No announcement yet.

Family Historian

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you use the Standard query>Relations and 5 nearest relationships you should see both ways in which he is related to you. It shows me that I am not only the root, but also my own 3rd cousin twice and 6th cousin twice - don't ask!!
    Caroline
    Caroline's Family History Pages
    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Thanks Caroline. Sounds complicated but my brain will not work any more tonight! Will have a go in the morning.

Janet

Comment

I think that the 'relationships' have been sorted out in the latest update 4.1.1, because of a lot of intermarrying on my husband's side he was related to himself in various ways and more confusingly our daughter and grandchildren also had various degrees of cousinship with their father and grandfather, however since I downloaded 4.1.1 it all seems to have sorted itself out.

Margaret
        Margaret

Comment

V4 is the latest version. There is a V4.1 release canidate, but that will be a free upgrade for V4 users anyway when it goes fully live.
          Jane
          Family Historian User Group : My Family History : My Photography
          "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."

Comment

I've just checked for updates and it says I'm already running the latest version, which is 4.0.2.
            The upgrade to 4.1.1 is available here: http://www.family-historian.co.uk/do...upgrade-to-4-1
            Sarah

Comment

I to have just checked for updates to be told I am already running the latest version which is 4.0.2.

I really must thank Caroline for pointing me in the direction of using the Standard Query above. Used it this morning with a clearer head:o and have learnt a whole lot more about FH which has made the programme even better in my opinion. I do now find that that the three siblings from one family marrying 3 siblings from another family now relate not only as wife/husband of... but also as Great Uncle and Great Aunt of... so I am well pleased. Probably got lots more to learn, but like Family History itself you can learn gradually. A great programme.

Janet
              Last edited by Janet; 18-04-10, 12:27.

Comment

Originally posted by Janet View Post
                I to have just checked for updates to be told I am already running the latest version which is 4.0.2.

I really must thank Caroline for pointing me in the direction of using the Standard Query above. Used it this morning with a clearer head:o and have learnt a whole lot more about FH which has made the programme even better in my opinion. Probably got lots more to learn, but like Family History itself you can learn gradually. A great programme.

Janet
                No problem - I use that query a lot. I agree - a great program. I don't use all the features by any means, but I use the downloadable custom queries adapted to my own needs along with the flags to show me who I have/haven't got on the censuses as I tend to work from the diagrams.
                Caroline
                Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Just wondering if anyone has downloaded the 4.1 version and what improvements have been added?
                  Regards Roy

Please note that images I restore are only temporarily kept on photobucket

Disclaimer:Benig distalgeesic ayn seplling mitsakes or incorrcet garmmar is puerly conicidnetal nad ni no way reflcets teh inetlligecne of teh authro.

Comment

Originally posted by rbere View Post
                    Just wondering if anyone has downloaded the 4.1 version and what improvements have been added?
                    Lots of changes:

I have downloaded it, but not explored the differences yet - been too busy!!
                    Caroline

Comment

Originally posted by Caroline View Post
                      Lots of changes:

I have downloaded it, but not explored the differences yet - been too busy!!
                      Thanks for that seems quite a lot of small changes, think i'll download it and have a play ............
                      Regards Roy

Please note that images I restore are only temporarily kept on photobucket

Disclaimer:Benig distalgeesic ayn seplling mitsakes or incorrcet garmmar is puerly conicidnetal nad ni no way reflcets teh inetlligecne of teh authro.

Comment

Originally posted by Janet View Post
                        I must admit I prefer to write dates 11 Feb 1887 rather than 11-2-87 or 11/2/87 mainly because the written way is English, rather than American and I know the "2" refers to Feb, instead of wondering whether I should have written 2 November, as the Americans write their dates differently to ours so writing the month means there are no mistakes.
                        FH4 automatically converts a date entered as 11/2/1887 to 11 Feb 1887, so there is no concern over mistakes due to English/American format. As a touch-typist it's just a lot quicker and easier to enter dates using the number pad.

This is also the reason for my complaint about the toggle function using Tab-Alt. In FTM2006, for example, when you use Tab-Alt to toggle between windows, when you toggle back to FTM, the cursor is where you left it, so you can just start typing right away (just as you can in a word-processing program, e-mail program, etc.). But with FH4, when you toggle back to the Focus Window, the cursor has disappeared so you have to go back and reposition the cursor with the mouse each time - which slows down the process of data entry. The cursor does remain in place if you toggle back and forth to the Date Entry Assistant window, so I find it strange (and annoying) that it doesn't work in the Focus Window. It is so handy to be able to toggle back and forth with Alt-Tab without having to reposition the cursor to enter data. Hope that makes sense. It's just an example of a situation in which FTM is more user-friendly than FH4, although I think I do prefer FH4 overall.

I see that this issue was added to the FHUG Wish List last summer, but apparently nothing has been done with it yet. :(

Last edited by Cloggie; 27-04-10, 08:47.
                        Sarah

Comment

Cloggie,

Only now just seen your post. You are ahead of me on FH4. I am still very much learning and I don't touch type. I had not realised that FH4 tends to automatically write the dates, but I am happy with that. I understand that FH4 is closer to the old Generations Grande Suite. I was used to Generations, so I think that is probably the resaon I have taken to FH4.

Janet

Comment

Working...
                          X