Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stephen Saunders

Here we go again!

Whilst we are still uncertain about the Levien-Thompsons, have been following up on the Dowlings. George Levien's sister-in-law Olive married Stephen Saunders in 1919 and they and their daughter went to Canada in 1921. Leaving behind John's grandmother who may or may not be the daughter of Stephen Saunders. John would be very grateful if we can find any evidence to help him.
    Regds
    Di

My mother Joan Evelyn Wright was born in a 'Hostel for Fallen & Friendless Women' at Hope lodge, Southampton in May 1919. Her original birth certificate, that I have, names 'Stephen Saunders, soldier' as her father, although this seems to have been written on later, as I did get another from the GRO that does not have that detail. She was fostered out as child in Bournmouth/Poole area, & she had an adult baptism at Bromham, Bedford church in 1951 where the record states her parents named as Stephen & Evelyn Wright. My grandmother was Evelyn Victoria Wright (her original surname was Clement - but that's another story) born 1897 Croydon, who's father Louis Clement changed the family name back to Wright in 1907 in Southampton. A family story says that Evelyn was in Southsea helping out at her step sister Jennie Clement who married Henry Venn in 1910, & had 2 children in Southsea 1912 & 1914. Jennie Venn died 1914 n childbirth.

If my mother's birth certificate notation is to have any truth in it, I then searched for a Stephen Saunders, who was a soldier, & was of a similar age to my gran, & was living same area; & this Stephen Saunders fitted the bill. If it can be proved is another matter. It could be that Stephen Saunders was unaware that he had fathered my grandmother
    Hi Di - I think it might be worthwhile posting this question as a new topic..otherwise it might get lost in this topic.. Naomi
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi, please can you confirm that your mother (born 1919) has passed away please, as it's site policy not to name (possible) living persons.

Many thanks,

Velma

Comment

Have asked John the question.
      Di

Comment

Hello Di; Thanks for posting this query, hope it brings in some interest..... & Velma, yes my mother died in Dec 1970; had she still been alive I would have asked her this question about Stephen Saunders, wouldn't you think.

cheers John

Comment

Hello John

Marriages Dec 1919
          Dowling Olive E Saunders Portsmouth 2b 1587
          Saunders Stephen H Dowley Portsmouth 2b 1587

Were there any files in Canada to indicate the number of children they had?

Is this Stephen H?
          Births Sep 1892
          Saunders Stephen Henry Portsea 2b 447

You mentioned WW1 - If you have further details for that Stephen H...does it indicate the theatre of wars?
          If so, that might give a clue as to when he returned to England (assuming he was serving out of the UK)
          Last edited by naomiatt; 16-03-10, 00:25.

Comment

The passenger list for 1921 has Stephen Saunders age 28 (b 1893?) Fruiterer, 101 Hazelmeare (sic) Road, Southsea, Olive Edith h/wife age 22, Peggy age 5m
            Departure 12th may 1921.
            Last edited by Velma Dinkley; 17-03-10, 07:29. Reason: Confirmation possible living person decd
            ~ Louise ~

Researching Dalzell, Highmore & Sumpton in Cumbria, also Braidford & Chevalier

Comment

Olive Edith Saunders died age 61, 10th Dec 1959, Duncan, British Colombia
              ~ Louise ~

Researching Dalzell, Highmore & Sumpton in Cumbria, also Braidford & Chevalier

Comment

Originally posted by JPBeds View Post
                Hello Di; Thanks for posting this query, hope it brings in some interest..... & Velma, yes my mother died in Dec 1970; had she still been alive I would have asked her this question about Stephen Saunders, wouldn't you think.

cheers John
                With respect John, many people use FTF to ask for help to trace their ancestors when their living elderly relatives are either unwilling, unable or too incapacitated to help them.

One of FTF's policies is that living persons are not mentioned on the site.. and that's why I have requested in the past that if anyone is named who was born less then 100 years ago and it is known that they are deceased, for the member to note this next to their name (ie d. 1970). This will prevent the moderating team from removing the name from the post - which I could have done in this instance, but chose to give you the benefit of the doubt by asking first.

Comment

Hello Naomi & Louise

Thanks for looking into this. I have researched Stephen Saunders & family for a few years now - & to save you repeating that research; I will post what I know.

Stephen Henry Saunders was born 16 Aug 1892 at Landport, Portsmouth; his parents Henry Saunders & Victoria Emily Golding.
                  On 1901 census the family are living in Liss, Hampshire. Stephen aged 8, with brother William 7 & sister Grace 2.
                  On 1911 census Henry James Saunders & wife Emily were living in Forest Road, Liss, Hampshire with Stephen age 18 who was a shop assistant, William age 17 a Boot Maker apprentice, Emily 13, Grace 12 & Daisy 9.

On his WW1 medal card, Stephen Saunders was in the Hampshire regiment, no 14369. He enlisted 9 Nov 1914 & was discharged, possibly on medical grounds, on 1/1/1918. He won the Victory Medal & the British Star.

Stephen married Olive Edith Dowling on 2 Dec 1919 at the Ebenezer Hall, King St Southsea as per the rites of the Christianson Brethren. He was age 27 living in 46 Harold Road, Southsea. Winesses Henry Dowling, William Saunders & Thomas Cartwright. His father was Henry James Saunders, at this time a House Painter, as was Olive's father Henry.

21 Oct 1920 daughter possible living person was born, at 101 Haslemere Road, Southsea. Stephen is now a Greengrocers Shop manager.

On 12 May 1921 Stephen Saunders age 28, fruiterer with Olive Edith age 22 & possible living person age 5 months, address 101 Hazelmere Road Southsea, are on passenger list for ship 'Melita' ticket no 12819, from Liverpool left 1921 to Montreal, Quebec arriving 22/5/1921. On the arrivals manifest it states their destination as Naksup, British Colombia, intended occupation farming.

In Duncan, British Columbia, Stephen & Olive had 5 children between 1922 - 1935. Olive died in 1959 & Stephen died in 1966.

I have further information on the family in Canada, but there is no need to go into that in too much detail. I am more interested in the life & times of Stephen Saunders after his discharge from the army in early 1918 & his departure for Canada in 1921, in particular any address details. I am thinking that he would be in the Portsmouth/Portsea/Southsea area.

Cheers John
                  Last edited by Velma Dinkley; 16-03-10, 20:39. Reason: Naming possible living persons

Comment

Hi - the local Archives/Family History Society might be able to tell you who was living at 46 Harold Road, Southsea in 1918 and 1919 (although you have him there for the end of 1919).
                    That might give a further clue.

Comment

A couple of years back I asked Portsmouth records office to check that out. On the 1918 electoral register Stephen Saunders is not listed at 46 Harold Road, Occupants in 1918 & 1919 were named Davies/Davis & Knight. Nor could they find him in the 1918 Kelly's directory. However the 1920 Kelly's lists S H Saunders at 'Witley' 101 Haslemere Road.

For the record the possible living person died on 20 January 1991 at Saanich BC

Comment

Many thanks for confirming that John - you can now amend your post to reflect that.

As I said in my previous post, if you wrote (d. 1991) next to their name in your post then the moderating team would not have had to intervene

Comment

Davies/Davis & Knight - sounds like it might have been a business??

Comment

Originally posted by Velma Dinkley View Post
                            Many thanks for confirming that John - you can now amend your post to reflect that.

As I said in my previous post, if you wrote (d. 1991) next to their name in your post then the moderating team would not have had to intervene
                            Perhaps a pm in cases like this would be more appropriate.

Comment

Originally posted by naomiatt View Post
                              Perhaps a pm in cases like this would be more appropriate.
                              Unfortunately it is not always appropriate to contact members by pm when it relates to a violation of our Terms and Conditions. Action needs to be taken immediately and the member in question may not be online when the moderating team notice the problem.

Our Ts & Cs are quite clear:
                              DO NOT post any identifying details of living people either in forum posts or on our names database. Such posts will be amended by the moderators without warning and further action may be taken as per our abuse policy.
                              Elaine

Comment

Even while not naming, assumed to be still living, people, there may be descendants of this Stephen Saunders who might be intrigued & perhaps upset as to the purpose of this thread. My aim to determine a 'possible truth' that he could be my maternal grand-father; the Saunders family may know nothing about it.

Comment

Originally posted by naomiatt View Post
                                  Davies/Davis & Knight - sounds like it might have been a business??
                                  No those were the surnames of 4 individuals, I didn't want to put the full names in case they are still living ! ! !

Comment

That may well be the case, John. However it is the naming of possible living persons which is not allowed on this site.

Comment

Originally posted by JPBeds View Post
                                      No those were the surnames of 4 individuals, I didn't want to put the full names in case they are still living ! ! !
                                      Got you...it was worth a thought

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
                                        Unfortunately it is not always appropriate to contact members by pm when it relates to a violation of our Terms and Conditions. Action needs to be taken immediately and the member in question may not be online when the moderating team notice the problem.

Our Ts & Cs are quite clear:
                                        DO NOT post any identifying details of living people either in forum posts or on our names database. Such posts will be amended by the moderators without warning and further action may be taken as per our abuse policy.
                                        As suggested to Velma, I really think that there should be a post on this subject as a Topic so everybody on the forum can see it - and also be clear - (d) are after a name.......
                                        only ******* are allowed etc etc etc.....people are not intending to 'violate'....or 'abuse'.....different forums have different policies..so clarification to everybody would make sense.
                                        Last edited by naomiatt; 17-03-10, 21:17.

Comment

Working...
                                        X