"Put Your Pennies in Here" website

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Put Your Pennies in Here" website

My father used to describe tatty-souvenir shops as "Put Your Pennies in Here" shops, on the basis that you would be spending your money on things which were worthless.

A RootsChat thread has drawn attention to this website:
    http://australiarecordshub.com/crimi...iminal&id=cr1y
    "Australia Public Record Directory"
    "Search over a billion public database records instantly.
    The most complete Australia public database available."
    with evidence to suggest that it may not be entirely worthy of investment by researchers.

It works by...
    ...you put in a name, and it comes back with information "AVAILABLE", and you are invited to spend your hard-earned pennies to find out what that information is.

One hopes that they do have useful information for some people...
    HOWEVER
    It is amazing for just what names information is "available"...
    People put in the rarest names in their trees, and in every case information was "available".
    I decided to go for broke and put in "Ichabod PAFOOT" (I have PAFOOT in my tree, but none with that particular first name!)... information was "available".
    Someone else went for the name "Rip Me Off". Amazingly information was "available"!
    And, just for fun, I just tried "Australia Criminal Records" as a first, middle and surname and - you've guessed by now, I'm sure - information is "available", provided I want to go through their T&C etc!

I leave you to judge whether or not this is a site you would wish to use.

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...
Working...
X