Gower, Hull, mystery person

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gower, Hull, mystery person

I have an Frank Stanley Gower born 1902 Hull, Yorkshire who married Elsie M Freebody in 1936 Hull. According to family memories they had a daughter. Elsie died in 1946 Hull. Frank ( known as Stanley) commited suicide in 1950 after the death of his daughter. Apparently she just sat down on a park bench and died. Who was she? Any one any ideas? I have searched births with mother Freebody and not found any. Also looked for Gower deaths before 1950 and not found any females young enough. Can any one help to unravel this mystery?

PS Elsie M Freebody was born Bermondsey, London

Had Frank been married before?

Did they have a daughter before they married?

Not sure where you've found Elsie's birth as Bermondsey but this looks like her, registered in Hull

Births Sep 1900
    Freebody Elsie May Hull 9d 320
    Jay

Comment

Yes that does look like her in Hull!
      Don't know if he was married before- don't think so. Not sure when daughter was born.

Comment

I have found a
        BIRTH; Kathleen H Freebody born 1921 Hull
        MARRIAGE; Kathleen H Freebody and Frederick Clark - Queens Road Methodist Chapel, Hull 1941
        Death; Catherine Clark 38 Paragon, Hull 1950

Do you think this could be the missing daughter?

Comment

Someone aged 38 in 1950 would be born 1911/1912.
          Jay

Comment

Ooops, yes they would! Case of trying to make it fit without thinking!!!

Comment

Do you have Frank's death cert, or even a date of death? If he committed suicide there would have been an inquest and inquests are reported in the local papers. It may mention the name of his daughter, or you could trawl backwards to try to find a suitable death announcement in the paper.

OC

Comment

Well this is Frank's death

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...eath93&indiv=1

and this is Elsie's death

So if it were Elsie and Frank's daughter she was probably born between 1936 and 1946!

Do you know what Elsie died of in 1946? There is a June E Gower who died who was not even a year old in 1947 in Hull registered in the Jul-Sep Qtr. Elsie's death was registered in the Oct-Dec Qtr of 1946.
                Last edited by Guest; 07-02-10, 19:53.

Comment

Date of death 1950 Hull.
                  Can you search newspapers on line?

Comment

I just know Elsie died at end of war.
                    Daughter sat on seat in park and died, think family mentioned heart attack but not sure.

Comment

Are you sure it wasn't Elsie who sat on a seat and died?

My great grandmother died of a heart attack brought on by grief when her only son was reported missing at the end of WW1.

Erm......no she didn't, she died in the flu epidemic in 1919 and her son was present at her death!

What I mean is - I'd start with Frank's death cert, to make sure he did commit suicide.

No, you can't search local papers online but some libraries will do a quick look up for you - you have a death year. Or ask someone on here if they will look for you next time they are in the library.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by GrandmaSilver View Post
                        I have found a
                        BIRTH; Kathleen H Freebody born 1921 Hull
                        MARRIAGE; Kathleen H Freebody and Frederick Clark - Queens Road Methodist Chapel, Hull 1941
                        Death; Catherine Clark 38 Paragon, Hull 1950

Do you think this could be the missing daughter?
                        Shouldn't she have the surname GOWER? And she'd have to be aged 14 (at the very most) or less?

Christine
                        Last edited by Christine in Herts; 07-02-10, 20:35.
                        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I just did a search on Ancestry for deaths 1946±10, where the birth year was 1946±10, and got no hits at all. This seems implausible - and I suspect is a result of an unforeseen glitch. You'd think that there would be (very sadly) some infant deaths in that period.

Christine
                          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                            Are you sure it wasn't Elsie who sat on a seat and died?

OC
                            Yes that was my thinking. Lots of stories get mixed up over the years. Might have a grain of truth but slightly different to the story passed down.

Its probably best to order either Frank's or Elsie's death cert - reg numbers above on the links I posted but if you need I'll go get the numbers for you GrandmaSilver.

Comment

Working...
                            X