Ancestry Question?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good Morning Elaine.
    I'm not quite sure myself. I set up everything as you say. Initially it was working OK, tree was buiulding nicely, then suddenly I couldn't get it to attach (in the tree) spouse to spouse, children to parents etc. What happens
    is when I try to add another person instead of attaching in the tree it opens a separate page as though I was starting a new tree for the selected person. I've deleted trees several times and started again but after loading the root person I have this "non-attaching problem.

dreen22

Comment

I am still confused as to where, when and why you are trying to attach a person to the pedigree chart using the publish option!

As I understood it you are trying to print a pedigree chart. If you use the instructions I gave, you create your chart (using the selected person as the root person), preview your chart (amending the options that you might require) and then print. You cannot add people to the pedigree chart while you are doing this - the chart is created using existing people in your data file.

If you are trying to add people to your file then you do it before you select the publish option.

Any help?
      Elaine

Comment

Thank-u Elaine.
        This grey matter of mine is beginning to see the light. I'll proceed with that later and see where I go.

I think my misunderstanding arose from Right Clicking and then nothing happening when I selected an option, or appeared not to.

dreen22

Comment

Originally posted by Islander View Post
          Hi Jackie, Dont forget the Tesco offer, £15.00 of clubcard vouchers buys the software.
          Tesco is in England........That's a long way to the shops for me LOL!
          Be nice to your kids...they have to choose your nursing home!

Comment

Well Guys, I bought it and played all Easter with it ( FTM 2010 ). At first I was confused but thought well go for it......downloaded the tree back from Ancestry and Bingo...everything was there....took me a while to realise the photos etc were in Media, but I just concentrated on a small family and just played and played ( I could always have just deleted the whole thing and started again if I got stuck, especially since I hadn't deleted ( and still won't) my original 2005 version. BUT what did confuse me at first was, last time I upgraded FTM It "overided" the original file. This version doesn't do that. You have to download your original FTM working file, into the 2010 version. That's when the fun starts. Another good thing. The software came with "Little Book of Answers". This was very helpful. I must admit though...I'm still not sure I like the split screen where it searches ancestry for you....but it does make it easier to merge.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacqueline View Post
              Well Guys, I bought it and played all Easter with it ( FTM 2010 ). At first I was confused but thought well go for it......downloaded the tree back from Ancestry and Bingo...everything was there....took me a while to realise the photos etc were in Media, but I just concentrated on a small family and just played and played ( I could always have just deleted the whole thing and started again if I got stuck, especially since I hadn't deleted ( and still won't) my original 2005 version. BUT what did confuse me at first was, last time I upgraded FTM It "overided" the original file. This version doesn't do that. You have to download your original FTM working file, into the 2010 version. That's when the fun starts. Another good thing. The software came with "Little Book of Answers". This was very helpful. I must admit though...I'm still not sure I like the split screen where it searches ancestry for you....but it does make it easier to merge.
              I purchased FTM2010 last year because I liked the idea of being able to download all my entered information from the Ancestry website. Previously I had used GSP Star Collection which I was very happy with, but change of computers finally prevented my using it, Windows 7 would not accept my
              information originally started in Windows95. Anyway, as you say, Jacqueline FTM can be fun and I
              had no problems downloading and working on the trees in FTM2010 until I decided the time had come to compile a Tree for printing. I want very much to get my birth name tree into Chart form for display but I'm not sure how it might look because when I attempt to print it only prints the root person everywhere else is blank. Obviously, I'm going wrong somewhere.....any suggestions, as I see you have also used an earlier version so are quite familiar with it.

dreen22

Comment

oooh......I've tried any of that yet. I'll have a play and see what happens. Could be interesting. As I said start with a small family and play with that, then if you do stuff up, it's not hard to reinput 2 generations. Better still, try do a dummy tree........make it up..as a separate tree and see what happens. Let me know how you go!
                Jackie

Comment

Working...
                X