Smith Family - Stoke Newington, Surrey, Kent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smith Family - Stoke Newington, Surrey, Kent

I am new to this Forum and am seeking members who may have information or be able to help with the Smith side of my tree.

My Great Grandfather, William Charles Smith was born in 1836 in Stoke Newington and married Emma Farley. At some point the family moved to Surrey where they had children George, Arthur, Edith, Ellen, Emily, Emma and Charles Walter.

I am trying to find out more about my Smith ancestors and in particular what happened to the descendants of the family above.

Smith being such a popular name creates its own difficulties so any help will be welcome

Kind regards,

Do you know where in Surrey they moved to? Do you have this family on any censuses?
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

What was williams occupation and the date of his marriage

Comment

Welcome to FTF, Robert. Since you've already had a couple of replies, you'll have gathered that we're a friendly and helpful lot, on the whole.

In part-answer to Jac's question, I reckon I've found the marriage on FreeBMD: 1863 March-Qtr Chertsey

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I don't know if those names are given in sequence?

In Chertsey, in the period 1863-1883:
          There's a George SMITH whose birth was registered in the same quarter as the marriage, and a George John SMITH six months later, and a George W SMITH 1866 Jun-Qtr, plus another few with/out other given names as well as George.
          There are seven Arthurs with/out other given names.
          There are only a couple of Ediths without other given names: 1866 and 1872, both Sep-Qtr.
          There are nine Ellens with/out other given names - but Ellen is a chameleon name which appears also as Eleanor, Ellie, Nell, Nellie, Nelly...
          Three are ten Emilys with/out other given names. Emily can be a chameleon name, too, but you list an Emma (a common variant - or diminutive) separately.
          There are six Emmas with/out other given names (actually, one's transcribed as "Emme").
          Although there are some Charleses, there aren't any Charles Walter SMITHs at all (even taking out the year-limits).

Christine
          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Originally posted by Little Nell View Post
            Do you know where in Surrey they moved to? Do you have this family on any censuses?
            Yes, they moved to Limpsfield in Surrey (Moorhouse) and appear in the 1881 census, Class RG11, Piece 805, Folio 19, Page 29, Line GSU roll 1341190

Comment

William was a Coachman and he married Emma (Farley). Sadly, I have temporarily lost some data that I am in the process of retrieving from my old computer which died recently so I don't have the date of the marriage immediately to hand.

Comment

Ellen and Edith seem to be here, in Chelsea, in 1891:
                RG12; Piece: 61; Folio 76; Page 5

Christine

Comment

I feel quite proud of myself(!). I've just manged to retrieve my electronic family tree data thatsuffered in my old PC. So I can confirm that William married Emma 29th January 1863 in Weybridge, Surrey.

Comment

Very helpful, and to comment on your first post I can tell already that you are right about people on this Forum being generally friendly and helpful. I actually joined feeling I had got as far as I could on my tree having been on the point of giving up (at least for a while) so I have let my Ancestry subscription lapse. Do you know of any way of printing this census page without renewing?

Robert

Comment

I've sent you a PM, Robert.

Christine

Comment

Working...
                      X