No announcement yet.

Stephen Saunders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another thought...assume he was still working in a greengrocers....I know there would be quite a few...but is it worth looking at shops around the locale..

Comment

Naomi - rest assured your suggestion has been taken onboard and announcement will be posted shortly.

Comment

John,
        thanks for posting the information you already have, it saves time. I'm glad you know which regiment Stephen served with in WW1....I was thinking he may have joined the RN, following his father.
        His medal card has a notation in the "Reason for discharge" colomn....this may help with the reason for discharge. If there's no one on here that can help with that, the Great War Forum will have someone that can. ( I can post on there for you, if you don't want to register)
        The reason is...

AO 256/17
        2/b1
        s

There doesn't seem to be Pension Records or Service Records for "your" Stephen Saunders.
        Depending on your interest I found the local newspapers for the village/town where the soldier originally lived very useful. They usually have weekly lists for KIA, wounded, missing & those home on leave. Also news about when & where they were wounded & where they're being cared for.
        The National Archives at Kew may have the War Diary of his Company. They are a bit hit & miss with the amount of information, but I found it quite useful for researching my husband's Grandfather's time during the war.

Regarding the likelyhood of Stephen Saunders being your mother's actual father , I personally think this may be unlikely, otherwise why leave her behind in England?. You say you have an original birth certificate, which has been altered to add Stephen's name. I think this can be done officially later, but usually follows a particular convention & is signed by the Registrar, does it just look like someone wrote it in the space for "father"?. Someone on here will have more knowledge about that than me.

Local newspapers would be a very good source for information for Stephen post 1918. Have you checked marriage/birth announcements....or even the news of them emigrating?
        ~ Louise ~

Researching Dalzell, Highmore & Sumpton in Cumbria, also Braidford & Chevalier

Comment

I’m the great grandchild of Stephen and Olive. Would love to connect 😊

Comment

Originally posted by KSaunders View Post
            I’m the great grandchild of Stephen and Olive. Would love to connect 
            John hasn't been on the site since 2011 but if you send him a private message, if his email address is current, he will receive a notification.
            Caroline
            Caroline's Family History Pages
            Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Thanks Caroline ��

Comment

Stephen and Olive Saunders are my grandparents!

Hello John (and Di)
                I believe I've heard from both of you before by email many years ago and briefly on Ancestry, but wasn't up to speed on the period in question before Stephen Saunders left England. It was my late mother Peggy that was the infant you mention. Now I have his personal biography copied and it could provide more info for your quest but perhaps one of my aunts or uncles has already provided you with the information you're looking for by now? I believe the possibility of a child born out of wedlock has been discussed; some discounted it, others like my mother had heard about it but sadly it apparently was never discussed by my grandfather when he was living. Personally, I'm happy to share any information that can help you further. I'm 70 now and interested in every branch of my family tree! Di and I lost touch but she had some photos and info I did appreciate receiving until I let my Ancestry membership lapse. Hope this finds you well. marilyn (miller) erickson

Originally posted by JPBeds View Post
                Hello Naomi & Louise

Thanks for looking into this. I have researched Stephen Saunders & family for a few years now - & to save you repeating that research; I will post what I know.

Stephen Henry Saunders was born 16 Aug 1892 at Landport, Portsmouth; his parents Henry Saunders & Victoria Emily Golding.
                On 1901 census the family are living in Liss, Hampshire. Stephen aged 8, with brother William 7 & sister Grace 2.
                On 1911 census Henry James Saunders & wife Emily were living in Forest Road, Liss, Hampshire with Stephen age 18 who was a shop assistant, William age 17 a Boot Maker apprentice, Emily 13, Grace 12 & Daisy 9.

On his WW1 medal card, Stephen Saunders was in the Hampshire regiment, no 14369. He enlisted 9 Nov 1914 & was discharged, possibly on medical grounds, on 1/1/1918. He won the Victory Medal & the British Star.

Stephen married Olive Edith Dowling on 2 Dec 1919 at the Ebenezer Hall, King St Southsea as per the rites of the Christianson Brethren. He was age 27 living in 46 Harold Road, Southsea. Winesses Henry Dowling, William Saunders & Thomas Cartwright. His father was Henry James Saunders, at this time a House Painter, as was Olive's father Henry.

21 Oct 1920 daughter possible living person was born, at 101 Haslemere Road, Southsea. Stephen is now a Greengrocers Shop manager.

On 12 May 1921 Stephen Saunders age 28, fruiterer with Olive Edith age 22 & possible living person age 5 months, address 101 Hazelmere Road Southsea, are on passenger list for ship 'Melita' ticket no 12819, from Liverpool left 1921 to Montreal, Quebec arriving 22/5/1921. On the arrivals manifest it states their destination as Naksup, British Colombia, intended occupation farming.

In Duncan, British Columbia, Stephen & Olive had 5 children between 1922 - 1935. Olive died in 1959 & Stephen died in 1966.

I have further information on the family in Canada, but there is no need to go into that in too much detail. I am more interested in the life & times of Stephen Saunders after his discharge from the army in early 1918 & his departure for Canada in 1921, in particular any address details. I am thinking that he would be in the Portsmouth/Portsea/Southsea area.

Cheers John

Comment

Working...
                X