! & they'd waltz around the Mall, while the shoppers were rushing past - both completely oblivious to each other - talk about two separate worlds. It was so funny watching the old charmers with their dicky bows getting a pink bit of tulle up to dance - so, funny to watch them. God... I hope Harry wasn't one of those lecherous little tuxedo clad old men waltzing around Hampstead in his 70's !!!! I've got visions in my head of that good looking tall dark handsome man, turned out to age like Steptoe's dad when he got dressed up to go a-courting. Oh... the shame!

:emb:

W

Night Folks...
                                  Last edited by Wallaby; 25-03-10, 00:04.
                                  We should never forget them,
                                  Because we would not be here today, but for them.
                                  We should be proud, reflect, respect and always remember them.
                                  Because we all have them…
                                  Them… were our Ancestors.

Comment

Never seen the name OHE before. What do all the other names mean? Some of them sound familiar to me in Yiddish (learned a little from my husband's side of the family).

Comment

I've thought about Kieff in relation to Secunda but not Seccundy. I'll try and remember where I saw it, but I think it was on a BC and can't remember who it was listed for. I just discovered "Seccundy" today, so it wouldn't have been for that name.

Comment

Never seen the name OHE before. What do all the other names mean? Some of them sound familiar to me in Yiddish (learned a little from my husband's side of the family).

I was trying to find what Ohe could relate to..http://www.jewishgen.org/databases/G...mes/search.htm
                                        and those names are one of the lines that came up..they give you alternatives for the Hebrew, Yiddish and the
                                        Americanism (is that a word??!!)

They married at Jews Synagogue Belgrave Street (The Great Synagogue) in Leeds - the info is on JCRUK -
                                        Martha Fanny Harris was aged 21 - address was 23 Bridge Street
                                        her father Harris Harris, was a tailor
                                        Lewis Myer Seccundy was aged 22, and a tailor - address was 58 Byron Street
                                        his father Ohe Seccundy, was also a tailor
                                        date of marriage 25th December 1891

Comment

Not sure if you already have this!
                                          Louis Sekunda on the 1891 census living at 58 Byron Street.
                                          RG12; Piece: 3689; Folio 50; Page 6

Elaine

Comment

Working...
                                          X