No announcement yet.

FTM 2020 via Tesco deal vouchers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another thought - which antivirus program are you using. On occasions FTM doesn't seem to react very well when Norton in installed - if you have got Norton then it might be worth disabling it while you try the installation again.

If you are still stuck there is a very good FTM Online Help forum - http://genforum.genealogy.com/install/
    There is a resident "expert" - Russ Worthington - who is very helpful and will talk you through things in easily understood language!
    I've used him in the past. He works on USA time so you may have to wait for a reply, but he is usually very prompt.
    Elaine

Comment

I have Norton on my lap top and had now problems installing this, although I do have Windows 7.

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
        I would be very reluctant to delete any files ending in FTM or FTW - these are your master data files for Family Tree Maker!
        If you want to remove them from your hard disk then I would recommend you copy them to an external device rather than just delete.

If you have deleted a FTM/FTW file then I would suggest you look in your recycle bin and retrieve it asap - and then make a copy of it.
        It was an FTW Elaine and I have retrieved it, but I am more confused than ever, the ancestry help page def. said delete anything with that in it !!
        I don't have Norton by the way, I have Avast which I find excellent, and updates every day. I also have "one-click" maintenance which tells me everything is working fine on my computer. I have been through all the folders in my profile and my husbands and there is no Ancestry file (or generation file) in either. I have had no problem uninstalling and reinstalling so don't need to do it manually. I just don't know what to do next.
        Alison

Comment

I would suggest you go on the FTM online forum and see if Russ can help. He rarely gives up until he has sorted the problem!!
          Elaine

Comment

I would suggest you go on the FTM online forum and see if Russ can help. He rarely gives up until he has sorted the problem!!
            Hi Elaine, I tried the link you gave me for that and it wouldn't recognise me as I am in the uk, I had a look around the site and it just gave me the same page as i get in ancestry anyway. I have e-mailed them as there is no phone help line in the uk (!!!) but I have not yet received an answer.
            I have spent all weekend going over and over the list of fixes they give but nothing has worked. I have reduced the level of my anti-virus protection too but still no joy. At least I have made some great new contacts on Genes this weekend so it hasn't been a complete wipeout !
            That kept me sane (I think!)
            Alison

Comment

Sorry you couldn't get into the link Alison - shouldn't make any difference where you are - it's available as a worldwide helpline.
              When you say it didn't recognise you, could you see the listing of questions and replies? If so, you need to scroll across the screen (horizontally) to see the tab to post a new question.

Link: http://genforum.genealogy.com/install/
              Elaine

Comment

It just kept trying to redirect me to ancestry as I am in the uk, and I have already sent an question through that website so didn't want to duplicate. Still no reply yet though. It does say they try and answer every query within 24 hours, but with the time difference and everything I don't know when I should hear something. Hopefully not too long now !
                Alison

Comment

Hurray, I got a reply today....uninstalled the programme for the third time, set up a new user account as a "Test" account and installed the programme on that...the idea being that if it went ok on that it must be a problem with my account, so far so good....only it installed fine yet again, until i tried to open it, then up popped the error message "Launcher has encountered a problem ..." Here we go again... Tried to open it from the desktop link and got the previous error message again. Right, so on to the next set of instructions, only they say the problem is now most likely due to Microsoft .Net Framework and I have to uninstall all versions of .Net Framework and WSE 3.0 via Add/Remove Programms, now on my computer that is 28 items !!!! I was starting to get VERY worried. After I uninstall these I have to download a .net fx cleanup tool from the following website: http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=4...4e75f6e8ebb871 so just to be on the safe side I tried that first., but Google couldn't find any such website !!! I checked and doublechecked the link was copied correctly but nothing. So, I am not uninstalling 28 updates to my computer just to install one piece of software, oh and after I was supposed to use the cleanup tool, I had another five weblinks (all just as long and just as obscure) to reinstall all the .Net Framework on my computer. Does anyone else think this is unreasonable to expect ? I think I am going to put this piece of software on e-bay and try something else ! Such a shame as I was really looking forward to using it but it is just too much.
                  Alison

Comment

Sorry you couldn't get into the link Alison - shouldn't make any difference where you are - it's available as a worldwide helpline.
                    When you say it didn't recognise you, could you see the listing of questions and replies? If so, you need to scroll across the screen (horizontally) to see the tab to post a new question.

Link: http://genforum.genealogy.com/install/
                    Hi Elaine, one last ditch attempt to find help I have posted on the genforum too, in case anyone there has a different solution to the ones I have been offered. I find it very hard to believe the problem is caused by my having all the required updates on my computer, surely I wouldn't be the only one having this problem if that was the case. Oh well, fingers crossed someone may be able to help without dismantling my computer.
                    Alison

Comment

It seems very strange. I certainly wouldn't be happy having to unistall the updates.
                      I hope Russ on the genforum can help in some way.
                      Let us know how you get on.
                      Elaine

Comment

Found the link

Thanks

Trish
                        Last edited by water_sun_sea; 24-03-10, 19:30.
                        looking for mincher and smith of wolverhampton :D

Comment

Update: Russ is now on the case, unfortunately the first fix he suggested didn't work, I also have the Knowledge base guy on the case giving me different suggestions but that didn't work either. I have now downloaded Legacy 7.4 and am working with that which is going well so far, if I can get what I want from it I will give up on FTM as too much trouble.
                          Reading all the different forums about FTM 2010, everyone who has problems usually continues to have them, so even if i eventually get it installed there is no guarantee it will run smoothly thereafter !!! That's encouraging isn't it !
                          Alison

Comment

I can understand your frustration, Alison. I think if I was in your position I might give up on it as well!
                            Elaine

Comment

I'd ask for my money back too.

Comment

That is the next problem Val, I got this with my Tesco vouchers, have to figure out how to get a refund, if I can, or if I might be better off just putting it on e-bay.
                                Alison

Comment

Tesco are pretty good at refunds if you say it isnt compatible with your pc they may give you a refund in vouchers ?? I would ask . I personally dont like FTM 2010 I am still using my old one.

Comment

latest suggestion from Russ, restore my computer to before I started having problems, but that would just put me back where I started, unable to load the programme - I didn't have any problems before that !!! What's more that would take me back to before I downloaded Legacy, so I'd have to start that all over again !!!! Not helpful.
                                    Alison

Comment

Well, I've run a complete diagnostic which says my computer is up-to-date with all security fixes, I have all the required .Net Framework applications and I have even upgraded to IE8 and run a registry clean up too. One last attempt tonight and the installation went very smoothly and quickly, I even got an expectant pause when I clicked Finish...then I got the same old error message that it couldn't launch !
                                      Then to add insult to injury, I got a message from Russ suggesting something was obviously conflicting on my computer, perhaps my .Net was out-of-date and I really should try fix 4442, which I've already told him I've done - twice! (I've tried it twice that is, not told him twice!)
                                      So, I'm officially giving up ! I shall persevere with Legacy and see how I get on. After all, it's only a storage devise at the end of the day.
                                      Alison

Comment

Quick update: today i (successfully) loaded the programme on my daughters laptop, which runs with Vista and Norton 360, but as this is no good to me other than to show that the disc works, I uninstalled it again !
                                        Oh well, never mind.
                                        Alison

Comment

What a pain for you. Have you tried ringing ancestry tech people. I know when I had a problem with FTM2008 (who didnt?) they were very good talking me through stuff while they were on the phone. Worth a go anyway.

Comment

Working...
                                          X