No announcement yet.

Calling All Myers From Leeds....Cohen from Canada needs Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OOOps.....forgot to mention in the MYERS family...
    Lewis Myers (d) father was Benjamin Myers (b??? d???? 1865) and Sarah Kates Myers

Comment

Cecil Myers died Jan 1985 Deerfield Beach, Broward Florida.

Florida death index says death was 29 Jan 1985.
      Karen

Comment

Karen,
        Thanks Karen. I'll check this out with my 87 yr. old aunt. Could this be our Cecil Myers? What else does it say on the DC? Wife? Children?
        It's certainly possible.
        Wendi

Comment

Sorry there isn't any other info on the Florida or Social Security Death, but it did say that date of birth was 11 July 1904 which matches with the border crossing info.

i did notice on Louis Myers death notice that he had been in Canada 32 years. I was not sure how that tied in with Cecil's birth in leeds in 1904.
          Karen

Comment

Wendi

I think your next step is to trace the Myer family on the uk census, to firm up birth dates etc.Do you know what year they left Leeds for Canada?

I have let my Ancestry sub lapse, so I can't do this for you - perhaps someone else will take a look for the Myers family please.

OC

Comment

Looking for the Myers family in the UK census

A possible in 1901

Louis Myers c 1869 Rus F S Head - occ Tailors machinist
              Martha Myers c1872 Rus F S
              Fanny Myers c 1893 Yks F S, Leeds
              Sarah Myers c 1895 Yks F S, Leeds
              Rebecca Myers c 1897 Yks F S, Leeds
              Rachel Myers c 1899 Yks F S, Leeds

RG13; Piece: 4220; Folio: 87; Page: 45
              a link to the UK ancestry page if you have a subscription: http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...993277&recoff=

Not sure if this is the right family as not all the names match up - but I can see on passenger lists Fanny and Rebecca travelling to Canada:

Canadian Passenger Lists, 1865-1935
              Date of Arrival - 9 Jun 1912 - name of Vessel: Corsican
              Port of Arrival - Quebec
              Port of Departure - Liverpool, England
              Elaine

Comment

Hello,
                It looks like the Fanny travelling in June is the correct one, from what Wendi already posted.

There is also a Mathie Myers travelling with 4 children to Canada Sept 6th, 1912.
                Children are Sara 17, Rachel 11, Sisel 7 and Edie 9.

Sorry do not know how to put the link for ancestry.

There does not appear to be another family that matches ages etc, than the one Elaine posted.
                Karen

Comment

Good question, Karen. Another thing to check out.

Originally posted by Karen S View Post
                  Sorry there isn't any other info on the Florida or Social Security Death, but it did say that date of birth was 11 July 1904 which matches with the border crossing info.

i did notice on Louis Myers death notice that he had been in Canada 32 years. I was not sure how that tied in with Cecil's birth in leeds in 1904.

Comment

forgot to thank you too Borobabs.....love the quote and hope we can sort out all our problems and answer all our questions.

Comment

Originally posted by Karen S View Post

There is also a Mathie Myers travelling with 4 children to Canada Sept 6th, 1912.
                      Children are Sara 17, Rachel 11, Sisel 7 and Edie 9.

Sorry do not know how to put the link for ancestry.
                      This is the link for the Mathie Myers - but if Wendy is accessing Ancestry via the Canadian site then the UK link might not work.
                      http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...419&recoff=1+2

(Karen, if you want to give a link all you need to do is to copy the web address of the page you are looking at.)
                      Elaine

Comment

Found a marriage in Leeds 1891. It has 3 listed, but 2 are Martha Fanny Harris and Lewis Myer Secundy.
                        Karen

Comment

Louis Sekunda and Fanny Harris are both on Byron St in Leeds in 1891 census.
                          Louis is a tailors machinist as is the Lewis in 1901.

I had already looked at Louis's record when searching Wallabys' Louis.
                          Karen

Comment

1891 Louis Sekunda bn 1871 Russia living as a border

REF RG12 3689 Folio 50 page 6
                            WendyP

Comment

Marks GLICK, Head Married M 43 1848 Plumber bn Russia

Sarah GLICK, Wife Married F 42 1849 Russia

Isaac HARRIS, P Lodger Married M 23 1868 Jewellery Traveller Russia

Fanny HARRIS, Niece Married F 21 1870 Russia

Annie COHEN, Niece Single F 20 1871 Tailoress Russia

68 Byron Street Leeds
                              WendyP

Comment

Karen,
                                Truly truly amazing. I'm dumbfounded. This might be one of my missing links. These names make sense to what I know as factual. I think that Lewis Myer Seccundy (rumours in the family were a name of Secunda), changed his name to Lewis Myers. Then he married Martha Fanny Harris.
                                In Judiasm, one usually names their children after dead relatives or close to their names, either in Hebrew or English. In this case, Martha Fanny Harris/Myers are all recognizeable names within the family that have been passed down. I just have to connect the dots. However, I never considered looking at a variation of Secunda to Seccundy. Now I can search further with that name. I'm shuddering with excitement. I went onto the ancestry.co.uk website and had a look. Thank you sosososososososo much.

Comment

from Wendy to Wendi a thank you

Thanks so much Wendy. I'm a Wendi too. Nice to meet you. It looks very interesting, but I haven't gone that far back yet. The names seem plausible, but if you have a source I'd be most interested in seeing it. It certainly could be a possibility.
                                  Wendi
                                  Originally posted by WendyP View Post
                                  Marks GLICK, Head Married M 43 1848 Plumber bn Russia

Sarah GLICK, Wife Married F 42 1849 Russia

Isaac HARRIS, P Lodger Married M 23 1868 Jewellery Traveller Russia

Fanny HARRIS, Niece Married F 21 1870 Russia

Annie COHEN, Niece Single F 20 1871 Tailoress Russia

68 Byron Street Leeds

Comment

Ok....so help me out here? We have the name Louis Myer Seccundy (on the record) and Louis Sekunda. Are these one in the same person? Do the dates coincide?

Comment

Thanks again OC. I know when Fanny left for Canada (approx) but no one else. Karen seems to be helping me with the Myers and we may be getting somewhere. I'm deliriously excited.

Comment

Originally posted by wrechtsman View Post
                                        I know when Fanny left for Canada (approx) but no one else.
                                        There is some info on posts 26 & 27 about Fanny and the rest of the Myer family going to Canada.

I´m presuming Samuel Cohen also travelled from UK to Canada - do you have a year of birth for him?
                                        Elaine

Comment

Hi Elaine from Spain,
                                          Thanks so much for all of the above. I've seen this before in my searches and although most of the names match, there is one that doesn't that throws me off. That's why I discounted it when I first saw it. The name is Rebecca Myers. Louis and Martha (or Betsy??) did not have a Rebecca in the family. All the other names match. I also saw Fanny and Rebecca travelling to Canada and no one in the family knows of any Rebecca. OMG....could Rebecca be Beatrice or Bea????? I just had an AHA moment. There is also 2 missing people on that ships list....Edith and Cecil.
                                          Did they stay behind in Leeds? Are they on the next census I wonder.
                                          Wow...what a day!!!
                                          Wendi

Comment

Working...
                                          X